Charlie Chan movies are an acquired taste. I'm assuming that you have that taste or you wouldn't be looking at this review of the video.

I hadn't seen this movie in over 30 years, and I was curious to see if my obsession with Charlie Chan had survived. I must report that I'm still hooked.

Why? The plot is extremely compact, complex, and well developed. Even knowing who did what to whom, I was fascinated to see the story unfold.

I expected to be bothered by the treatment of Charlie as a Chinese American, but that was handled with reasonable aplomb. Charlie is obviously the smartest guy in the room, and everyone figures that out pretty quickly. Once they know him, they all love Charlie. There's one scene early on where Charlie is patronized by a new acquaintance, but he handles it all with grace. The rest of the time, Charlie receives the kind of treatment that a detective king might command. Warner Oland graciously takes it all as his due.

Those who love Keye Luke who played Lee Chan in the series will be pleased to see that he has a good sized role in Charlie Chan in Paris.

Those who love Apache dancing will enjoy that scene.

What really shocked me was how poorly the film represented Paris. Aside from some French names and a pair of Apache dancers, no one in the film seems to be French. The effort is most amateurish except for an interesting trip through the Paris sewers which is rigged with an unexpected gag.
on 5 November 2015
I have not undone the sealed dvd as it's for a present. Very pleased that it is sealed well & obviously brand new. My daughter in law will be delighted that i was able to purchase this gem of yesteryear. Thank you Amazon
Charlie Chan movies are an acquired taste. I'm assuming that you have that taste or you wouldn't be looking at this review of the DVD.

Those who love Apache dancing will enjoy that scene.

on 7 July 2006
CHARLIE CHAN IN PARIS is one of the better entries in the Chan series. It is the tenth Chan film and the seventh in which Warner Oland plays the role of the venerable detective. It marks the first appearance of Keye Luke as Lee Chan, Charlie's number one son.

Philip MacDonald wrote the screenplay. Earl Derr Biggers, the author of the six Charlie Chan novels, had already died in 1933 - two years before this movie was issued by 20th Century Fox.
on 20 August 2014
Yet another film requested by my son who knew what to expect in old film quality. He saw them when he was a child.
on 26 January 2016