TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 June 2017
Sea Inside [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
This review refers to the Region 1 DVD (see product link above). I purchased this particular version of the film solely because the product description mentions that it's dubbed in English. Unfortunately this is not the case. Both the feature film and the bonus material (director's commentary and a lengthy making of featurette) have Spanish audio only. English subtitles are available for the film and the making of featurette, not for the director's commentary. Unless I haven't discovered them yet? Had I known that I'll have to settle for subtitles, I would have bought the Region 2 product. Disappointing this.

However, the film itself is beautifully written and acted. It tells the true story of a Spanish fisherman, Ramon Sampedro, who, left quadriplegic after a diving accident, fought a decades long battle for the right to die. Javier Bardem is amazing as Sampedro, giving him a warmth that makes you understand how this man could have had such an impact on the people around him as he did. No matter where you stand on the controversial issues addressed, this is a compelling film to watch for anybody.

Edit: When contacted regarding the nonexistent English dubbed audio track, the seller immediately refunded and apologized. Apparently the problem with the misinformation regarding the language is a problem with the product / packing thereof. The back cover clearly mentions English in the languages section. If this refers to subtitles only, this is not made sufficiently clear.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 9 August 2015
Excellent movie and such a strong performance by Javier Bardem. If this was an Englush movie he'd have been a contender for the Oscar. The movie is moving, well paced and provides lots of food for thought regarding Euthanasia.

I used the movie as part of an A level Spanish course I was teaching. The students really got into it too although it would have been better to have Spanish subtitles available because Bardem's accent can be tricky for a learner at times.
on 20 June 2010
This DVD has a very sad theme but shows a man determination not to be totally overcome by his situation. It shows that love can develop in the oddest of situations and I found it a very heartwarming film acted extremely well by all concerned. I would recommend it for anyone who wants to see something refreshing different. It is sad but also has spots of humour which I found endeared the central character to the viewer. The fact that it is in a foreign language at least for me enhanced the film rather than detracted for it. English subtitles are played throughout.
on 20 October 2012
Well, the Sea Inside was definitely different to how I thought it would be, and I find the topic of euthanasia very controversial. Personally, I'm opposed to it for many reasons, but at the same time, I'm not unsympathetic. I find Ramon's story really moving. I loved the way love was shown in the movie, particularly, Ramon's family - Manuela as a Mother figure and Javier, who is like a son to Ramon. I think it is a very artistic movie, but what touched me more was relationships rather than imagery. The character of Rosa particularly appealed to me because in the end, she comes through for Ramon's sake. I think Lola Duenas is a great actress. I suppose I cannot judge or blame someone like Ramon for wanting what he did. But for someone whose life became about death, the Ramon I saw was really strong rather than weak, and he inspired others around him. But, I guess I understand that life ceases to be much, when you cannot do anything for yourself, hence the desire for 'death with dignity'.
Overall, I think it was a thought-provoking film, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
on 7 October 2013
This was a peaceful, sensitive film which succeeds in dealing with the deep issue of Euthanasia for a quadraplegic young man (beautifully played by Javier Bardem), without being dogmatic or black and white. The film manages to be relevant to a broad audience by showing the exquisite beauty and value of life and the value of life.
on 11 September 2016
A beautiful film about the thoughts and dreams of a man consigned to bed after a teenage accident. Painfully sad at times, and brilliant at others.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 December 2013
Javier Bardem is perfect for this film, conveying great emotion throughout even when he's not moving! The story is quite harrowing but it's memorable and illuminates an area of life that often remains hidden from people who aren't immediately affected by such suffering.
on 5 July 2014
I enjoyed this film very much. The storyline is very sad, I found it well acted, I actually saw this film on the television, because I enjoyed it so much I bought it to see again , at the moment it is doing the rounds of the family, so I am looking forward to their reviews on it .
on 7 June 2017
Great price and quick delivery.
on 22 September 2012
As a Spanish teacher I share this film, among others, with my students (be aware of the age restriction). However, it should have Spanish subtitles...otherwise you only focus on the scripts and miss out the audio...I find it a big mistake.