Customer reviews

on 25 May 2013
Great filter, a must for any photographer. Great for sky and sea in sunny conditions. Took this to Turkey and used it a lot with great results.
on 7 September 2010
This filter is a must have for any photographers. Circular polariser filter helps to bring more saturation to the picture and also reduces unwanted reflections. Cokin P series filter is better than the screw-in filter as you can use the same filter with lenses that have different diameters.

This filter is for Cokin P-series. So for the newbies, you need to have an filter adapter for your lens, and a filter hood to hold this filter in-front of your lens.
on 26 June 2012
Polarizer used with Cokin P series wide angle holder on Tokina 11-16mm. Produces heavy vignetting at 11mm, up to 14mm. No vignetting at 15mm and 16mm. Shame really.
Polarizing effect is what was expected, works very well, from what I am used to, which is only a jessops brand circ polarizer, certainly no B+W or Lee fiter. Saturates the skies very well, brings out the white clouds. Eliminates some reflections, and cuts other polarized light such as that from pc lcd screen.
44 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2014
Recently I have gone over to use the Cokin P system as I now am building up a collections of lenses, all with different diameters. Works perfectly with the square glass, so I decided to buy this Circular Polarizer . It arrived next day and I eagerly wanted to try it.

How does it fit ? It wasn't intuitively obvious to me, it just seemed to want to drop out ! I phoned Amazon who advised me to phone Cokin. ( Who don't work weekends or lunch times !) Eventually I have made contact ( they didn't answer the messages I left on their system ). The instructions worked, the filter is fitted, the knurled edge is wearing my fingers away, but it all seems OK.

Oh no another problem, how do I remove the filter from the holder ?
on 12 May 2016
Having paid £50 i expected it to come with some form of protective 'case'. Guess i'll have to spend a bit more... irritating
If landscape photography is your `thing' and you only ever buy one filter, get a polariser. Don't be confused with the product headline; the `square filter' part refers to the holder this fits into. This is the P164, the letter denotes the size of the filter holder, though there is a cheaper 160, which is linear and best avoided, as it will confuse your camera's metering. The circular filter certainly brings out the blue in the sky and reduces surface glare to emphasise reflections - eliminating them in instances. Yes, it does what it's supposed to do and my only complaint, if that's what it can be called, is that the ring itself is `notched' all the way round causing abrasions on your fingers when it's turned. There must be a reason for this design, but I can't think of one. (Better grip, perhaps?) It comes with a plastic holder.

I can't compare the Cokin 164 with any other polariser, as I've not used them. If you have a selection of lenses, it starts to become costly having to buy separate filters, which is where the Cokin system comes in handy. It may look expensive at first, but you only need one. Remember, there is a two-stop filter factor so it will affect shutter speeds and apertures.
on 9 July 2014
The polarizing filter work very well the only criticism is on wide angle lenses due to the holder the edges of the filter come into view in the corner of the pictures. For wide angle lenses you would be better off with a screw on filter dedicated to that lense.
on 23 January 2015
As of yet I have not used this filter (Cokin Circular 164 Polarizer), I have only given a 2 Star rating because the plastic storage box is not labeled with the filter type, and is so tight that I had/have to use a screw driver to get the filter out of its case. The shape of the internal storage compartment ( tapered from both sides ) also the filter label States made in Japan and the case/filter is made in France?. Until I have used the filter I cannot comment on its performance. Is this a genuin or a copy?
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2016
Thee most outstanding filter on the market if you're on a budget and want a "one lense fits all" for landscape work.
on 4 November 2012
I have used this in the Alps last week in the first snow and ice of the season. Whilst I got some very good results, it was awkward to turn when the other filters were in place, so I can't give it five stars.