on 17 February 2005
Considering that Matt is largely forgotten these days, and is not around to remind people of his brilliance, quite a lot of his music is available on CD (at least in the UK) including a bewildering array of compilations as well as several twofers containing re-issues of original albums. This one contains all the essential tracks.

Matt was Britain's best balladeer of the sixties. He had five UK top ten hits, these being Portrait of my love, My kind of girl, Softly as I leave you, Walk away and Yesterday. The Beatles' own version of Yesterday was not released as a UK single at the time although it was released in the USA (where it topped the charts) and eventually got a UK release in the mid-seventies. So Matt's version competed with several others but the only other one to chart was by Marianne Faithfull. Matt recorded several other Beatles songs, of which Michelle is included in this set.
Although it was only a comparatively modest hit (just making the UK top twenty), Matt's most famous recording is probably From Russia with love, a James Bond theme song. He recorded plenty of stage and screen songs during his career and on this collection you will find Matt's versions of Born free (from Born free) and Gonna build a mountain (from Stop the world and let me off), the last-named providing another minor UK hit for Matt.
Matt was an excellent interpreter of other people's songs and this collection includes his covers of several classic songs including I can't stop loving you, If I were a carpenter, Bridge over troubled water, All my loving, For once in my life and My way.
Several minor hits are missing so this is not a definitive collection but it contains all his big hits and everything else that casual buyers need.
If you enjoy the music of Nat King Cole, Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, it is likely that you will also enjoy listening to Matt Monro. This CD provides a good sampling of his music although I think that the budget collection (Very best of) provides better value for money. Do not be surprised if, once you've played it a few times, you end up buying more of his music.
17 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2013
My main passion for music is for Rock n Roll and Rockabilly, but I enjoy chilling out with a bit of easy listening and have enjoyed the ramblings of the Rat Pack, Martin, Crosby & Sinatra since I was a kid, but Matt had something special with his silky smooth vocals which you just can't resist listening too which in my oppinion put him a cut above the rest.

I have several of Matt's vinyl album's but my turntable is struggling so it was time to purchase a CD. I'm glad I came across this one as it contains a good collection of his best tracks from various albums.

I must admit I miss the crackle of needle and vinyl, so a new turntable is going on my wishlist on amazon (great for when family ask what you want for Christmas and birthdays).
on 26 March 2018
Missed a lot. Go for the 3 disc version but that also misses a few brilliant tracks he did but will be better.
on 14 December 2017
Soothing voice and some old favourites on here,

Britains answer to Sinatra I guess, - I like it
on 6 December 2017
Excellent choice - fab pressie - delivered promptly - highly recommend
on 19 July 2017
What a fine voice Matt Monro has ......really great
on 28 June 2017
Thankyou my dad love's the cd.
on 23 February 2017
Great Album received on tome
on 12 November 2013
I have always liked Matt Monro, He was a really good singer and I loved his songs
I have played this several times and all the songs I love are on it.
An excellent buy.