Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 April 2006
The odd thing about The Residents is that they are constantly challenging you to confront musical prejudices you don't know you have. At the beginning of this double CD it has all the hallmarks of a reasonably soothing middle of the road easy listening type of thing. But the strangeness of The Residents soon emarges as you listen. The strange harmonies, the odd notes seem wrong and yet strangly right. The singer's Louisiana drawl. Guest artists include some excellent vocals of the type you would normally expect to find on American compilation albums featuring carols and suchlike.

My first reaction was to scratch my head and exclaim "Hmmm!" and the end of disc one (Burn My Bones) which didn't so much end as fizzle out. Begging me to play the second CD which is not listed in the sleeve notes. But putting the disc in my computer it came up on I-Tunes with the follwing tracklisting.

1. The Window (Opening)

2. Anger/Hunger

3. Too Lips

4. Yes/No

5. Animal Lover

6. The Window (Closing)

These tracks should really be regarded as one long instrumental with occasional vocals here and there. CD2 contains lots of gradual changes in musical direction which I can't even begin to describe.

There are regular Podcasts featuring The Residents via the I-Tunes search engine. Subscribe to BOGcasts. That's the best way to find out whether you're going to like the band or not.
on 22 December 2010
This is fast becoming my favourite Residents album. There is a great deal of depth to the album and consequently it has a curious haunting quality to it. I think I'm right in saying that they were working on this at the lead up to 9/11 and decided to shift focus to record Demons Dance Alone, continuing with Animal Lover some time later. Both albums are gems, but Animal Lover is perhaps musically the stronger. Molly Harvey contributes her superb vocal characterisations as well which only adds to the album. Don't hesitate, you will love it!