Customer reviews

on 12 February 2012
Swan Lake, recorded at the Bolshoi theatre 1989, with Alla Mikhalchenko

I was too hasty in my first comments on Swan Lake. Oh yes, it was a new DVD, not used, and the customer reviews on Amazon were so commendatory that I was sure this was going to be great. But, alas, when I had sat down to enjoy the ballet I was very disappointed.

The music, the colours and the photo were all rather harsh, like in an old Technicolor movie, and the stage background was dark, heavy, and too ponderous.
The close-ups on the Swan Princess showed her sweaty face and heavy makeup, and I could count most of her ribs. The close-ups on the prince were equally unflattering. His most prominent features were his buttocks and privates, too conspicuous in his white tights ...
I want my Swan Princess and the Prince to be beautiful! If they are not, the performance can't cover up for this disadvantage.

I am now searching the web for a better and more beautiful version of the Swan Lake ballet.
on 18 March 2011
an opportunity to see the Bolshoi ballet at the Bolshoi theatre.
the production and recording are excellent and this version is
a good choice.
on 2 March 2011
I first found this Ballet on you tube in 16 parts and was so disappointed that at part 7 the production changed to a different company. This inspired me to seek it out and buy it. Now I'm not an expert but I could sense something authentic in this Bolshoi production from the late 80s. A golden era in Russian athletics and gymnastics and the powerful audacious athleticism of the dancers in this production reminded me of those Olympians of a bygone era. That aside this is a ballet and the performances are outstanding particularly Alla Mikhalchenko. wow!!! forget about Black Swan the movie this lady is sheer class and so impressive when she in turn becomes the Black Swan. Her combination of fragility and immense strength had me on the edge of my sheet honestly you have to see her perform its like watching A computer generated image she is just a paragon of balance brilliance class and majesty. She puts present day Primma Donna sportsmen and footballers to shame. Forget about the champions league this is the beautiful game with flair grace and true grit!!!I am amazed!!!!These artists must train every hour of the day. Oh and the production I almost forgot the curtain alone is about 100 ft in height, the costumes are Oscar worthy almost Shakespearean during the ball scenes. There is also tongue in cheek dance offs through out the Ball scenes that gives you the impression the gifted dancers are taking each other on and raising the bar as the performance evolves..Just get the dvd and watch it on a Sunday evening when everyone is out and you will be elevated to a new cultural awareness..Listen to the mesmerized audience roar Bravo Bravo Bravo I wish I had been there
on 1 January 2012
i bought this dvd as an xmas present for my wife.she has an old video of it that is "past it's sell by date" so, naturally,she loves it as any ballet fan would! it is SO well done !!
on 11 March 2016
very happy with purchase, packaging, delivery, it's all good!
on 28 February 2015
Good replacement or video version
Timeless classic