on 5 May 2001
Being a true convert to her wonderful recipes in "How to Eat" I eagerly purchased her new book to discover new exciting recipes. The recipes are nice, but this book falls into the trap of too many cookery books- pretty pictures and fonts but too little content. I will use this book and have already decided what to cook next, but this is a disappointment compared to past efforts.
3 people found this helpful
on 30 August 2005
I felt I had to write a review of this book purely because of others opinions; from many reviews I got the feeling that people thought the book contained too many pictures of Nigella, I wasn't put off by these comments, although I kept them in mind and decided to purchase the book anyway. And I am so glad that I followed my instincts and other fair reviews of the book. There are a minimal amount of photos of Nigella, and besides why not? it is after all her book! On the actual recipe content; I find Nigella's recipes interesting and easy to follow. Obviously some are not everyday foods and is exactly why they are included in themes within the book; 'Comfort food' 'Trashy' 'Rainy days' which I find makes the book even more endearing. A good buy with some fantastic puddings (although I am partial to like these recipes more than the others in the book!) unless you're overly picky!
48 people found this helpful
on 23 May 2001
There seems to be a lot of criticism of this book because of it's length and because of the amount of photographs. I actually prefer it to "How to Eat" because I can flick through it with ease and decide on what to make from the delicious looking photographs. I probably wouldn't have attempted the "salt and pepper squid" if it had just been a typed recipe on the page but the photo looked so appetising I had to give it a try (they came out beautifully). I like Nigella's writing because she manages to make me feel confident in what I'm doing and also quite special in an odd sort of way. She has renewed my interest in cooking and my husband thinks I am turning into quite a little domestic goddess.
9 people found this helpful
on 19 May 2001
How does nigella manage to make me laugh out loud in her cookery writing - something i have never experienced in other writers- and the sex - never since elizabeth david have i witnessed such flirtation - i love the photos - simply to add space between recipes - very helpful when propping the book open you simply place your object on the page - never thought of it before. And the most important thing it makes you just want to rattle those pots and pans!
on 22 October 2002
I know it sounds a bit hard, but once you've looked at all the photos (quite a few!) there's not much there left and it does not inspire you to rush into the kitchen and start cooking/baking like her "how to eat" and "how to be a domestic goddess". I've tried several times to sit down and look through it but I can never find a recipe that tickles my appetite or stimulates my desire to try it out.... Sorry, but like her latest book, it's just a waste of paper and even more so of money.
6 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2001
Not really a fan of Nigella's (not prior to purchase anyway), I simply bought this as it was at number 1 and, as the lady herself expands on in this publication, was having an amazon day. However I'd have to conceed that this is one of the best cookery books I've ever seen. It has plenty of great recipes plus chatty sections introducing each chapter and cool photos in with the bargain. Probably more of a woman's book, I'd even go as far as to say 'Nigella Bites' is essential in the kitchen of every home.
9 people found this helpful
on 11 June 2001
I love this book, it fits in so well with the recipes I am used to cooking from; old family recipes measured in bizzarely unique units of '2 mugfuls of flour - use blue mug with broken handle'.
It's like having someone there cooking with you, which makes the whole process of choosing what to cook and actually preparing it a much more relaxed affair, as you can be confident that you're not in for any nasty surprises. If you still think you might be a bit nervous cooking, for instance, 'ham in coca-cola' for the first time, just mix up a jugful of Nigella's Bloody Mary and it wont seem half as bad!
Nigella, if you're reading this (as you claim to be a late-night Amazon addict) then I just want to say a big THANKYOU - especially for the choc fudge cake.... and the orange muffins.... and the chicken soup.... oooooh, and the salt and pepper squid - amazing!
44 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2002
I was given this book for Christmas (I already own her two previous titles) I made the chocolate fudge cake for my 8 year old's birthday party. I have to say it rose when sandwiched together about 10 inches! It tasted fab too. One of my son's friends complained that it was too rich.... but no one else did!! The turkish delight syllabub is apprently good too - a friend of mine made it. Well done Nigella!
2 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2006
This is the first of Ms Lawson's books that I encountered and I absolutely loved her style of writing. Its all so realistic..."you can make this dish by doing this, this and this but if its all too much trouble just pop the lot in a blender and blitz." Her pancakes are a regular feature at breakfast in our house as are most of the cakes and biscuits. I think one of the most enjoyable aspects of this book is that you can sit down and read it at any time, not just when you are looking for inspiration!
25 people found this helpful
on 22 July 2002
Being a single working female with zero cooking skills, this book is an absolute winner, the Chocolate Lime Cheesecake is a must for all pudding fans.
I have found other cookery books uninspiring, but with Nigella Bites I find myself ammending her recipies to suit my own tastes and finding they work just as well, the Notes sections are an excellent idea.
I have also found that its as though Nigella is there with you when you're cooking, its not all instructions, shes's having a conversation with you...
A must for all non cooks and cooks alike!
2 people found this helpful