Customer reviews

Siren Song Of The Counter-Culture
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 September 2017
It's a gift so I'm sure he will love it
on 15 August 2005
Before I bought this album, I hadn't heard much of it, but a friend spoke very highly of it. As i listened to the album all the way through i was totally amazed at how brilliant it really was. The start of the first track is such a punk rock/metal riff, and is a great start to the album. The lyrics are brilliantly written and aren't just about random crap, but have a lot of meaning to them. The music fits so well with the vocals making each song truely immense, and they are talented musicians . Stand out tracks are 'Blood to Bleed'and 'Tip the Scales'and no track sounds the same, as you are likely to find on many punk albums. This is easily one of the best albums i own, and i have over 150. I urge you to buy this album if you like fast paced, hardcore punk rock, like AFI.
on 11 June 2005
To be honest I wouldn't usually listen to these sorts of bands but after hearing this I imediately became a fan of RA. I first heard 'give it all' on nfsu2 and it was my favourite track on the game. I then noticed their song 'paperwings' on burnout 3 and that became my favourite song on that game too. I then bought this album and was amazed at the quality of the lyrics and the musical talent. I listened to it over and over again all night. My fave tracks are 'paperwings' 'dancing for rain' and 'swing life away'.
I think this is one of the best albums ever and you don't even have to like this sort of style. As long as you like music you WILL LIKE THIS!!!!!! Trust me!!!! So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and buy this now!!!!!!
on 2 December 2004
Well this is the 3rd album from Rise Against. Probley the 2nd best as Revolutions per minute was the best ever. Rise against have come on leaps and bounds since i first heard them. This album puts acoustic and heavy guitaring together like they were meant to fit. The first song is fairly heavy but no worries as the ablum is arranged superbly with the acoustic parts at the end part of the album. Rise Against one of my best bands ever as they have great lyrics and music. The best songs on here are deffinatly Paper Wings and Blood to Bleed. If you havent got any albums from Rise Against then get Revolutions per minute first as it is the best album. Please dont waste your money on rubbish get this!
on 5 September 2004
Rise Against's new album 'Siren Songs of the Counter Culture' is a must have for any Rise Against, or punk, fan. Following on from their 2nd album 'Revolutions per Minute' this is a big success. I still would prefer to listen to 'Revolutions per Minute' but if you've ever heard it then you would understand how no other album could come to be competition to it.
Yet again in this album the lyrics are so meaningful and heart-felt. The guitaring is spot on, bass lines are nice and fast and as are the drum beats. Rise Against still have their fast, aggresive side to them but in one of the songs they turn acoustic which has a pretty cool outcome. You've got to listen to them.
I advise you to purchase 'Revolutions per Minute' as it is amazing and if you enjoy it (I shouldn't expect you not to) then get 'Siren Songs of the Counter Culture'.
Overall, it is a really good album. You can never go wrong with Rise Against!!! The best 'fat wreck' band I have ever heard. They truly are talented.
Keep it up Rise Against, I just hope they will keep writing music as they are doing just now. They have to be the best band I have heard.
on 24 March 2006
This band is ace and is definately one of my golden finds this year! First of all i wouldnt normally touch punk type bands with a barge pole as i like my heavy guitar riffs and roaring vocals too much. But when i heard the singers powerful yet raspy voice i knew that this was a punk rock band i was gonna love. The guitar riffs are catchy yet heavy...the drums are unbelievably fast which gives the music energy ive just not experienced before. Despite the heavy guitars and drums the vocals are understandable and the lyrics meaningful. I would like to reel off a few band names that have a similar sound to these guys...but i honestly cant think of any that come anywhere near their sound!! There sound is truly unique (to my knowledge), kind of like the energy and raw passion of system of a down, punky elements of offspring with the raspy vocals, meaningful lyrics and desperation of kurt cobain. I thought id heard every type of rock, punk and metal band going - but when a band pulls the best of each genre and actually opens your mind to something new...i cannot fail to sing their prasies....a well earnt 5 stars! Right, im off to check out their other stuff...
on 1 May 2005
I had never heard of Rise Against until January, when my boyfriend asked me to buy him the album while I was in Florida, as he was having trouble finding it. Needless to say, I had a sneaky listen, and so had to get it for myself, because I love it so much! It is an absolutely amazing find and I would highly recommend it.
You don't have to be a hardcore fan to enjoy it, and , as with others, State of the Union worried me a bit a first, but upon further listening I fell in love with all of the songs. I have quite diverse musical tastes anyway, ranging from Blink 182 to System of a Down to Hot Action Cop, so I would say that most rock fans in general would appreciate the musical and lyrical skill in Rise Against's work. I have since been accumulating their previous CDs, and I am actually going to see them play in Glasgow this Friday. the 7th May! Buy it, it'll change your life for the better!
on 14 October 2004
As mainly a blink 182, Sum 41 and Green Day fan, i was glad and pleased to stumble across this lil' gem of an album that i can't put down at the moment. I heard 'Paper wings' while playing Burnout 3 on my PS2 and kept crashing coz i was trying to change the track back to that same one all the time. But 'Paper wings' is definitely my favourite on the album along with 'Swing away'. It is definitely in a different class to most of the stuff i listen to normally. The guitar and the voice on the album is constantly heavy and driveing the album, especially with the fantastic solo on (once again) 'Paper Wings'. Overall a fantastic album and a fantastic buy for anyone wanting more than their usual typical share of 'maintstream' punk-rock, even though Blink 182's most recent album is definitely a superb brake from the norm by them.
on 8 April 2005
This album is the best I've heard all year. I'm not normally a fan of punk quite this heavy and layered, but the sheer class of the album makes it a must for any punk or hardcore fan.
Opener 'State of the Union' is one of the heaviest and 'shoutiest' songs on the album, and I must say worried me the first time I stuck it in the CD-player, not being my cup of tea, usually. It's grown on me, but isn't as good as many of the tracks on here - my favourites are 'Life Less Frightening', 'Paper Wings', 'Tip the Scales' and 'Dancing for Rain', but this is one of those albums where different people will have different favourites, because the standard is consistently very high. The mellow 'Swing Life Away' is a brilliant little sing-along-quietly song, but Rise Against bang it up a notch after this for the closing song, 'Rumours of my Demise...' another favourite.
This was the first Rise Against album I brought - I'd heard 'Like the Angel' off their previous album, but that was it - and I was amazed. I got 'Revolutions per Minute' based on how much I like this, but don't think it's quite the same standard.
I can't recommend this album highly enough - any kind of punk fan, from Blink and stuff like that through Less Than Jake and the Descendents, to Bad Religion and Black Flag and Funeral for a Friend, should give this a listen. Brilliant stuff.
on 8 March 2008
This album reminds me of the first time I listened to stuff like Green day or Offspring, way back in the day (and before they became, let's face it, rubbish).

The songs are fast-paced, full of energy, passion, souring choruses and driving guitars, all layered under the singers' passionate raspy voice and the bands' backup harmonies.

I think this is going to sit on my car stereo for a while to come.

Buy it!