on 27 February 2005
Having listened to this album for the first time a couple of days ago I have to admit I was less than impressed with Feeder's latest offering. I felt it lacked all those things that made up the distinct sound of previous Feeder albums.
It lacks the festival type sound of Polythene and Yesterday Went Too Soon. It also lacks the lively sound of Echo Park. It is probably closest in sound to Comfort In Sound. For me the earlier albums were the best and I was disappointed that this bears no relation to them in terms of sound and direction. I felt this was too polished to be a 'proper Feeder album'.
However, this album is grower. After having moaned about it, I found myself humming the chorus to Tender at work yesterday and have been singing bits of it all day today. It has a more gentle sound than previous albums but this is not a bad thing.
For me 'Tender' and 'Bitter Glass' are the best tracks on the album, with 'Frequency' coming close behind. The title track is probably the closest to the older Feeder style and is one of the few upbeat tracks on the album.
This is a fabulous album that marks a change in the sound of Feeder. It's as if the band have grown into a gentle, melancholy sound that on occassion hints at the past sound but is firmly focused on this new sound. A great addtion to any collection!
on 15 November 2016
Anthemic melancholic rock interspersed with slower songs - all consistently top notch. Feeder are a great band - it's only taken me 20 years to discover them. Their new album looks fab too - great video for the stonking opener, "Eskimo".
on 7 February 2005
Anxiously anticipated and not disappointing. This is a superb album and am currently playing it on repeat. Tumble and Fall was a strange choice as a single as there are plenty of songs on this album that would have more representative of the album overall and that were stronger songs to showcase the album. Still, I love it. Highlights - so many! Feeling a Moment is quite uplifting; Bitter Glass, poignant and beautiful; Morning Life, upbeat with an infectious melody. I could go on and on. There is nothing to criticise yet. It's rare that you can buy an album these days and like more than half of the tracks - not so here. You'll love it, I promise!!! Thank you, Feeder!
on 11 November 2005
I bought the Japanese edition of this album because I fell in love with the track "Shatter" - although this is supposedly not the same as the recent single, I can't tell the difference between the two versions and I own both. This track does not appear on the standard edition. This is not my usual style of music, being more of a Big Beat, Trip Hop sort of girl, but I have been wooed by the intelligent arrangements and the sheer repeatability of this album. While I find Coldplay and the Stereophonics whining and trite, Feeder have here produced an album that draws the listener in with engaging lyrics and evocative soundscapes. 'Bitter Glass' shows they can do Coldplay better than Coldplay while 'Shatter', the track that got me to buy the album in the first place, shows they can also do the Foo Fighters end of the spectrum - I prefer this track even to the FF's track "Times Like These", which had been on my list of Desert Island Discs.
Great stuff.
on 12 August 2017
The finest.
on 2 August 2017
awesome
on 1 January 2014
Had to buy this as am a huge Feeder fan, great music again from the group, hope to collect more of their music, especially some of their early stuff as only been into them for a little while but love the Rock
on 24 September 2016
Great album. Speedy delivery!
on 21 February 2005
It was always going to be difficult for Feeder to repeat the brilliance of Comfort In Sound, and while Pushing The Senses doesn't quite match their pevious album, there is plenty here to appeal to music fans.
Feeling A Moment is a fantastic, uplifting opening track, followed by Bitter Glass, which is another good song. Pushing The Senses, quite an unbeat tune, and Morning Life, more considered, are very good too, while Pilgrim Soul hints at Feeder's earlier sound. New and old fans alike will be interested to hear Frequency and Dove Grey Sands, which are a break from the usual Feeder sound, but grow on you.
After the praise heaped upon them after their last album, this new one was always going to receive mixed reviews, we live in Britain after all. Whereas Comfort In Sound was more of a complete package, this album is a bit of a mixed bag of tricks, but is still worth owning.
on 10 April 2006
I'm in love with this album and I'm not even a 'Feeder' fan. At least I wasn't before I borrowed this album from a friend. Funnily enough it was actually 'Shattered' (the incredible song from the soundtrack of the film 'Night Watch', which is strangely absent here) that made me want to listen to it in the first place. Lucky for me though I've been able to import the album onto my ipod and simply add 'Shattered' onto the end, which I purchased separately. 'Night Watch' wasn't a complete success by any stretch of the imagination (my friend fell asleep half way through incidentally) but the moment that song came over the credits I just knew it would be one of my favourite films of the year- never has a song so perfectly complemented a film in my opinion- the raw, frantic energy of that combination of sound and vision was literally palpalable in the air around me!
'Feeling a Moment', 'Tumble and Fall' and the title track 'Pushing the Senses' are likely to be the songs that most people will recognise when they come to listen to the record for the first time, all of which are great by the way, but my personal favourite songs effortlessly out-shone those in my view. 'Bitter Glass', 'Tender', 'Pain on Pain' and 'Dove Grey Sands' may be softer and slower than the single releases of the album, but whenever I hear them I'm transported to another place, especially on a sunny day when I find them completely hypnotic. But the good news doesn't end there- this album fuses together so well that the lack of any massive, stand-out tracks won't be too big a disappointment (at least it wasn't for me), so despite the absence of a 'Buck Rogers' type-song this record more than compensates with beautiful melodies, the pure and yet slightly gravely voice of the lead singer and a wonderful selection of feel-good tunes.