on 10 May 2011
To me the SR80's are light years ahead of the Bose I tried but if only the build quality was as good. There are two, linked design faults: to get to the earpieces, the cable is split with a Y-piece - fine except the individual earpieces are designed to rotate on their supports - but when doing so, twist the cable so it eventually breaks at the Y. I've had two pairs go the same way after about a year of use and you can forget about service in the UK - in my experience it's non-existent. I was told they'd "never seen that before" with a strong implication that I mishandle them. For the record, I treat them with great care but it will happen however they are handled. The moulded Y piece is a disaster.
on 30 January 2008
Having recently purchased these headphones I was very sceptical about all the good reviews due to the unavailability to actually try them as no retail stores or good hifi shops seem to sell them. I decided to bite the bullet and puchased a pair, all I can say is WOW.

They have exceptionally good clarity good soundstage and very detailed sound.Some reviews found them to be uncomfortable, this was true at first but as with every thing new once they are worn them in I don't even notice them.

I use them from iTunes and find the EQ settings are responsive to get the sound just right.
When listening from a 5th Gen Ipod they sound great.
Plugging them in my amp hooked up to a nad cd player send them to a whole different level.
I find the Bass to be very good and controlled (no thuddy muddy sound)

The best way to describe the sound difference from standard Headphones is like going from VHS tape to Blue-Ray discs, The amount of detail you get at first is overpowering but after a reasonable burn in time (20 hrs in my case) not only do you become accustomed to the new sound but you end up Wanting to listen to your music collection over and over.
on 19 December 2007
I'd heard that Grado made decent headphones but had fairly low expectations of this, the bottom of their range. I was amazed by the quality of the sound! I'm starting to save for the RS 1s in the expectation that it will completely change the way I hear recorded sound. An unqualified recommendation for a superb product.
on 19 March 2012
I have owned these for almost 5 years and only now discovered how good they are. I used them with my iPod (not much power to drive them) then the iPhone 3GS (much better volume and sound for some reason). Then I tried them connected to a Marantz PM66SE headphone output playing Apple lossless files. I had thought the sound a bit bright and lacking in bass punch when connected directly to the Apple gear and my PC headphone output. Playing the same tracks through the Marantz completely transformed the sound. No more brittle treble or shy bass. The sound became much warmer and the bass went deep..really deep and sounding natural at the same time. Real Hi-Fi!

They are very comfortable but have very poor sound insulation. The cable is also a bit short, but that is easily remedied.

In conclusion, if you really want to make the most of these cans please use a good Hi-Fi amp or headphone amp. I think their capabilities are wasted on anything else.
on 31 October 2008
I'm a studio engineer used to listening to sounds in far too much depth for my own good! I realised that all of my audio gear was designed to reveal the music I was listening too in all its stark ugly glory, in order to better be able to improve it. So I decided to treat myself to a pair of headphones designed to make music sound GOOD no matter what.

I hadn't actually seen any of the rave reviews before I went to the local high quality audio shop armed with a few cd's I knew well. I have to say that none of the other headphones in the same range came near, and I even preferred the sound to quite a few of the post £200 models. If you compare these headphones side by side with its rivals it blows them clear out of the water, awesome!

everything is tight and clear, they have restored my enjoyment for listening to music. They sound great on mp3 players and the like but hook them up to a great D/A converter and CD quality audio and I find that I can enjoy listening to pretty much anything!

I love the old style look too, much better than plastic space pads IMO. The build quality on mine are pretty good, no complaints here though I hear that at this price point some of the cosmetics can be a little shoddy. hey, its worth it for the sound!

As a side point though, they are not good for studio monitoring, they try and make a simple unaltered bass synth sound too good and its no good for your perception! they go plenty loud enough for produced audio but when mixing and tracking mine sound a little odd and struggle to keep up with yet-to-be compressed sounds etc for example they can buzz a bit with an untamed sub. I still find myself using them when working on parts late at night.

That said, this is not a concern for anyone other than producers and hey, if you want monitor headphones you wouldn't be looking at these. I'm thinking of buying a second pair in case they ever stop making them, they are that good!
on 18 May 2009
Great sound. Very musical. Good base.

For use at home with a computer or hi-fi. I use it with my iMac. Personally I couldn't detect any difference between the SR60 and the SR80. I wouldn't use it with a iPod out and about. You would look like a geek with these 1950 style headphones. Fairly comfortable but does clamp the head a bit. Nice thick 2m cable. Avoid the iGrados which are stiff, uncomfortable and have very thin wires.

The great sound (and price) saves an otherwise quirky product.
on 25 February 2008
I spent some time trying out headphones over the weekend. Bought some Grado SR 60's and what a bargain they are. Like others have said they produce a beautifully detailed sound with truly natural bass.They were in a different class to the others I tried.

They may not survive the rigours of a long daily commute year in year out, but other than that I can't see how anyone could be disappointed with these.
on 27 September 2011
These cans sound brilliant. They also look fantastic, which y'know, is important. The main problem with these is that they leak sound like crazy. You couldn't get away with wearing these on the bus or in bed while you're girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband is trying to get to sleep. Shame really, but a great pair of headphones.
on 5 December 2013
Did research before purchase and these cans were well received generally. Sound is indeed good and they can be worn for long periods without discomfort.
However, after 12 months use they broke (plastic c-clip on earpiece) and the repair cost £40. Since then they have broken twice more and I had to replace the lead.
There is a design fault because the lead is soldered with delicate wires onto the drivers and this is all that holds it on. There needs to be a grommet or similar (where the lead enters the earpiece) to take the strain off the soldered wires.
Then the small, black plastic tip came off the top of the metal rod & was lost so I had to replace with a rubber band.
I won't buy Grado again.
on 28 December 2007
Having listened with some cheap Sony MDR-XD200's I new I wasn't hearing the full music. But £80 for a set of headphones..In the end I asked for them for Xmas. I have to say I am mightily impressed. Sonically I've come out of the fog into the clear day. They are good, very good.