Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 July 2005
The official Gym Class Heroes website describes their musical style as "Indie Hip-Hop with a punk-rock sensibility" It's this variation that brings musical interest to the album.
Having bought the album on a recommendation from a friend, I can only pass on the recommendation... it's not an album that I listen to everyday, but it's excellent for something totally different.
on 11 August 2005
Like the guy above said this is hip hop with a punk rock sensiblity. Lyrically its miles away from standard independant hip hop, not necessarly BETTER than, just different. Thats why Gym Class Heroes are a BREATH OF FRESH AIR . . By that token they are light years away from any rap / R&B artist littering our charts nowadays with R&B(!!??!!), so dont let them put you off this!!. As vocally dextrous as any MC you choose to mention, Travis McCoy delivers his lyrics with a kind of 'underdog's confidence' covering emotions and subjects that across through a wide range of social and anti social behaviour.
Contrary to most hiphop groups or artists GYM CLASS HEROES are a live band, much like the ROOTS, delivering an eclectic sonic backdrop for the rhymes. At times moody and reflective, this band are perfect for anyone who listens to a skate / punk oreintated sound.
It is very good indeed.
on 26 March 2007
This album is kinda hip hop for the non-hip-hop amongst you. I love hardcore metal and the odd bit of bob marley and the like. I saw this band at the give it a name festival. It was the song Cupid's Chokehold that got my attention. I swear I heard the song before, cos I was singing along but didn't really know how??? (It features Patrcik Stump, who I just realised is the singer of Fall Out Boy).

Anyways, I got this album cos it's brilliant for chillin in the summer. Imagine drinkin a cold beer and having a bbq and maybe a smoke on something not quite legal, this would be the perfect soundtrack.

I also hate to say this but I have to point it out, if you had a secret liking for Crazytown then this is the more credible version. After this album I also got the other one,'As Cruel As School Children'. I'd recomend this one to start with, cos that one ain't as good. And also try to catch them live.

Give it a go even if you don't like Hip-Hop, they'll suprise you!
on 5 September 2009
I first heard gym class heroes when my sister borrowed 'As Cruel As School Children' off a friend. I instantly fell in love, and I followed this up by seeing them last september and buying 'The Papercut Chronicles'. Now I didn't know what to expect from this album. I thought it might be like its successor, but what I got was totally different - And I loved it. Every track on the album is lyrical genius, especially the outstanding 'Faces In The Hall', and the surprisingly excellent freestyle 'We Just Freestylin' (Part 2)'. Another thing which makes the album so good is how the band haven't just used generic hip-hop beats, they inlcude a drum kit on I think every song, bar the intro. They also use acoustic guitar and bass guitar, not like the ordinary rap act. Also, they don't rap about guns drugs and money, unlike your everyday rapper. They rap about there own experience of poverty, homophobia, and there everyday misfortune (in 'Everyday's Forecast').
You can think what you want to think about Gym Class Heroes, but in my eyes, they have lost there greatness with the new album. If you are looking for their best work, then I would say but this album, you won't be dissapointed.
on 31 January 2006
I had never heard of this band until the other night. I went to a Fall Out Boy gig and Gym Class Heros were the support act. I was quite suprised at first becuase obviously its not the same genre of music, but isoon reliased why they were supporting! they were an absolutly awsome band to watch live and they sounded great, there was so much bass! i went straight out to get the album the next day! you need to hear these guys!
on 5 May 2007
I'll always love GHC. Their new arsenal of catchy hooks and stronger studio production makes for easier listening than the raw sound of the Crab Apple Kids, but something about their recent association into the nerd-chic indy rock scene doesn't quite ring true with me. I was well acquainted with these guys back when they were still more or less a local Geneva band with a grass roots following; i spent many nights rocking out in dank venues where the crowd was practically on the stage, i saw them hold their own in opening spots for J5 and Blackalicious. Seeing them gracing the sides of soda bottles and being name-dropped by trend-conscious hipsters thus strikes me as a little wierd. To me, they are and always were hip-hop in a pure form, and i always went to their shows with a mob of b-boys. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for their success and and am enjoying their maturation as musicians, but the shift from being those guys you know in a kickass band, to those guys on TV, is never seamless.
on 30 July 2014