on 12 October 2004
This book was great. It included all the charecters from his other two childrens books and told a lot more about Billie-Jean. I loved it and I hope he writes a lot more stories about Mr Mack and Rover.
on 16 May 2006
I have read this and all the other "Rover" books by Roddy Doyle to my eight year old son. We had tears rolling down our faces. The humour - poos and commerical interruptions - are just right for that age. Please, Mr Doyle, write some more!
on 31 March 2006
I read this to my 7 year old son and we both thought it is fantastic, like all the other Doyle's novels. In my opinion, this book can only be appreciated by people who already know "The Gigglers treatment" and are able to understand Roddy Doyle's style. The story is not a "confusing load of tripe".... but obviously it depends on how you read the book. Surely enough it doesn't "seem like it's been written by a 6 year old" and I think that if someone "couldn't wait to finish this book", they shouldn't have finished it... like I did with "the series of unexpected events"... but, again, this is just my opinion. (I'm not alone, anyway, please read also the Hardback edition reviews.)
on 31 January 2005
Oh what wonderful nonsense! Mister Mack has invented a saw that looks like a machine gun, and was arrested after taking it into a bank! Mrs. Mack (actually Billie Jean Fleetwood-Mack) cannot be reached as she is presently trying to set a record by circling the globe. Little Kayla Mack and her friend Victoria have taken off on her talking dog to track down her mother, while Robbie and Jimmy Mack have set out to burrow into prison to rescue their father. Oh, yeah, and the narrator keeps getting into arguments with the reader. Yep, it's a right mess, and a lot of fun!
This book is quite a fun little find. The author, Roddy Doyle lives in Dublin, Ireland, and has spun out a wonderful little book of nonsense, that takes the reader around the world, with his head spinning the whole time! Yep, if you have a young reader (8-10, I would recommend), then get him or her this book, and your young reader will enjoy it as much as mine did. Highly recommended!
on 30 November 2006
There are not many books that I get as much fun out as my seven year old son but this is one of them!

This is a book to appeal to the anarchist in any child - the world is mad, slugs in crash helmets vote to take over the world and nothing makes sense...all of which makes perfect sense to the average seven year old. So buy this book if your child and you enjoy absurdism, wit and word plays.

My only complaint is that book is 160 pages of quite large print and that my son has already gone through 40 pages of it this evening on his own so its only going to take another couple of days to complete. Shame!
on 6 April 2009
When Mr Mack Lost his Job,he decided to become an Inventor.He got off to a bad start,He Was Arested!While Kayla is stuck in the hedge shouting to victoria her mum is on a secret mission.I enjoyed this book because it is so funny and full of excitement.It is full of little jokes and laughter.It has made me read other Roddy Doyle books,and I think it will make you too.
on 18 March 2009
This book is about a dog called Rover.It's a really funny book but it's also quite strange.Because there is a chapter that's only 6 words long! Billie Jean, the mother wants to be the first to cross the world but will she be first? I think this book is 5 out of 5 and a fabulous book.
on 3 January 2016
I loved it as much as other Roddy Doyle books.
I really liked the characters and there were lots of bits that made me laugh out loud!
on 15 January 2016
My 10 year old son loves these books we laugh at bed time.
on 7 August 2016