• X&Y
  • Customer reviews

on 26 July 2013
This is Coldplay's third studio album released in June 2005. You might notice that the cover image looks quite odd. Well these colours and blocks are a graphical representation of the Baudot code, an early form of telegraph communication using a series of ones and zeros to communicate. The album is split up into 6 tracks for X and 6 tracks for Y, possibly separating the tracks because of a varied style and there's a bonus track. I am a very casual fan of the band's music and after a while of deliberating decided to purchase this album 3 years ago. My favourite Coldplay song is Fix you and that was my main reason for buying this album. I wasn't sure how the rest of the album would sound but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the album.

The album begins with Square one and is followed by What if; the first is a mid-tempo track with a decent chorus and the second is a very piano driven track with a slower overall sound. White shadows picks up the pace with a steady beat and is much more catchy sounding. Fix you is my favourite and surely the strongest on this record too. An incredible piece of emotional piano pop music and I love the message with the singer reaching out to someone he loves saying that he'll fix them. It's a powerful ballad. Talk is a good pop track with a very cool guitar riff that is a mirror of the chorus melody. It's less reliant on piano and much more guitar powered. I like how the guitar works with Martin's vocals at the chorus, I think it's smart. The title track X + Y has more of a similar sound to the 1st two tracks and is more experimental with Martin doing plenty of falsetto vocals. Speed of sound is another single with a good beat and impressive high pitched vocals throughout with a pretty catchy chorus. A message and low are 2 of the less exciting tracks with the former being an epic track with acoustic guitar and the better of the 2 and low is a bit slow and trudging throughout but has a pretty good bridge/chorus which saves it. The hardest part was another single and it's 1 of the best here. Swallowed in the sea starts off quite slowly but builds to a great rhythm and is 1 of the better tracks and a pretty thoughtful song. Twisted logic sounds a bit different to the rest with its droning bass sound but at the same time still fits in well and ends the main album nicely.
The bonus track which is not shown on the back cover but appears on the CD as a + on the track listing is called 'Til kingdom come and featured in the 2012 movie The amazing Spider-Man. The song was originally planned for Johnny Cash to do a duet with Martin but Cash died before he was able to do so. The song is quite simple in sound but is very emotional and has a deep message for a loved one. It's a powerful, moving acoustic song quite diverse from the rest of the album and it's definitely one of the best.

If you are a more casual fan like me and you've heard the singles but aren't sure whether to buy the album then I would certainly recommend you do. Even if you're a more long term fan I don't see how this album could disappoint although I am biased because I haven't got any of their other albums but I do plan on purchasing more after how impressive this was.
on 12 September 2014
Got to admit the only thing that drove me to buy this was the track "Princess Of China" because I like good girl gone bad Rihanna
I also like anything vaguely associated with China or Japan.
I am sure when I get around to it the rest of the album I like Chris Martin's vocal style he's very laid back hate all the labels that describe he's music as alternative rock / post brit pop!
what trash these muso writers come up with, I detest any form of label on a good day but things like that just want to make me spit.
on 18 February 2018
Good Price, Came Wrapped, Works Well, And Quick Delivery Also :-)
on 3 March 2014
I had this perviously in my collection and then foolishly let it go.It's about the "mid point" in coldplays development into one of the top bands of today.It's nice to have it back,like the return of an old friend.The only issue I had was that when the product arrived and I opened up the cd case it feel apart.So something to watch there
on 6 May 2015
Didn't realise it was a first press and for £15! Took an eternity to arrive since I ordered but well worth it!
review image
3 people found this helpful
on 10 July 2017
Great album, jittery CD. I suggest downloading the album to avoid this problem.
on 9 August 2017
Yet again Coldplay produce a classic album
on 28 February 2018
Great buy
on 31 January 2012
I've listened to all of Coldplay's albums, and this is my favourite by a distance. There are no weak tracks, and the music just glides along, with soaring melodies and driving rhythms. It takes a few listens to get into, but it's one of those albums that you actually put on the CD and play, rather than just owning but not listening to. A great album.
One person found this helpful
on 19 April 2018
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse