Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 May 2015
One of the archetypal British prog. titans- though with an occasional jazzy tinge - Crimson produced several essential early 70s works and arguably set the template for chin-stroking progressive rock with In the Court of the Crimson King (no Genesis without this debut album?). Admittedly their epic displays of their superb musicianship ccasionally meander and sound dated now but they deserve respect for intelligent, mellotron-swathed rock spleandour, and although pretentious at times this is in keeping with the era. Ladies of the Road in fact belies this pretentious image.This set, although to my mind not quite up to the standard of the previous album Lizard benefits from showcasing the last of Peter Sinfield's expressive vocals and amply features Fripp's unique guitar style, especially on the instrumental Sailor's Tale. If you appreciate thoughtful prog. this is worth buying for the majestic title track alone.
on 17 November 2007
Islands isn't exactly the people's favorite King Crimson album, with so many brilliant releases, it's inevitable that some get left behind. Another thing is that, after you've bought this you probably wont listen to this record too often.
However, when you are in the mood, this is a brilliant album, very spacey and slow paced with great flute and sax that really floats along beautifully.
On the heavier tracks, like 'Ladies of the Road,' there is a touch of the Schizoid Man/Pictures of a City style crimson fans have come to expect, however this album is mostly a kind of sprawling open minded cosmic jam.
The difference between the loose sprawling nature of Islands and the loose sprawling jams they play at other times, is that on Islands, they are great and beautiful, not just a mess of noise.
The two best racks are, in my opinion 'Sailors Tale,' (a brilliant building instrumental with a jazzy kick to it) and the title track 'Islands,' which is just plain wonderful.
Islands is a great record, that you deffinatly should buy, even if you don't listen to it every day.
44 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2015
The easiest King Crimson album for me to get into.
I felt that the music made sense to me from the beginning and now after several listens, I thoroughly enjoy this album.

It is however entirely different from other King Crimson albums I've heard.

I tend to consider Album 1 - 3 as being of a similar sound.... This being album No. 4..... And I consider album 5 - 7 as being of a similar sound.

This album stands out as being very different, musically AND lyrically from other Crimson.
on 1 August 2014
Some great tracks, even if some of it does perhaps sound a bit over-indulgent by today's standards. That said, the unusual instruments used for a rock band make it interesting throughout. The title track is still a classic in my book - I couldn't have imagined that one of my favourite solos would have been played on a cornet!
on 7 January 2010
This is another album I orginally had in vinyl back in the day and I remember being one of the few of my crowd who actually liked it. It bears a few listens to hear the changes from the tone and mood of the previous albums into what I call their "thrashy" period, and will also slowly unfold as you listen to it more and more. I was a bit apprehensive re-buying it on CD after not having access to the vinyl for a few years, but I haven't been disappointed, and even feel the power of Sailor's Tale and Formentera Lady are still there as I remember. It's just great when old memories actually live up to the expectation.
on 26 February 2012
I last heard this album when I had it on vinyl and long since sold. I recently bought it on CD and wallowed in nostalgia. I rate this second only to 'In The Court of the Crimson King' but it is a totally different album and so is difficult to compare. It is more jazz-influenced with weird time signatures but great lyrics and great songs from the gorgeous 'Islands' to the down and dirty 'Ladies of the Road'. Just great, just buy it!
on 12 January 2017
Great album
I really only got this for one track... The Letters.
But the whole album is sublime.
on 29 June 2013
Having already bought the vinyl album several years ago , I thought that I would get the updated cd version as I am a big fan of the band and their music and have been for quite some time.
on 10 June 2015
Brilliant
on 10 December 2014
The best prog rock album you will ever have he pleasure of hearing, forced or voluntarily