Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 March 2006
No one is better placed to get inside the heart of Dylan's songs than the woman who once had a place in his own heart. This is the only Dylan covers album you really need, because the soul and passion of her covers is unequalled and unable to be bettered.
It's all very well Judy Collins &c. churning out Dylan covers albums, we all know the songs are great, but what we have here is a radical reinterpretation sung with beauty, elegance and poise, wih backing musicians that Dylan used on John Wesley Harding who all know the songs very well, and flush them out into fuller accompaniments than the Zim permitted on JWH.
But what really counts here is the emotion behind her voice, in songs she clearly cares about and mean something to her, more than they can mean to any other artist. The plangent beauty of Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands and the resignation of Walking Down the Line, the rueful freedom of You Ain't Going Nowhere and the heart-stopping definitive version of Love Is Just a Four Letter Word makes you wonder how many of these songs were actually written about HER? It's the musical equivalent of reading someone's love letters.
One's emotional involvement is enhanced by the exquisite musicianship of Buttrey and all the Nashville top dogs. This album will become a firm favourite; it's certainly in my Top Ten to Take to a Desert Island. It's great value too, because originally it was a double vinyl album. Disregard the two bonus tracks, they're ten-a-penny versions and they spoil the mood of intimacy and poignancy that dominates this songbird's beautiful paean to a former lover.
This is an album of superb Dylan interpretations and its enlightening to hear his work from a female perspective. I heard some of Dylan's songs here first and only later experienced his own versions, for example I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine which is definitely very different (and more beautiful to me) in Baez's version. Other great tracks include I Pity The Poor Immigrant (still as socially relevant as ever), Love Is Just A Four-Letter Word, the heart-breaking Walls Of Redwing (about inmates in a jail), One Too Many Mornings, Boots Of Spanish Leather and Restless Farewell. Everything about this album is just SO RIGHT: her phrasing, the choice of songs and her elegant delivery. This is a classic folk album of the 1960s and also essential listening for Dylan fans. I love it. This re-issue contains two live bonus tracks that were recorded in Japan.
on 10 November 2015
I bought this for sad eyed lady of the lowlands and really got incredibly caught up in her versions of these songs, to the point that this was the default driving album for a week. Still listen to it now and then. Would appeal for obvious reasons mostly to Dylan fans. I am not however a major Dylan fan and would prefer a few of her versions over the originals.
on 7 March 2016
Being a fan of Joan Baez since the early 60`s I was delighted to get this album on cd, I bought the album when it was first released and now to have it on cd is great, plus the 2 live songs from her japan concert, every song is a gem and sung brilliantly by Joan, in fact i`d go as far as to say that Joan is the greatest at singing Bob Dylan`s songs.
on 26 April 2009
As a massive fan of Bob Dylan, whoose songs have been recorded by 100's of artists, I ask myself, what does Joan Baez have to offer ?
Well there are plenty of her interpretations which are of a very high standard, Love Minus Zero/No Limit, You Ain't Going Nowhere, Love Is Just A Four Lettered Word & I Shall Be Released.
However for me Sad-Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands tops the lot.
It's over 11 Minutes long and still I don't want it to stop !
The feeling Joan puts into this one makes it my favourite of any of her recordings.
Who are the contenders for best Dylan cover?
From a very long list, what about The Byrds Mr Tambourine Man, Jimi Hendrix All Along The Watchtower and Johnny Cash Wanted Man.
I can't split them, Joan's vocal puts her up with the greatest without a doubt.
on 28 June 2011
This was a 2LP set of Bob Dylan songs which has been put on one CD. It dates back to 1968 during the Vanguard era. I haven't got any Bob Dylan albums but I have now, sung by Joan Baez. I must say I prefer her voice. There's no doubt that Bob Dylan is one of the best songwriters around. Most of the 18 tracks are excellent and compliments Joan's 2 Vanguard collections.This album is a collector's piece.
on 3 March 2009
As a hugely devoted fan of both Bob Dylan and Joan Baez (I am of their generation) I think that hearing Dylan's great songs sung with the absolutely wonderous voice which is that of Joan Baez is a fantastic experience. Especially so in that Bob Dylan never possessed a singing voice which would assure his acceptance in a Heavenly choir. The only one of my favourites which Joan Baez sings, which is not on this double album, is "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts". I have to say this is a five star set if (underlined) you are a Dylan/Baez fan, although anyone who appreciates music of this genre is likely to enjoy it hugely.
on 14 January 2016
Love this CD it has all my favourites in here. Only wish it gave you the words as my husband disagree over what the words are for Sad eyed lady from the lowlands... Was she deceived?
on 13 October 2015
For all Dylan lovers ! especially Joans version of sad eyed lady. Love it love it love it !
on 6 August 2015