on 13 September 2013
Bought after seeing the wonderful documentary 'Storyville' where some of the soundtrack is taken from this CD. I absolutley adore the CD, the tracks 'The Land beyond' and 'True Adventures' are particular favourites, I dont know how to compare with other music, I am a 'bit of an oldie'-I'm in my mid 60s, so I shall use words such as melodic, beautiful, delicious, sensitive, some tracks have me dancing away and singing (poor family) some tracks are so very lovely they make me stop and stay still, they even have made me shed a very slient tear, lovely things make me do this.....
Buy this and you will see what I mean.
on 30 July 2014
Excellent band, lush melodies and great guitar play. Sometimes not so sure about the vocals but just get away with them.
There is a sweeping power to their music which reflects their grand name and the wonders of Britain. They have been going for a few years now and have always been at worst an interesting band.
on 16 September 2010
I have to admit I was a little disappointed with Open Season when it first came out. The Decline Of British Sea Power had an immediacy and edge that Open Season appeared to lack when compared directly. However given time I came to love the more considered, mellow approach of Open Season (I must have done, having bought two CDs [gave one away] and a vinyl copy!), and now I find myself happy to award it 5 stars.
on 7 February 2014
This is probably my favourite BSP album. I can listen to this several times in a go. I live in a small seaside town, and loved all the sound effects of herring gulls in some of the songs.

Everything from the Polar Bear illustration on the cover, to the last song (True Adventures is a particular favourite teach of mine) pleased me immensely.
on 23 November 2017
these guys rock
on 14 April 2018
The best
on 8 February 2016
Another great cd by B.S.P.
on 2 March 2013
I first discovered 'British Sea Power, after purchasing 'From the sea to the land beyond' so bought this album to check them out. I have to say that this is so far their strongest album, I have lost count of how many times I have played it.
on 27 July 2015
Superb album, I advise anyone looking for a first BSP experience to put Open Season top of the list
on 22 May 2006
This is a great album with some wonderfully catchy songs. It can however be accused of sounding all the same. This doesn't really affect me much as I rather like, as i'm sure many people will, the soft voice and deep lyrics backed by a great, soft rock-style band. A great album which many could listen to all day. I bought this on a whim, not having heard of any new bands recently, and I was not disapointed. If you like that new trend of soft rock that's around right now, you will like this.