on 3 April 2018
I’d already seen the very good ‘Mon Oncle’ by Jacques Tati, so I thought I’d give this film a whirl. It was pleasant enough, but not especially hilarious; Tati’s hectic bike ride towards the end was the best moment - but by then it was a little too late to convince me that this was a film I’d want to sit through again.

This particular 'BFI' DVD also presents a curious colour version of ‘Jour de Fete’ that was shot alongside the original black-and-white footage, and only recently processed.
on 12 January 2017
Gentle , rural and funny first film from Jacques Tati , rather Chaplin influenced in places , but the Tati magic is already very much at work . He plays a bumbling village postman , briefly and drunkenly inspired to "modernize" his postal routine . Like all Tati's films , it reveals subtle touches with each viewing . The faded colour effect only adds to its appeal .
on 23 June 2017
EXCELLENT COMEDY. SAW IT WHEN IT FIRST CAME TO ENGLISH CINEMAS AND THOUGHT IT WAS BRILLIANT.
HAVING SEEN IT AGAIN, AFTER SUCH A LONG LAPSE IN TIME, I STILL THINK IT IS HILARIOUS. IN MY OPINION
IT HASN'T DATED BUT STILL RETAINS THE MARVELLOUS OBSERVATIONAL HUMOUR THAT EPITOMISED JACQUES
TATI'S FILMS.
WELL WORTH BUYING, ESPECIALLY AT THE PRICE!
on 2 November 2010
This DVD quite simply brought back memories of when I first saw it, and it was just as hilarious this time around. Whether the addition of colour is an improvement I don't know, but it will have to be up to the individual to decide. Nevertheless, my sides were aching through laughter when I played this DVD. In his day Jaques Tati was the master of mime, and it was his foresight not to keep to the same character of the postman, but to move on and introduce different characters in each film. Overall I really enjoyed this DVD, and it was not until I saw a documentary on Tati that I discovered the name of the film, hence the inordinate delay before buying the DVD.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2009
I have the other more popular Jacques Tati films, so thought I'd buy this to add to the collection.
I must admit, I watched it amongst chaos, with kids running in and out, so it didnt get my full attention....
However, although I feel the film isnt quite as good as the others, I still found it enjoyable to watch, and quite humerous as you would expect. As with all of these films, you do need to watch everything and everyone!
If you are a Jacques Tati fan, make sure you get round to buying this for your collection too.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2017
A brilliant and charming film. Recommended.
on 10 April 2017
Excellent early Tati material.
on 5 June 2010
In this film Tati surely shows his true comic genius in so many ways. His observations of small French town life are so true even now 60 years on, with many moments in the film that are amost Chaplinesque in their brilliance. I think I prefer the original black and white version to this experimental colour one but this appears to be the only one now available on dvd. Buy it and you will not be disappointed in a search for laughs.
on 25 August 2013
Having purchased, and enjoyed multiple times, both 'Les Vacances' and 'Mon Oncle' I purchased 'Jour de Fete' and 'Traffic' to make up my collection of Tati films. Although the former was entertaining it was by no means as hysterically funny as vacances and Mon Oncle.
on 13 April 2016
I have waited all my life to see this film and it is a masterpiece of the Tati style . Wonderful to see it at last