Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 April 2005
Comprising excerpts from some 38 songs released on the Vertigo label mostly in the early 70's, this is in effect a sister album to the magnificent "Time Machine - A Vertigo Retrospective". Andy Votel does a superb job in mixing the songs into one continuous piece lasting almost 70 minutes, occasionally with the aid of what I imagine are newly recorded spoken links. Most of the artists are also on "Time Machine", although only in a minority of cases are the songs the same. Everyone will have their own favourite section, but for me the (Oh No Not) The Beast Day (Marsha Hunt's 22)/Three Sisters (Affinity)/Willie The Pimp (Juicy Lucy) section takes some beating! Different and fun, this is another very worthwhile addition to the Vertigo canon.
on 23 December 2005
This is easily one of the best chance buys I have made in a very long time. A few of the band names I already knew (Heep, Manfred Mann etc) but most were completely new to me. But what an album. Who could have believed that 'Progressive Rock' could sound so groovy. I guarantee you'll drive yourself crazy trying to pinpoint which of the samples relates to which band - and then spend the next 2 months trying to track down copies of all the original albums. If you want something thats jazzy, funky and totally rocks - buy this! Bring back rock flute!! Halleluiah!!!
on 4 August 2006
A sterling job from Mr. Votel - gets better with each repeated listen but may also infuriate many listeners who just want to hear the entirety of the songs sampled (Marsha Hunt's 'The Beast Day' being my particular desire!) Whoever now owns the right to Vertigo's back catalogue should pull their finger out and get these titles remastered and reissued immediately! The box set was fine but only served to further frustrate in some ways. Apparently a German label, Repertoire, have issued quite a few Vertigo titles on CD as have an Italian label, Arkama, but I'm not sure of the legality of these releases and they certainly haven't been remastered. Jump to it you faceless record industry types!
on 5 August 2009
WOW! I must have owned this album for about a year and a half now, and I still adore it. Even more so now that I have tracked down some of the artists and albums featured.

Recommended albums: Cressida (selftitled), Affinity(selftitled), Agitation Free -2nd, Dr.Z -three parts to my soul, Manfred Mann -volume 3, part 1, Atlantis -its getting better, Beggars Opera -waters of change.

Loads more to find. Also it has now got me off at a tangent discovering the wonders of Krautrock. (Atlantis and Agitation free are German).

But anyway, this crazy mix is probably the most rocking, exciting dj mix I ever heard. I would love him to do loads more like this. But heck, maybe I can attempt one myself? That'd be a challenge!

If you wanna get into prog, this is a fantastic place to start. FANTASTIC!
on 23 December 2005
This has got to be one of the best albums I have bought in a very long time. There are so many excellent snippets of funky/jazzy/rock tunes on this CD that you'll go crazy trying to figure out where you can buy that 28 seconds of Affinity's All Along the Watchtower - just to hear what the rest of the song sounds like. Who could ever have thought that 'Progressive Rock'could should soooo groovy. Amazing stuff. We need more rock flute in popular music these days!!!
on 5 November 2014
I was just wondering if that mess at the start of track 4 is supposed to be there. It sounds like the disc is repeating and skipping for about 10 seconds or so yet the timer shows all is okay. Very annoying and unnecessary effect if put there on purpose. The music is, of course, superb. I wish I'd kept all my old Lps from the day... Buy it while you still can,
on 4 August 2010
Found a copy in the local library, by pure accident! Loved it sooooo much i bought a copy. What can i say, that has'nt been said before.....other than it's one of the best retrospective collections you could own, and the bonus is that Andy Votel's mix is fanatastic....go out now and get a copy...or your money back!!
on 26 June 2007
How someone could have the gaul to take this classic stuff remix it with silly effects and put it on the market is beyond me. I've never heard such a travesty, it has no artistic merits and doesn't even warrant as a 'compilation' The whole point of a song is to hear the complete thing, not a silly thirty second snippet or have it fade into something else. Don't get me wrong the Vertigo out put was in a class of its own, but this is like taking say, a painting by constable and putting a space ship in the sky or changing the sky to blue to grey. What right had Andy Votel to manipulate these great songs. Arrogance or not? This reminds me of those awful Tony Prince tapes that interspersed sixties hits with incessant drum beats to make them more trendy. This is just as bad or perhaps worse because it insults the groups that made this wonderful music and turns it into nothing but Disco 45. Who this is meant for i just don't know. The vertigo enthusiasts (like me) will find this sacrilege and those that are into this type of thing will probably be wondering what is going on. What is next? What about destroying the Harvest back catalogue or Elektra?
33 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse