Customer reviews

Between The Sheets
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 February 2005
The album features a bundle of soulful and sassy RnB. Highlights of the album inculde the pre-released singles; 'On my Knes', 'Dumb' and 'Teardrops'. But also un release tracks such as; 'Forever Begins', 'You can't fight love' and 'China Girl'show off the girls voices and talent. However tunes such as; 'What if it was you?' and 'Jumpin' let the album down and are clearly not up to the standard of most tracks on the album.
Tipped to be the British 'Destinys Child', The 411 offers a selection of hits which will both appeal to their fans and also appeal to more mature RnB/Pop lovers.
By all means go and buy this album if you were impressed by the sample singles already released!
on 22 January 2010
Stand-out track is "Dumb" but all the tracks are good, with the exception of the very last one, which I wasn't keen on. I wish they were still together, they were capable of so much more, it's a shame.
Checking out the videos to their singles, the black and white video to "Teardrops" was not quite abysmal, but getting there. This kind of psuedo arty pretentiousness would hardly have worked with a very successful and established act, but was a disaster for an act still starting out, in the sense that it takes a while before anyone can be said to have truly 'arrived'. The video to "On My Knees" was watchable and worthwhile, but the video to "Dumb" was absolutely superb, one of the best videos I have seen, ever! It showed off to perfection what a class act they were and the potential showed by them in that video was enormous. The video bears watching over and over again and you would not easily tire of it, and there's not many videos you can say that about. (Another great video is the one to "1 Thing" by Amerie, but this suprasses even that). Pure glamour and class. If they had concentrated on more in this vein, then they may have been around still.
on 18 May 2016
This is a solid debut album., with lyrics about self-empowerment and social themes. It is a shame that the group did not last long.

1. On My Knees - 8/10 - This is a nice track, with self-empowerment lyrics. The strings on the track are nice. I also like the arrangement and the way the verses are sung/rapped. Ghostface Killah makes a nice addition to the track.
2. Teardrops - 9/10 - Another standout track, along the same vein as the first track lyric-wise.
3. China Girl - 9/10 - Brilliant instrumentals on this track. I like the Eastern-effect invoked. All in all, it is a very relaxed track with a nice melody and good vocals.
4. Chance - 8/10 - A nice track, with a good beat.
5. My Friend - 7/10 - I like the chorus sung in a lower register to the verses. I also like the storytelling element in the verses and how the chorus flows from it. The instrumentals are pretty solid on the track.
6. Between the Sheets - 5/10 - I'm not a massive fan of the titular track. It is a relaxing slow jam, but it's not very interesting.
7. Dumb - 10/10 - This is the track that first drew me to The 411. It is definitely the standout track on the album, with a very catchy chorus. The vocals sound nice.
8. Forever Begins - 9/10 - This track has got a catchy beat. The lyrics which addresses the loss of a loved one are quite touching. The ladies sound great on the track and their harmonising is good.
9. Jumpin' - 3/10 - I could do without this track. This is low-point on the album for me. It is just rather repetitive and I did not really enjoy the Reggae adaptation.
10. What If It Was You? - 7/10 - The lyrical content is similar to "China Girl". Another very pleasant mid-tempo track, with nice vocals.
11. I Don't Want To Talk About it - 8/10 - Another mid-tempo track. Very soothing voices and instrumentals, especially the violin. The rap carries on the chill vibe.
12. Can't Find Love - 5/10 - An okay ballad. I'd have much preferred a different closing track, but the track is by no means awful.
on 22 November 2004
I've had this album on preorder for over a month now, and when i played it for the first time on Saturday, it was even better than expected.
The hilights are the three singles, China Girl, Chance, I Don;t Want To Talk About It, and Can't Fight Love.
Chance is a lot like Dumb - uptempo dancey number, reminds me a bit of Atomic Kitten - B With You
China Girl is the most meaningful track on the album, and samples Asian music - very different from anything else I have heard before, I hope this becomes a single.
I Don;t Want To Talk About It in a way is similar to On My Knees, it's a slowish tempo track with a guest appearance from a rapper.
Can't Fight Love is a nice little ballad, tells a storey in a similar way to Sugababes - Caught In A Moment.
All the other tracks are also excellent, Jumpin has a raggae feel to it, My Friend, deals with drug addiction and Domestic Violence.
There's something for everyone on this album,, the only complaint I have is that it doesn;t have any more tracks, The 411 girls deserve a really good chart position with this album and unlike other female groups have writing credits for every track on the album. Also unlike other groups (with the exception of Sugababes and may=ybe Mis-Teeq) they are not afraid to work with different sounds - leaving you with one of the most varied and one of the best albums that has been released so far this year. Girls Aloud may be teh pop group of teh year, but The 411 deserve to be the British R&B act of the year, and have filled the hole left by the separture of All Saints - something other acts such as Smoke2Seven and Sirens have been dubbed before - only for them to disappear off the face of the earth (In the Siren's case it's justified as they are that bad and uninteresting).
Well done girls, amd hopefully here's to your second album!!
on 22 November 2004
Based on the strength of the first 3 singles "On My Knees", "Dumb" and "Teardrops", I rushed out to get this album. I'm not really in to R&B, but I loved the style of the singles.
And I wasn't disappointed - there are more strong songs here - "I Don't Want To Talk About It", "China Girl" and "Between The Sheets" are all very good, but in between these and the 3 singles it gets a little formulaic, with one song "Jumpin'" really letting the side down, and taking the polish off an otherwise good album.
If you like the singles, you will like the album, but don't expect 11 tracks of the quality of "On My Knees".
on 18 February 2015
Bought for my son a n d he seems to like it, especially On my knees, which he plays constantly!
on 27 November 2004
After listening to this album onece, i was hooked. After lovin On My Knees and Dumb, I was ready and waiting for an album; and the 411 delivered. 12 tracks of upbeat, modern and funky tunes. But also voicing issues on important issues in tracks such as "My Friend" and "What If It Was You?", i would definitly recommend this to be a part of anyone's cd collection
on 25 November 2004
The 411 from London have made a really good debut album with lots of strong tracks like the ultra sexy singles Dumb, Teardrops and On My Knees. If you liked the singles that i just mentioned then you will love this album. Please enjoy this class and sexy album!
on 6 February 2005
I don't usually write reviews, but after listening to this album, I felt I had to.
It is amazing! Every track is good, no filler at all.
on 4 December 2004
I was thinking back in the summer that if they released an album then I would definately buy it. I did and I have had it just under a week and can't put it down!!!!
My favourite tracks on this album would be Teardrops, China Girl and My Friend but this isn't to say that the rest of the album isn't good. It's brilliant. I know all the song words to all of the tracks!!!
Well done girls and look forward to the second album!