on 25 August 2007
Got this and couldn't wait to see how the room would look once the sun came up. There are 2 suction cups allowing you to stick it to a window with the solar panel facing outwards. The mechanical bits in the unit rotate once the sun hits the panel and the crystals start to twirl around slowly. Even then, we could hardly see any rainbow colours across the room, why? because it doesnt work in the parts of the room where the sun is shining. It only works in the shadows so you need to find a good place to put this up. Even then, about 1 hour later the sun moves. Two days later, the suction cups gave way and the whole thing fell on the floor and broke. Lasted about 2 days so for the money, not worth it. My bling works better!
on 4 February 2010
I bought this rainbow maker for my Mum & she loves it. It only works when the sun shines on the small solar panel (which does NOT store energy for use when the sun goes in,) so be sure to position it on a window that receives lots of sunlight. It sends rainbow circles moving all round the room which are very pretty. All visitors to her house have admired the lovely effect it creates. My friend has several positioned round her house as her handicapped daughter loves to sit & watch the rainbows. I recommend getting this double version as you get twice the amount of rainbows from the real crystals that slowly rotate to create the rainbows. A faint wirring noise can be heard when it is working which you hardly notice. I recommend this Rainbow maker as it is a good price compared to others & is well made & very effective.
on 25 February 2016
I've bought a few of the single rainbow makers for friends and family over the years and finally gave in to buying my own one. Every time the sun hits on it at noon onwards I am really happy about being in my office and working away. It's bright, beautiful and makes everything much better!
on 9 May 2009
I bought this because one of my children wanted it for Christmas. As soon as it was out of the box its flimsiness was obvious. The solar panel had to be taped back into position (no, I hadn't let him play with it). One of the crystals fell off. When the sunshine got strong enough to power it, the cogs had some kind of obstruction to their rotation so that most of the time it can't move. Just occasionally it does turn, but it's never long before it sticks again. It's a shame, because the rainbows are very pretty, and the item was not cheap.
on 21 February 2010
I bought two. One for my Mum and one for my daughter. My Mum's one worked, my daughter's didn't. I know for a fact that it doesn't as my Mum died this January and now I have both on the same window of our first floor flat with nothing overlooking our window. Mum's still rotates but my daughter's one doesn't. You can not sell items with, in my experience, a fifty percent working ratio. Very disappointing.
on 26 April 2014
This is beautiful. I've had a single one for years and when it gave up the ghost recently decided to go for the double version and I am so glad I did. Now on sunny days my dining room is filled with dozens of spinning rainbows that my little granddaughter calls "Nana's angels". I have given several as gifts and after initial reactions of " why would I want this?" they are then much loved and appreciated
on 8 October 2013
Makes me smile every time it is sunny.

Only works if there is direct sunlight on it.
Make sure to stick on the suction cup as hard as you can. It is very strong, but can be worth to check once in a while, to keep it from dropping.

The rainbows produced are plentiful and have very vibrant colours. They are larger the further into the room you get.
Absolutely worth the money- an investment in dialy happiness.
on 21 November 2011
In theory, this Rainbow Maker sounds great.....if it works!
After reading previous reviews we still went ahead and got one.
We put it in the strong sunshine and just the first 2 cogs jiggled and that was it. We put under a halogen lamp and no improvement.
Kikkerland (the manufacturer) answered our e-mail but seemed dismissive and offered very little further assistance (although there was a language barrier).
We are sending this back within Amazon's 28 day return.
on 14 April 2013
KIKKERLAND, SANDRA WAS WHO DEALED WITH THE ORDER WAS 100% ON THE BALL WHEN IT CAME TO THE CUSTOMER SERVICES, THE PRODUCT RAINBOW MAKER,I AM VERY HAPPY WITH AND REALLY AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING IT TURN AND SPARKLE IN THE SUMMER MORNING SUN..........EXCELLENT COMPANY, EXCELLENT PRODUCT ! THANK YOU
on 31 October 2013
Have had one before which is still working even though it was bought years ago. These are absolutely brilliant. This was bought as a house warming treat and fills my son's kitchen with brilliant rainbows.You must have a south facing window which gets a lot of sun. We have never had any problem with them, they even turn with weak sunlight in winter.

See one answered question