Customer reviews

on 27 November 2004
I have grown up with this film, as my father loved it, and his father before, and have been waiting for it to be released on DVD for ages. In Mon Oncle Jaques Tati created a very funny film (in places), a very French film, but above all a film that to me is a statement about life itself. Sometimes the action can be slow, but sometimes life is slow, and you have to wait for the payoff. And when that payoff comes, in Mon Oncle it's amongst the best cinematic moments ever, such as Tati testing the coffee maker for bounciness in his brother's hi-tec 50's kitchen. I will always treasure my Grandad belly laughing at the young boys tricking passers by into the lamp post - this film is like a personal treasure for me, and if it may not have the speed and pace of modern comedies, it has a huge wit, and a feeling of timelessness that will make it a classic forever.
11 Comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2012
I was just doing a little comparison test here and sure, the BFI dvd picture looks great... but the Blu-Ray is heaps sharper and the colours are brighter and more vivid. This really brings the movie alive. The difference between the warm glow of Mr Hulot's old-fashioned neighbourhood and the bluey-white sterility of his brother-in-law's ultra-modern house is more obvious than ever.(A favorite scene of mine is where the little boy's mother prepares his boiled egg as if it were a dental procedure.)

Perhaps you are wondering if upgrading your old copy is worth the cost. I would answer in the affirmative. Not only is the picture better but we also get the English version of Tati's masterpiece ("My Uncle") plus the correct 1.37:1 aspect ratio.

A minor quibble on my part. I find that I cannot select subtitles from the Set-Up Menu on neither my Sony nor my LG player. I can manage to get subs via my remote control on the LG but still nothing on the Sony. This might just be a quirk with my particular players but... yeah, I'd thought I'd better warn you on that one.
on 7 November 2012
Jacques Tati at the top of his game
an absolute joy from start to finish
even the kids and doggies are great in it
in reply to the first reviewer there are english
subtitles on the french version but no subtitles at all on the english one they should come up automatically when you insert the disc the subtitle menu is a little confusing when its dark they're on and when it's bright they're off instead of the other way around hope this helps and you get to enjoy this fabulous film the way you want to
on 7 July 2017
Jacques Tati at his finest, this film I a very nice thing to watch and will leave you feeling very happy
on 30 September 2013
This CD was delivered on time and is a great CD I will be buying more from this company in the future.
on 30 September 2013
20th century masterpiece, the BluRay is as good as you can hope. No problems at all with anything here. Enjoy!
on 10 February 2015
Great Product Great transaction
on 14 September 2014
One of the funniest films of all time
on 8 March 2015
Fine
on 8 October 2005
Jacques Tati's "Mon Oncle" astonished me by its fresh attitude. I saw this film for the first time in 2001, yet it feels as if I'd known it much longer. I adore its backgrounds - that's why you need to watch it at least twice - once to grasp the idea what's in the foreground, twice to notice the background, ever-walking workers with sausage-like plastic tubes among others. It's as much a film as a painting. I watched it again a week ago - and, sadly, it's still funny in 2005, and the laugh is on us - we love electronic devices around, we cherish high-tech kitchens and offices, yet sometimes we can't find our own self.