on 3 August 2005
Great to see Pete and Pete finally out on DVD, this show has only been on satellite TV in the past, so quite a few people
will not have seen or heard of the show. The stories are about the Wrigley family, Mom, Dad and their sons, both named Pete!
A modern comparison would be Malcolm In The Middle, similar humour and storylines. Definitely recommended.
The Adventures of Pete and Pete is a rather surreal and innovative children's comedy. It's about two brothers living in a peaceful suburban neighbourhood (actually Leonia, New Jersey but called Wellsville, USA). The episodes show a very strange and bewildering world as seen through the eyes of two young boys. They are brothers and are both named Pete. At the time of filming Big Pete is 15 and Little Pete is 10. This cult series also features their embarrassing dad, the metal plate in their mom's head, Artie the spandex-wearing super-hero, and Petunia - little Pete's tattoo. The series goes out of it's way to be slightly oddball - like there is the obligatory 'big final sports game the school must win with underdogs' episode, but typically it's not baseball or football as expected, the Pete's are in the school's highly competitive drum majorette marching band and 'odd's on' favourite to win the final. This DVD set has twelve episodes from the first series (four as `bonus' episodes), plus a couple of the original `shorts' that sparked this award winning programme. There are also a few numbers from the featured band Polaris. The episodes are all wittily narrated by big Pete (and unlike `The wonder years' his thoughts retain a fresh youngster's somewhat bemused perspective).

My son (10) and daughter (12) have loved watching these episodes many times, and even mum and dad have found them very entertaining. One of my favourite episodes here is `Tool and Die' (a clever and thoughtful skit based around school woodwork teaching).

A cut above the average kiddies sitcom that deservedly won a Cable Ace Award for Outstanding Children's Series. We have now ordered series two (NTSC two DVD set) for another fourteen Pete & Pete episodes. For girls also try the similar vintage 'Clarissa explains it all, series one', or for braver boys 'Eerie Indiana'. Plus don't forget UK home-grown child sitcom classics like 'The worst witch', Young Dracula and 'My parents are aliens'.
on 3 August 2009
Lately I've felt driven to take myself back to my childhood. Not wanting to go down the route Michael Jackson walked in this endeavour, I opted to get hold of some of the classic TV I remember from my youth.

Pete & Pete was pretty near the top of the blissful, innocent time of my life I wanted to revisit. I was not disappointed at all. This double DVD contained a few episodes I remember vividly (Range Boy, King of the Road and The Nightcrawlers) which really took me right back to 1993, and a number of treats I didn't remember at all.

Also, I noticed a couple of surprising guest stars - Michael Stipe and Steve Buscemi!

I'm just rambling now. If you remember this show at all fondly from your youth, go and buy it. If you're anything like me, you'll smile happily for the full 294 minute run time.
on 11 September 2005
Well I can't beleive they finally released this on dvd, i thought it was forgotten forever!! I would recommend this to anyone who is still in touch with their inner child and who loves old nickelodeon shows and hates the new crap they come up with (Drake and Josh ha). Actually i recommend this to anyone!! Please do check out this show if you havn't already seen it and you like surrealism. The characters are great! Hey if you hate it you can always sell it for someone else to enjoy! As for the Malcomn in the middle comparison, where it could be compared to it, it is much better and the characters are far superior. And the humour is not the same. Hope this is helpful!
on 8 September 2005
I can't believe they have actually released this on dvd at last!! I thought it was forgotten forever and now it is released i am so happy. I don't really know a way to describe it to people who havn't seen it so i will just say it is a surreal show about two brothers with the same name, narrated by the older pete. It goes into different story every episode, all weird in a good way. My favourite character has to be busdriver Stu Benedict!! He is so funny. Oh and about the malcomn in the middle comparison, where it could be described like that it is a lot better in the fact that it is more surreal and the characters are much better. I would recommend this to people who miss old nickelodeon and hate the new stuff they come up with (ahem drake and josh!)
on 2 June 2008
The Adventures of Pete & Pete: Season 1 [1993] not including Michelle Trachtenberg. I am slowly trying to get a collection of the earliest works of some actors and M T is one. She appears in some episodes of season 2 and 3, but not in any of season 1.

For those who look to Nickelodeon Rewind Collection this seems to be one of those typically rated as 5 of 5. First viewings, I found the Valentine's Day Massacre episode, death of the school squid, as useful as it showed me that some of those including Tracht might be that 5 of 5 for me too. Otherwise I needed to rate this collection lower, but some of the others are obviously special.

After a year or so with seasons 1 and 2 I now rate both as 5x5. I also rate this as the best series I have of kid's television series. It was not an obvious conclusion to arrive at.