Toomies Hide & Squeak Eggs Preschool Toy
Style: Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs|Change

on 26 October 2016
We love our Tomy eggs! While pregnant I had heard loads of recommendations about how good they were, so when they were at a low price one day I reluctantly added some to my basket. I have to admit I doubted the reviews as I was on a big wooden toy kick, searching for the 'best' and most interesting toys available and found these eggs to be rather unappealing/garish and thought they would be a bit of a 'one trick pony' in terms of longevity. I am pleased to say I was totally wrong though as they still remain one of my daughter and her friends' favourite toys, even now that she is 2.5 years old!

Although the eggs seem a bit simple and boring to an adult, kids seem totally captivated by them - bright colours, noises, a little carrying case, the ability to stack/organise and then destroy (always the best bit!), and multiple layers of discovery and activity.

When baby is small they can simply remove the shell 'lids' and bash the eggs to get a little chirpy sound out of them (mechanical not electronic, thankfully!), or pick the eggs up and feel the zigzag shape of the shells. As they get older they like to unpack and pack the eggs back in the box, and attempt to fit the shell 'lids' back on the eggs in the correct way (surprisingly tricky for them, involving great effort to develop the motor skills and grip needed to rotate the shells into the corresponding zigzag hole). When they are toddlers they can begin to match and identify the colours properly, and the eggs also have shapes (triangle, star etc) on the bottoms that match to specific shape holes in the bottom of the egg box. At the toddler stage they are also of course beginning to get interested in pretend play with food toys, so the Tomy eggs double as eggs to serve on plastic toast for lunch!

These are so great that I have actually bought two further sets to give as gifts and they have been as loved by the other children as they have been by my own.

In terms of physical longevity and practicality they are also surprisingly great - no snapped plastic parts, they're still squeaking and the faces haven't even rubbed off. The only way they could be more perfect is if there were eco-friendly credentials and the eggs were BPA-free for the inevitable mouthing of them that takes place in the early stages.

A must-have, especially at Amazon's price!
on 29 December 2017
Bought this for my 8 month old son for Christmas. He loves playing with them, keeps him occupied for a long time so I can get on with things. They’ll last a long time my sister had them when she was 6 months old and played with them until she was 3/4 (she’s nearly 6 now and will still play with them when she comes across them from time to time). Can’t fault them! ☺️
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 10 February 2018
I think this toy is over rated. The quality is good however not sure about the design with screw at the bottom. Disappointed the eggs aren't that squeaky. My 3 Year old is enjoying more than baby.
review image
on 28 February 2018
Thank you! He loves it!
review image
on 19 February 2017
Bought this for my 11 month old son, he loves it, but not as much as I do. He's still trying to figure how how it all works, how the pieces fit together, but he really loves it when mummy plays with it. We've got a game where I have to fit all the pieces into the box with shells on before he chucks them all back out again. This game gets mad, eggs launching everywhere, mummy trying faster and faster to get them all in, then wooooossshhhh, they're all flying through the air again. Great fun, and still not beat him. It's a fab toy though, great for our 11 month old and will grow with him as he learns more and gets more coordinated, matching the shapes and colours of the shells to the chicks. It's a nice quality Tomy toy and can take a bashing from a crazy boy. He especially loves flapping the lid of the box open and closed and it's not showing any signs of wear. Great toy, lots of fun!
on 23 October 2017
Like some other reviewers, I'm also puzzled why so many people praise this toy. First of all, in my opinion, it is hardly suitable for a six-month-old child. At least, my child wasn't much interested in it at this age. Now, at the age of 1,5, it holds her attention for no more than 5 minutes. Secondly, they hardly produce any sound and you need to press really hard, which is disappointing. Actually, my child likes the yellow box more than the eggs themselves. Overall, it's a nice toy and I personally find it sweet, but it doesn't seem to be very engaging for a child.
on 7 December 2017
Best toy I’ve ever purchased for my daughter. I bought this when she was 6 months old and she still likes playing with the eggs at almost 2, though we’ve now lost a few. When we’ve had friends round their children have always been drawn to the egg box as well, it seems to be a very satisfying toy for little ones as the design and quality is fantastic, as are the colours. I have bought more as presents as they have been such a big hit.
on 2 February 2018
These are amazing!!
The age says 6m+, my son is 2y 6m and loves these. He has a kitchen and is a little behind with speech, 'eggs' is one of his clearest words and he spots them everywhere. I bought these and they've been his favourite toy ever since.
With the added benefits of learning colours, shapes and the inevitable squeak that comes with all "baby" toys, I'd highly recommend them.
on 18 August 2017
This a toy I could say it has survived so far as nothing has broken which could worth a star more but it has not be played that much. It seems my one-year-old son does not really like this toy, maybe at 2-3 years of age could find a better use for those instead of just tossing them around the house. Which brings me to the danger of these eggs that would be for an adult to step on those pointy eggshell edges. I am always very careful walking around this toy. The sound of the eggs is not very appealing when you press them and it can get frustrating even. Colours are great and plastic feels sturdy. Pressing the eggs at least for me as an adult is not at all satisfying and I prefer to refrain from it, my son now 2 years of age does not press them either.
on 28 December 2017
My kid is almost two and loves eggs. These are just ok. He has shown a little interest but not as keen as I would have hoped. Might have been better off buying a few kinda-eggs as he'd enjoy them more than he has these. They did seem a bit dirty too as other reviews have said. Other kids might find more enjoyment I'm just letting you know how my kid of 2yrs reacted to them.