VINE VOICEon 6 June 2007
A beautiful old weepie with an unlikely plot, but the ending always moves me to tears.

The proposal scene between the two main characters is the sweetest on film in my opinion. Ronald Coleman and Greer Garson are a dream together.

Greer Garson was on a roll in 1942. After this she went on to make 'Mrs Miniver' and win an Oscar. This put her in two of the most succesful and best remembered films of that year.

Imagine how important escapism like this was in those grim, horrific war years.

Buy it in for the next rainy weekend. My copy plays fine on my region 2 machine as well as my multi region.
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 11 April 2011
Made about the same time as that other classic romance "Now Voyager" this has certainly stood the test of time. Nominated for 7 Oscars, including Best Picture in 1943. it is a classic love story of a British army officer who has lost his memory whilst serving in the trenches of World War 1. On Armistice Day, he meets a music hall singer, falls in love, marries her and has a son. Then as a result of an accident, the previous three years of his life is completely forgotten. The rest of the story is so well known, there is no need for me to repeat it here.

Starring two British born actors, Greer Garson and Ronald Colman, they are perfect together on the screen. Ably supported by a cast including Henry Travers, Reginald Owen and the lovely Susan Peters, with good direction from Mervyn Le Roy.

I was a little concerned with the purchase though since it is NTSC, but it is Region 2 and will play on European DVD Players. Moreover, with Korean script on the box, I thought it may have had Korean subtitles, which it did, but you can switch it off.

I was pleased though to see that picture quality is rather good, although soundtrack is mono which it would be considering the film's age. Dialogue is clear though, and background music never intrusive. A very good buy at a fantastic price.
on 5 January 2013
This is a fairy story and a good one at that. (To my knowledge things don't happen quite like this in real life, but so what?.) I recall the film from my early childhood when I had the notion that marriage between a man and a woman could return a sort of perfect happiness. Colman and Garson are well cast in the principle roles, both with impeccable diction and controlled emotions. Susan Peters as a 15 year-old takes a ittle getting used to! But for me the thing is spoiled by an almost continuous background of soft, sentimental music. However, one would have to be made of stone not to be close to a watery eye from time to time!
on 4 November 2014
I was so pleased to finally be able to get this on DVD as last saw it on TV years ago as a child/teenager. It was just as marvellous as I remembered and I blubbed at the end as I did all those years ago! the book by James Hilton is also excellent.
on 21 March 2017
Very good copy of this old film, which I bought to replace my old VHS copy.
Excellent picture and sound quality.
Good film but too well known to justify another review of the film
on 3 May 2017
A must to see for romantics.

One of my most favourite films which concentrates on Shell Shock or PTSD as it is known today when our brave soldiers of WW1 returned home and how it affected them.
on 5 January 2015
My wife's favourite weepie and I dont mind saying that along with the Railway Children ( Lionel Jefferies version) the only other film to bring a tear to my eye . Great film. They simply don't make em like this anymore. Ronald Colman and Greer Garson -pure class and substance. Good transfer and although an import, it works fine on my Sony Bluray player. I wish there was a Bluray version out there but alas not yet. No extras with the DVD but who cares
on 16 October 2014
Just love this old film, of love conquers all xx
on 3 October 2017
Classic film once you get rid of the subtitles (not hard)
on 18 July 2017
a treat for romantics everywhere