Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 August 2005
I have been a admirer of Nate Jame's music for some time now and this brilliant debut album has certainly confirmed for me that the British RnB scene has a promising new star.
A very upbeat album, full of big band sounds and absolutely superb for playing at top volume wherever you are this summer.
Every single track is strong and grows on you with each play. My favourites are The Message and Justify Me, which demonstrates his versatility perfectly.
Enough talk - go and get this and you'll know why everyone is raving over Nate James at the moment!!
on 22 September 2005
Set the tone goes to show that not all R n' B at the moment has to sound the same. The production may be a bit obvious, but the real stand out thing on this album is the song writing. A great soul\pop cross over with Stevie undertones takes away the bland element of current urban music, and uses melody to work the song. No doubt R n' B snobs will pass this on as too pop, but people should remember pop stands for popular, and Nate should proove to be so. Hope to hear more like Universal and The Message in the future. Well done Nate!
on 12 May 2006
I love music and my love of music often means I gamble with my purchases, buying debut albums or lesser known artists means that for every 10 you buy you uncover one gem. For me Nate James was a gamble which paid off. If you cut this album through the centre it would have the word QUALITY written through it.

The Artist is a talent. James' vocals are refreshing, soulful and brilliantly executed. His song writing is just as good. The songs work across a spectrum of styles, uptempo, mid and slow but the key to their success is that they all extremely well written with strong verse and chorus. Production values are strong, you often wonder with smaller independant labels whether the production will sound small but rest assured this is not the case. Big arrangements support where needed but most importantly it feels like time and money was spent to craft an album, not a selection of songs.

Don't get hung up on where James is from, it's the music that makes it stand out from the crowd and if it came packaged with the words "Made in USA" then you would not be surprised. The fact that he's British just makes you think cool. I'm writing this long after my time of purchase and only decided to add my review whilst browsing amazon and realising that good new music needs as much support as possible.

If you like Soul R'n'B to have heart, funk and strong melodic songs then this is for you. If you have in your collection, stuff from the 80's soul weekender experiences where groove and vocals are important, then you will love this. Can't wait for album number two.
on 15 November 2007
I only discovered this CD album recently after learning to Ceroc, they played about 5 tracks from the album in the classes and they are great fun to dance to and really funky. 'Said I'd Show You' and 'Funky Love' are the best ones for Ceroc though 'Set The Tone' and 'Can't Stop' work really well too. I listen to this in the car all the time too, there's also a wonderful slow song 'Justify Me' that nearly makes me cry listening to the beautiful lyrics. I often hear these songs when i'm out shopping and half tempted to start dancing there and then in the middle of Gap!
on 11 June 2013
I bought this cd after seeing nate perform on "the voice" where he was attempting to re ignite his singing career. This reminded me of the track of his from a few years ago called "set the tone" which i remembered quite liking. This spured me on to buy the album, and after reading possitive reviews on amazon i decided to give it a go. i must say i believe it was an inspired descision. Nate has a very soulful voice that completely suits this genre of music, and although this genre can, at times, sound a little bland his voice does all the songs justice, particularily the title track which is superb.
i think its a shame he only made it to the first knockout stage of "the voice" as i think he deserves a second bite of the cherry.
all in all it is a well produced and pleasant album and hopefully nate will get the second chance he deserves.
on 25 September 2005
I bought this album after hearing a couple of his singles, and i was very impressed. It is great to hear such great music from a British artist...he's truly representing!
The album is refreshing, funky and captures the old skool flavour...and many of the tracks are guaranteed to get u up dancing!
Highly recommended!
on 2 October 2009
I purchased this album back when it was released and it's been pretty hard stopping playing it, not that I'd want to. It truly is an incredible album and definitely showcases why Nate James is a British talent to watch out for within music.

It's just a shame that he continues to be so underrated over here, but even then, you know that whenever Nate is releasing something it will always be great, he remains one of those artists who puts everything he has and more into his work.

I would definitely recommend this album to anyone, worth every single penny spent on it.
on 11 October 2011
What an album Nate James Is the don! Love this album adore his second album and everyone needs a bit of Nate in there life! Buy this end of! Justify me is such a beautiful song he should be massive, revival the third album may have spoiled it but this is the best male vocalist and song writer in a long time! Buy it and keep this universal ;)
on 11 August 2005
I bought this album on the strength of reccomendation from friends who had seen Nate perform live, I can say I certainly was'nt disappointed, a great album full of surprises.
I fell instantly in love with the first track Said I'd show you, and the rest of the album lived up to expectations.
A really diverse album,standout tracks for me are The Message, Justify Me, Said I'd Show you, and Impossible.
Well done Nate a great debut album that manages to be funky and soulful, a great album for the car with the windows down!!!
on 10 February 2006
mix of soul, RnB and funk. a truly sensational opening album. look out for album no.2 end of year.
this album is great, up-tempo music, its gets you jigging!
recommend for any music lover.