on 25 May 2016
This was my daughters' favourite show when they were small, I ordered it for my grandson. It was fun to watch it again, and he did enjoy it. However, I have to agree with the previous reviewers, it has lost something by not having the intro song, and would have received five stars if it had. I ordered it, knowing there was no song, but didn't realise how much of a difference it made!
3 people found this helpful
on 24 August 2017
I'd forgotten just how much fun Trapdoor was. It could be doing with some remastering on the original tapes, as the picture quality isn't up to today's demanding standards, but that's easy to forget as you enjoy the DVD. My daughter and grandson love it too!
on 8 August 2010
This is great viewing for kids of all ages,and adults who haven't grown up.(Who,me?). I first came across this gem many years ago when some bikers in the flat next to mine at the time (you know who you are !)used to watch the VHS version very frequently.After many times hearing the immortal "Berk,where's my dinner?" I decided to check this out.I borrowed the tape and have been a fan ever since. My favourite character is Drutt,the little green thingy who eats worms and often gets squished flat in several episodes but always gets up again. The time and attention that went into making this show,animating the characters and the background action,must have been formidable. You just don't get this kind of thing today. It's a work of art. Some reviews have pointed out the missing intros between the episodes,but I don't think this is too bad as it could get annoying if you watched many episodes in one sitting. It would have been nice to have an on/off function though to keep everyone happy. Altogether a great buy.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 October 2014
Really great to watch this series again after quite a few years. The late Willie Rushton at his best with all the voices, and great quality graphics. The troops all love it and it still seems to suit all ages. If you haven't seen it before, the plot surrounds Burke, the overworked servant to the master upstairs. Meals consist largely of worms, grubs, and other small things with lots of legs. In the middle of the floor is a trapdoor, under which lurk enormous 'orrible creatures, bent on escape and mayhem of one sort or another. Great fun, and well worth buying, for a good laugh in the dark days of winter, curled up on the sofa, clutching your cocoa.
on 13 March 2015
A proper reminder of TV from a bygone age - oh to mourn the passing of the 1980's! Great clay animation, well narrated and funny and quirky all at once. Bought for a child of today by a child of yesterday - we both have sat for hours and enjoyed the DVD.

My advice would be the opposite of "Stay away from that Trap Door". My advice would be - get it ordered and enjoy. Currently £4 for all 40 episodes with a run time of 200 minutes. Do the maths! However you cut it, that is cracking value and great entertainment.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 January 2009
I just happened to be browsing for something for my godson when I stumbled accross this littel gem. Instantly bringing back fond memories from childhood I decided to take a punt and see if it's as good as rose tinted memories suggest. The answer? Yes! Even better, as an adult I now understand a lot of the humour, double ententres and innuendo that went right over my head as a 5 yr old. At last I know what it was my Dad was laughing at!

A really enjoyable trip down memory lane, which can be enjoyed by young and old alike. I have to dock it one star though, for not having that anthemic theme at the start of each episode!
3 people found this helpful
on 7 February 2011
My four year old daughter is INSANELY in love with this show, which I introduced to her with no fanfare. She watches the full disc pretty much every day. The 2 year old is forced to watch as well, and quite likes it.

I agree with previous comments: it is very kind of them to include every episode (note to Bertha DVD, wow, thanks for the 4 episodes, you're really spoiling us) but you hardly ever hear the music. It's great when it comes in, and no doubt, with such a short show, it would be driving us all mad if it came every 2 minutes. But a tiny bit more theme tune would make this perfect.
on 8 March 2016
At the age of 35 I have started to have a nostalgia for the cartoons I loved as I child, and this was definitely one of my favourites! I didn't know until purchasing this that all of the voices were done by the same man; amazing. I often put this on and have a little chuckle at it, whilst marveling at how trippy it is (didn't pick up on THAT when I was a kid, haha!). Young 'uns today don't know what they're missing! :)
on 20 February 2011
This is an excellent, very funny children's series from the 1980's. The voice-work was done by the legendary Willie Rushton. The central character was this blue blobby fellow called Berk, the "overworked servant of the Thing upstairs" (whom we hear but never see). Berk works away in the lower levels of this ancient castle set in the "dark and nasty regions where nobody goes". Monsters regularly emerge from trap door to make life difficult from for Berk, but he usually gets the better of them in the end.

The emphasis is always on the comedy even though it draws inspiration from the horror genre but not to worry, it's all harmless, gooey, slimy, squidgy, chaotic fun, with the occasional "boo" factor.

Apart from the "eyes in the dark" it's all done by traditional stop-motion animation of clay figures. The introduction and theme tune are provided as a separate feature from the episodes, because the episodes are quite short and I suppose it might otherwise become repetitive. It was very popular at the time with kids of all ages and spawned the inevitable merchandise: fluffy toys, a board game and even a computer game for the home-computers of the time, such as the ZX Spectrum and the Commodore 64.

A timeless cult classic.
on 1 September 2009
I was thinking about this only last week, so i decided to buy, after reading the reviews. For the price i paid its Good, it has the whole Trap door 'dynasty' on there which is good. Only Qualm, maybe they could have kept the Tune on there.

I knwo the episodes aren't long, and if you watched them one after the other then the theme tune would become tiresome. But maybe have an otion on the menu to select with or without titles.

Best item hasd to be the episode entitled : - 'Don't you open that trap door'. which is basically a music video of the theme song in long version format!

Brillaint worth the buy. nice to chill out to at the end of a hectic day at the factory!