on 13 December 2005
A perfect starter disc for the beginning ballroomer. The tempo of each track are noted on the sleeve, so one can easily quantify one's pace. A simple and effective aid to understanding the basic dynamics of formalized Eurpoean and LAm dancing.
on 7 August 2006
Overall, a very good selection of music with good rhythm which is easily discernible. The music is suitable for all dancers regardless of their experience. The waltzes are particularly good with a clear rhythm. The quicksteps are perhaps the least enjoyable but are still acceptable for dancing purposes.
on 29 April 2010
Now we have started dancing lessons, we needed to practice, but couldn't find a suitable cd. Looked on Amazon,read the reviews and decided on Strictly Ballroom.It's exactly right, no singing just the music with a good mix of ballroom and latin. In fact I like it enough to listen when not dancing!!
on 23 February 2010
Bought this to practice, for which it's ideal, as it has all the dances we're learning, which are all detailed on the track list. It's good value and arrived promptly.
on 31 May 2007
As for the "50 Ballroom Favourites" CD ..............

At first listening I was impressed by the quality of reproduction, correct tempi, lack of vocals and rhythms being grouped. However, as a '10 dance dancer' I found that the music did not get my foot tapping and make me want to dance. In fact the slower tempi are quite sleep-inducing. On listening closer, the reason for this is that there is heavy use of strings and lack of brass instruments in most of the tracks. The ones with brass are a bit livelier. There is also a lack of "attack" to the music as if the players are drowsing off - mostly noticeable in the Latin American rhythms which need to be more staccato.

I am sure many people will disagree with me - and I am still happy to listen to this in the car.
on 16 January 2010
My husband and I have just started having private dance lessons and our tutor says this is a very good CD as it has the timings against each tune and these are not too fast. There is a variety of dances and we put the CD into our computer where we can pick the tune we want easily. Very cheap compared with some other ones.
on 23 May 2009
All the main ballroom dances are featured and the beat is easy to detect for all dancers. Excellent CD.
on 12 November 2014
This CD is just what a beginner needs - in conjunction with some classes, of course. A small number of instrumental tracks are provided for each of the main ballroom dance styles - waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, tango etc. and the sleeve notes include tempo markings. This has been EASILY the best used CD in our house ever since it arrived - and if we wore it out we've back to Zoverstocks for another copy!
on 25 January 2014
I have purchased at least ten ballroom dancing discs but if I had known about this disc I wouldn't have had to buy any of the others.
It is truly the ideal dance disc covering both ballroom and latin dancing. The 26 tracks are strictly instrumental (no singing) performed by the Columbia Ballroom Orchestra including music for the Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quickstep, Viennese Waltz, Cha Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Jive and Paso Doble.
The rythum played for each track is exactly in accordance with that stated in the standard texts.
Well worth the what it costs.
on 19 February 2010
Great for beginners needing to find music tagged with dance styles to make life easier while learning to dance.