Customer reviews

Eye To The Telescope
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 March 2005
I read the reviews of this album and suspected it might turn out to be the usual bland, identikit solo female stuff that seems to be everywhere at the moment. Well, was I pleasantly surprised! KT Tunstall has a fantastic voice that's incredible versatile, soft and wistful (Silent Sea), gutsy and bluesy (Black Horse and the Cherry Tree) or sweet and feminine (Under the Weather)... none of the tracks on this album, though strong, would be standout, without her amazingly mature and soulful delivery. I'd recommend this if you're a fan of Rosie Brown, Norah Jones or even Feist - but be prepared for something which is just a little bit more than all of them. Powerful, rocky and luscious pop: try it, you might like it.
on 17 October 2017
I hadn't realised how long I'd had this album (12 years) but I still really like it and end up listening quite often. At the time it was a risk based on one song but there's a good mix of upbeat and thoughtful songs with fun and clever lyrics. Black Horse And The Cherry Tree is such a good track.
Recieved today
With thanks
Regards peter58 home
on 18 April 2017
Ok
on 19 June 2015
good tunes
on 10 March 2013
K T Tunstall is so talented. She has a very distinctive voice and her songwriting is wonderful. Her best album in my opinion
on 15 January 2012
What a great voice this woman has, forgot how good she is until I recently purchased this CD, some classics on here, great listening for that long journey...
on 11 January 2005
I first heard KT on Mark Radcliffe's show one evening while driving back from a Moody Blues concert in Bournemouth (I have very eclectic tastes). I instantly took to her music and was really impressed by her obvious talent. This was later confirmed by her performance on Jools Holland, "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree". I pre-ordered her album and haven't stopped playing it since. In a music scene taken up with boy/girl bands and cover versions, it is so refreshing to hear a genuine singer/songwriter for a change.
"Eye to the Telescope" is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. The "Other Side of the World" is one of those songs that hooks you after a few plays (in a perfect world would be a huge hit). Her vocals are particularly strong in "Another Place to Fall" as the band turns up the volume a notch or two. I found myself singing the chorus at full volume in the car. Her gifted guitar playing is plain to hear in the quieter songs on the album such as "Under the Weather" and "Silent Sea". These songs are exquisite. "False Alarm" is another favourite of mine with its exhausting bitter sweet sentiments of love lost. In contrast, "Suddenly I See" is really uplifting, (I would love to know who its about).
Some people have tried to compare or put KT in the same camp as Jones, Melua & Co, even Bjork (don't follow that one). Yes, she has blues, jazz, folk, rock influences in her music but it is a truly unique sound. KT will go far.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2005
You hear this song on the radio, "Other Side Of The World" that is, you can't miss it, it's been on the A-playlist of both Radios 1 and 2 (and the commercial ones), who is it? Synth-laden backing, and that upslide (almost a yodel) in the voice, it's like Dido but it's not her, who on earth is it?
Well, actually, I bought this album before this track was aired as the second single, but I know that this is a typical reaction, because someone asked me about it.
K T Tunstall, singer/songwriter (plays guitar and keyboards as well), hails from St Andrews, not that there's any trace of rounded Fife accent in her tomboyish, folksy/bluesy vocals. Her lyrics are baffling (well, I'm a mere man, after all). They're personal, of love rejected or unrequited, they're full of colourful imagery, but abstract, enigmatic, almost inscrutable (well, she does admit to having Chinese blood in her).
Her music sounds very familiar, derivative, you've heard similar before. The first two tracks sound to me very much like her Celtic contemporary from across the Irish Sea, Juliet Turner (from her "Black Suit" album) - it's the atmospheric synths and minor keys that do it. The two girlie ballads "Under The Weather" and "Silent Sea" would sit well on Bic Runga's album (she has Chinese ancestry too). And "Universe & U" and "False Alarm", so similar in pace and tone they should have been segued together, are uncannily Lennon-esque.
There's certainly a bagful of tunes here, and the record company will be able to perm one of five or six for the next single.
If I have a criticism it would be that the songs are a little one paced and downbeat - only the rockabilly blues of "Black Horse and The Cherry Tree" and the Wang Chung-chugging "Suddenly I See" lift the mood. Final track "Through The Dark" is a wonderfully languorous slow waltz, though, an apt closing number, to the album, to any evening in fact.
This is a very fine album, I'm torn between four and five stars, and have changed my mind several times. It doesn't quite blow my socks off, but it may well do yours.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2005
This Scottish-raised singer/songwriter of Chinese ancestry debuts with a delightful album as mixed as her background. One of the most popular tracks is the fun-country live rendition of the foot-stompin' "Black Horse & the Cherry Tree", but my personal favorite is the first single "Other Side of the World". These two songs alone make the album worth buying, the only problem being that it's too darn short.
The album begins on a high note with the aforementioned "Other Side of the World", an excellent, thoroughly enjoyable, first rate song with great lyrics:
"The fire fades away
Most of every day
Is full of tired excuses
But it's too hard to say
I wish it were simple
But we give up easily
You're close enough to see that
You're the other side of the world"
Most of the other songs come close to the brilliance of the two I've already mentioned, and every song is worth listening to, with traces of Sheryl Crow and Dido popping up from time to time. Other good tracks are "Another Place to Fall" with its Coldplay type musical hooks and swelling chorus; the folksy "Under the Weather"; the Simon & Garfunkel-like guitar strumming "Suddenly I See"; the retro `80s rock ballad "False Alarm"; and the heart pounding "Stoppin' the Love".
Definitely a contender for best new artist of 2005.
Amanda Richards