Customer reviews

on 15 November 2006
I cant get enough of this album, this is the first snares album i ever bought, and i must say it is my favorite. it improves on every listen, and there's not many CDs out there that you can say that about! the song names are all hungarian, so i had a friend translate them for me;

Born under an unlucky (lit: bad) star

1. Failure (lit: the state of being unsuccessful)

2. Unlucky (lit: 'luckless')

3. Suicidal Sunday

8. lit: Donkey Bird

9. Gullible

10. lit: Two-heeled Movement

11. Nobody's Song
44 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 January 2012
I've had this album for a few years now and as I keep going back to it I just felt I had to give it a review.

As anyone on here can see it's well respected by most who know Venetian Snares, barring one review and even he said he had been a bit harsh. If I were more schooled in classical music (I love much of it but am not trained, nor do I know much about it I just like a bit of classic FM!) then I may understand the criticism he made that basically it doesn't gel well with the breakcore style of VS.

Personally I think it works a treat. And the fact that VS taught himself to play some violin specially for this album really shows what a dedicated artist he is.

I am in complete agreement with the other reviewer who said that this idea in most other artists hands would have been a failure but this is such a special album from a true artist. I'm not such a big fan of his other work, but I can appreciate it's worth and how daring he's been with it.

'The Hungarian Album' or Ross as I call it with my mates who also love it, is one of those that at anytime, every song is your favourite song, and every time you hear it you love a different thing about it. For me it must be the some of the deepest and most rewarding extreme music that I've heard, and it's almost entirely instrumental.

My personal favourite is Masodik Galamb (the pigeon song) as it builds so eerily and perfectly into the storming bassline at it's peak and then slams into some of the most f***ed up noise I've ever heard leaving you breathless at the end. But it's the instrumentation and variation of drum beats that really gets me. I would love to hear a band playing music like this.

Sod the fact that it may not be the most perfect album, or that from a classical point of view, it's just samples and isn't theorectically correct, but it was a hell of an idea and a hell of an achievement and I for one will be listening to this album every year (usually wintertime) and loving every second of it.

5 huge stars.
on 29 October 2007
Anyone who listens to this kind of music, which is technically referred to as `experimental jungle' by those who sensibly avoid classifying it as `IDM', will already be aware of just what Aaron Funk a.k.a. Venetian Snares can do, but those who aren't so well versed in his back catalogue could be forgiven for assuming he basically just crushes people's heads with 200 bpm gabba in 7/8 time. He does indeed do that a lot. You can tell he enjoys it, too.

But `Rossz Csillag...' proves that he can do pretty much whatever he wants, and does it in style. This album deserves its place alongside the genre classics like Squarepusher's `Hard Normal Daddy' and Mu-ziq's `Lunatic Harness', because it is frankly staggering. He's raided the orchestral sample vault for this record and has shown a real flair for creating dark, movie-soundtrack melodies in the tradition of both classical music and smooth jazz. Typical instruments used here are the string family, and there's some very dynamic use of the trombone. You'd be amazed quite how well these complex and ambitiously instrumented melodies work under VSnares' trademark crisp jungle drum samples as they go reliably insane. All his trademark rhythmic aggression is still here, though it's not everywhere - it's carefully weighted and used sensitively where the mood calls for it. I know what you're thinking - "`mood' on a VSnares record??". Yes, it's here in spades, and it sounds awesome.

We all knew that Aaron Funk is anything but a one-trick pony, but this record goes beyond what we could have expected. The concept of this album is so ambitious and in anyone else's hands it would have been a disappointment, but the gauntlet has been thrown down with such style that it's hard to imagine being able to listen to anything in this vein again without saying "Yeah... but VSnares' Hungarian album is better..."
on 16 April 2015
one of the best breakcore i know
on 12 October 2015
Breakcore at it's finest, intertwine that with some excellent classical pieces from the likes of Edward Elgar and Igor Stravinsky and you've got an album you can listen to forever.
on 13 February 2012
This album is practically perfect. There's only one song where i loose myself feeling the rythem, and that's Kétsarkú Mozgalom, it feels a bit off beat at the end.

The deep and moving sounds of a classical vibe and inconsistent drum and bass move so freely with easy rythem. I actually can't explain most of the songs. And the short dark classical sounding tracks in between are so so peaceful to me, i actually don't realise how dark they are.
on 6 August 2007
As stated above this is as good an electronic album I have heard in years. First track on the album seems to lull you into a false sense of security, with stunning orchestral arrangements throughout getting you ready to relax through an entire album...oh no. Not a chance..The second is so much different, although still with a moving piece of orchestra in the background, no words can describe the way you feel when the awesome drums, snares, bass, everything kicks in and gives you the greatest smile on your face to know that there are still geniuses out there who actually know how to produce twisted electronica with a kick in the balls so fierce that you whimper and come back for more anyway because you like the feel of it! I have been a huge Aphex Twin fan for a long time but in all honesty...he has got to pull his finger out and fast. This album is as close to perfection as you'll get. Trust me..I've only listened to it once so far...
on 24 February 2009
Some things really are just *that* good - and Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett is just one of the happy few.

A sure step away from the hard-as-nails beats present in some of Aaron Funk's other works, this melodious compilation sings to the listener with a combination of beautiful harmonies and strong... well... snares.

The two genres of orchestra and breakbeat merge together perfectly n a fantastic hybrid of the two that really does excell. I can't recomend this album enough.
on 22 May 2005
Well what can I say! This is absolutely ace! I'm a bit of a sucker for electronica when it goes all orchestral ... could be the upbringing, and this is one of the best examples of that class of styles from opposite ends of the musical spectrum.
This pushes the same buttons as when I first heard Plaid's Rest Proof Clockwork merging of all things electronic and classical. Where Plaid take electro/hip hop for their assault on the classical world, Venetian Snares hit straight into firing splintered drum and bass breaks. Trust me, you've never heard the classic Amen breakbeat worked as hard as on this album!
The key to this albums genius is the juxtaposition of smooth flowing orchestral samples set against raw angry breakbeats. The two work so well next to each other, the angular fierce breaks sound wonderfully palletteable next to the soothing string sections.
Yep, this is absolutely fantastic, can't sum up in words how impressed I am by this album.
on 1 September 2010
nice if you like that sort of thing, probably quite confusing if you like the x factor.