VINE VOICEon 29 December 2005
I bought this as a 2nd digicam as 103 pounds was so cheap for the size & spec. I'll keep my bigger, older Kodak DX6340 for its longer zoom and stronger flash (and a film SLR for occasional use). The Optio 50 is genuinely shirt pocket size, has a good zoom which goes wider than many and I could get going immediately with spare NiMH rechargables and SD card. The images are nice and sharp with good colour balance. The low light performance is OK rather than great but what do you expect from such a small camera? I also find the controls easy and about right in terms of the number of options. And I like having a viewfinder, unlike on many small digicams. So, an ideal take anywhere camera for those on a budget.
on 4 June 2013
This is almost a replica of one already owned by me. Unfortunately the screen LED light failed on mine, so I replaced it with this one as I am used to it and cannot get on with the newer - too small to use ones.
on 17 September 2007
This is my second review I write about this poor camera. They never published the first one. The battery issue makes this camera unworkable. There is not point in producing a camera that needs a new pair of batteries every 3 pics. Mine's screen went black and cannot take any picture even with new batteries. What a waste of money.
on 15 April 2015
Rubbish - only did about 20 to 30 photos on each battery recharge and Pentax said it was ok!
on 28 September 2005
this camera is cheap rubbish
you should know better than to get 5MP at this price.
it is slow. won't focus in the dark at all. insists on using the flash even in daylight. 9/10 photos are blurred.
the image quality is worse than a Canon Powershot A60 which is a 2MP camera.
You'd think the Pentax name would mean quality. Not on this camera.
I can only assume the previous reviewer are either first time users or not concerned with quality.
colours are way off. Battery life dreadful.
For a few £'s more go for a Canon A5xx series, Nikon 4600, Fuji Finepix A345 etc. Far better cameras. Made by companies who know how to make camera equipment.
The Ricoh RR530 is THE SAME CAMERA and we all know that Ricoh are a cheap brand - Enough said.
on 24 March 2007
Thought I'd level the score on this camera as theres been quite a few mixed reviews! I was bought this camera by parents at christmas after asking for a camera that was easy to use but still had a good number of settings and options to enhance my pictures with.

This camera has been perfect for both work and play, one of my hobbies is making jewellery and I have used this camera to sometimes take pictures of my creations for eBay - the results have been very impressive! The microphone on the video isn't brilliant, as is the case with most middle range cameras, but the video quality however is still quite good.

HOWEVER, I have had this camera for just over a year and unfortunately it has already bitten the dust, I originally used standard AA batteries and then later switched to the cheaper option of using rechargeable batteries. After about 2 months of using the rechargeable batteries I found the camera would no longer work with just ordinary batteries, which I have heard is quite common??? Something to do with a higher charge rate? It didnt bother me at the time, but recently I have found that the camera will now not accept even the high power rechargeable batteries or at times will work on them for about 30 seconds and then fizzle out.

My parents chose a Pentax camera for me as they have a good reputation for high quality products but this well set up smart little camera has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.
on 24 November 2005
Having previously owned a Pentax 35mm Camera I thought I would upgrade my Olympus Digital to a Pentax Digital. I have been really pleased with it. The pictures are sharp, the delay isn't too long as with other Digital CAmeras. It is really simple to use which is a must for me being a 'techno' phobic. It is nice and small/light weight. Great. Would point out as not too clear that you do need to buy a memory card as an extra.
on 7 September 2007
Yes, I ignored the warnings about the power consumption of this camera and yes I wish I hadn't. Very poor.

That and the fact that I've encountered problems with its use of the USB hub power have made me write this review to warn others to avoid this product and to be wary of other Pentax cameras.

The cable for download is non-standard and peculiar to Pentax and it is very difficult to get hold of a replacement or spare. I had to order one from Hong Kong.

I will never buy anything from Pentax again.
on 15 September 2005
I have seen many reviews on this camera some good and bad, but i think its great!!!!
If your like me and want everything simply but have a great picture at the end of the day this camera is for you. Its:-
1)Light weight (very good for holidays)
2)You can make a home movie (record your mates drunk)
3)Has a nice case, very good zoom
4)Very good battery life (dont keep buying batterys, get a charger and re-use)
One thing i will say you must buy a 54mb card as you can get around 170 photos on that, or 35mins of film. If you have loads of money get yourself 1gb.
Hope this review helps.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 October 2005
I have been entirely happy with my recently purchased example, which is an improvement (time has marched on) over my Olympus C4040z, mainly because it is much easier to carry and is lighter. I have used it in all lights in a variety of situations and am very pleased with all the results. As it only takes 2 AA's and I charge-up four Ni-MH's AA 2500's at a time, carrying two spares is not a problem. I have not seen the equivalent Ricoh referred to. I have been taking photos for nearly 50 years and have had Rollie, Olympus OM and Minolta SLR systems. This is the camera that has led me to finally abandon using 35mm film.