TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 July 2017
This could possibly be my favourite Nirvana album, this sounds stupid considering everything else they released, but there's something about these live recordings, a mixture of growing up as a teenager seeing this session on MTV, the realness of the sound over a studio recording, the covers thrown into the mix, especially David Bowie's the Man who sold the world.
I think this meant a lot to me over the years for much more than just the music.
A great album, which is well pressed on the vinyl version and well worth owning.
on 2 August 2017
First of all I should say that I'm not the biggest fan of the band but I remembered seeing clips of this performance and thought it would be an interesting listen. It is. There is no denying that Nirvana knew how to write songs and they really come alive in this setting, Generally I find myself getting bored of their albums about halfway through but this is something else. Very pleased to see the addition of the Meat Puppets as guests too.
on 23 March 2018
Some albums deserve to be heard in vinyl, and this is definitely one of them. The quality of the album itself is 10/10 with no skips, crunch or fuzz. I’d highly recommend it to any music enthusiast, a must have for all true Nirvana fans. Buy it, don’t think about buying it, just buy it.
on 20 September 2012
How can you make Nirvana sound even more bleak, dark and sarcastic? Well unplug them apparently. It really does work, the songs take on a fragile, delicate, made of glass type feel which actually gives them even more power, there are occasions where it doesn't quite work, with certain songs getting a bit too laid back and occasionally threaten to put you to sleep, it doesn't happen enough to ruin the album but it is just enough to mean that this shouldn't be your first port of call for a Nirvana album, although it is a nice addition to a collection.

When it does work the songs can really benefit taking on a whole new depth and level of emotional clout; demonstrated best with `On a Plain' and the heartbreaking `Something in the Way'. The gentle voices between some of the tracks subtly adds a strange feel to the album, the overly hushed voices of the band, who seem to sound out of their depth, or at least seem to give that impression, its like the whole album takes on a voyeuristic undertone. The polite clapping is also oddly disconcerting for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on.

Obviously the songs in their original form are where you want to go to first, but it is always nice to see a bit of experimentation especially when done well, like this.
on 27 May 2017
Definitive to hear nirvana do what they wanted to do..not what the record label wanted. The three trax with the meatpuppets stand as things of beauty..and oh me so incredible too. Probably their finest performance and an artist sadly,sadly missed.
on 3 May 2017
Such an underrated album. Must have for any Nirvana or rock fan. I must warn you - it is a sad melancholic tune... R.I.P. Kurt Cobain, always remembered never forgotten
on 13 February 2015
I had the white vinyl version back when I also had The Voyd w/ pslit phase psu, AN wiring in a Helius Orion II tonearm to a Denon DL-304 MC cartridge. This fed my Sowter step-ups to my valve phono-pre-power, then to AudioNote AN-J's.
WOW! it sang beautifully! The recording quality of this album is second to none. The performances, brilliant, especially the double bass. It's nice to hear acoustic instruments used, and so well miked-mixed-eq'ed-etc-.... It's a joy to hear through a good system.
Now I only have the CD from Amazon. It's playing thru Marant CD52, ECC82 cathode follower w/ Alps Blue Volume (50Kx2) and Ansar film/foil caps, to a SRPP 6N2 feeding an EL34 per channel. These drive KEF 103/3. Nice to hear that it's a well-made cd. Often different releases of the same album vary badly. This just plays better than most studio recordings. I won't bother to try finding the FLACs!
on 16 May 2017
Nice record. It looks nice and sounds great. Very good for its price (I bought it for 11.99).
The album itself is one my favourite Nirvana's albums. I really enjoy the unplugged version of the songs.
on 14 October 2017
Great unplugged album. Do remember watching this on MTV all them years ago and it’s as good today as it was then..... oh and then there was a steal of a price and a free auto-rip so I’m happy as Larry
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 May 2011
This album is great and shows the whole band on their top game.Cobain's solo rendition of Pennyroyal tea is brilliant even though he messes up a bit but the rest of the songs are truly a class of their own.Their is a lot of death references throughout the album and shows the state of mind Kurt was in at the time.Even just listening to this album somehow you just know this is an individual who wasn't going to last very long.Well you know the rest...The world lost a great talent.My only wish is that they performed heart-shaped box,it would have been stellar if they performed it acoustically.I thought the editing of the album was done well and your not listening to people talk for 5 minutes or anything like that.All the tracks are killer and there is not one bad performance on any of the songs.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse