Customer reviews

HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 June 2010
Having bought this on a recommendation, I knew nothing of the band `Juicy Lucy' before hearing this. I am now determined to get their back catalogue.

Recorded in the late `60s/ early `70s, this best of album is stuffed with top notch blues/rock. Think Dr. Feelgood, but with Alexis Korner as the vocalist and you'll get an idea of the normal sound. Their influences are easy to hear, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Howlin' Wolf. The sound is a down and dirty blues, sometimes with a slight New Orleans tinge. With covers of Bo Diddley's `Who Do You Love', and Chuck Berry's `Nadine', and a host of raucous originals; this is a record jam packed with great riffs, howling vocals, heavy drums and rocking bass. I loved it.
on 7 April 2011
I had forgotten how good and how influencial this band was. All band members were skilled and enthsiastic. I saw them only once in a small blues club in St. Helens. I don't feel that any of these tracks have dated. If you want to start listening to Juicy Lucy this is a great plave to start. I never liked Paul williams' singing with Colleseum II but here he is in fine voice
on 27 October 2011
I bought this really on the strength of the single "who do you love", not really knowing anything of their music at the time. It was a real gamble, that paid off! This is a real gem. They sound like a Southern Roadhouse Boogie band, which isn't that surprising as the pedal steel guitarist is american. So if you like stuff like George Thorogood and the Destroyers, The Mighty Thunderbirds or Lynyrd Skynyrd, give this a go, you won't be disappointed.
on 3 January 2017
Don't be deceived by the cover, it's good, but it's a "best of."
on 29 March 2013
Bought just for the amazing title track, took me back to the 70's!
The rest of the album is so-so.
on 22 December 2014
Excellent! I wish I had remembered about this band years ago.
on 25 August 2008
A variety of line up changes in this 'classic period' of Juicy Lucy doesn't lower the quality of this sleazy blues rock. Ray Owens vocals possibly stand out a bit better on the famours 'Fruit' debut album by the band but the the quality here is good throughout. It has the great Bo Diddley cover 'Who do you love' ( which was a chart hit too) and a good chunk off the debut album. Juicy Lucy are sadly quite a forgotten band of the early 70s but this compiliation is worth getting to redress that, A bargain.
on 20 January 2011
I was slightly disappointed not to be able to lay my hands on a realistically priced copy of their first "self titled" album so opted for this instead.

Actually it's not bad. All the tracks that I particularly wanted are here and then there are a good few others on top.

If you're looking to recreate your old vinyl album on CD then this doesn't really tick the box but if you're simply after having some of their music in your CD collection then my rating of 4 stars is well deserved.

' ' '
on 18 January 2013
I have all of the Jiucy Lucy albums on vinyl, however, it is a long time since I listened to any vinyl.A glance through the tracks on this compilation showed that it contains all the tracks I remembered.

On listening I was amazed at how good these guys were, and how well they have stood the test of time.my Wife had never heard of Juicy Lucy and thought that they sounded like they came from the South ( U S ) until I put her right.

As they say, do yourself a favour and give these guys a listen.
on 1 July 2012
Fantastic album. Newer line up still touring the circuit. Just been to see them in Master Mariner in Brighton Marina. Fletch on drums did 15 min solo during which he drank a pint and didn't lose rhythm. The album has Alexis Korner who is amazing, but present lead Mr Fish is also amazing, as is James on bass. Live they are even better than the album. Who do you love and Freedom are still brilliant and listening to this album brings back lots of memories. BUY IT!!