Top critical review
12 people found this helpful
Eye wateringly awful
on 6 November 2009
I really, really, really dislike pedants but watching this film has made me one. Why was it made? The first Bridget Jones was a likeable person, in the sequel she is just whinging, annoying and needs to be told to grow up.
I disliked the whole film but these are the real low points
1) The landing in the pig pen that just happened to be in the middle of a field. Slapstick at it's worse
2) The trip to the hairdresser where she turns round in the chair and sees her hair for the first time. Who has EVER gone to the hairdresser and had their hair cut with their back to the mirror?
3)The scene in the chemist where she is miming pregnancy. You go into a chemist, pick up a packet of Clearblue, pay and leave. Simple
4)Standing up at the quiz to deliver the wrong answer - why did she stand up?
5) The lesbian character who falls in love with her - where did that come from and why was it necessary
6) Thailand - yep, all you find there is drugs and ladyboys - nothing else - just those two things. The whole country is just awash with those two things
7) The Thai jail, singing Madonna and her whole life being put into perspective by one line from a fellow inmate
8) The part where Colin Firth's character puts his office phone on speaker so she can deliver her 'saucy message'. If the visitors in his office were so important why would he even pick up the phone, never mind put it on speaker phone!
The point I am making is, if a joke has to be sledgehammered into a situation, then it is best to leave it out. This was a painful, painful film to watch. Also, what happened to Rene Zelweggar? She looked dreadful from start to finish..............