Customer reviews

Best 1991 - 2004 (U.S. Version)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 June 2017
Good service from music magpie I use them a lot. They aren't expensive and are quick with delivery. The cd itself is in perfect condition though the case is worn and a bit bashed but then again I suppose this is reflected in the price would definitely recommend !
on 4 June 2017
Play this while cleaning the house, keeps me motivated.
on 25 January 2005
An interesting greatest hits work. The album spans from the early tracks such as 'Killer' to his less commercial recent work. The album opens with the hit 'Crazy', a downbeat dance track with its familiar beat and Seals empowering vocals. It is not until you hear the distinct sound of his frosty voice that you remember just how good a singer he is. He flows gracefully from low to high notes, from reserved to free, but always controlled.
The dance tracks eclipse the slower material. 'Killer' erupts with a bass line so heavy and brooding it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, the maximum volume on your hi-fi were made for tracks like this.
Although the later tracks are never weak, and are probably better suited for Seal's voice, they don't seem to pack the same punch as the first half of the album, perhaps with the exception of the funky 'Fly Like An Eagle'. There is a dignified cover of Burt Baccarach's 'Walk On By', which Seal carries off soulfully.
A varied album in all, including a handful of powerful tracks, and a good display from a very talented vocalist.
on 5 September 2005
If you have DVD-Audio capable surround sound, a very worthy addition to your collection. The range of singles is excellent and Seal's ability simply shines in this collection; surround versions of his regular hits followed by accoustic versions.... and then some videos... awesome value, but the quality and sound is brilliantly mixed. I do feel that a good surround mix on DVD_Audio or SACD makes an otherwise "OK" CD just way ahead in the listening experience - not everybodies views though.
If you have DVD_Audio, like Seal - you have to get this.... have to!
on 9 November 2004
WOW! Words just cannot do justice to this. If you are a fan of Seal, no doubt you will already have all of the tracks on the first cd, and the well produced cover of Walk on By is a nice addition to the mix. However, I would recommend everyone getting this 2 CD set for the acoustic bonus disc. 13 great tracks that will blow your mind! Great vocals from a real singer with soul, and an almost jazzy tempo and recording style. Buy this, and enjoy a very rare musical experience.
on 25 November 2004
If there was a male version of Sade, Seal would have to be that person. Like Sade, Seal has a voice that could melt butter. Although I don't really consider myself a diehard fan of his music, I still enjoy his music whenever his songs would air on the radio. I thought his "The Best of: 1994 - 2004" would be the ideal collection for this casual fan. I bought the gold version which comes complete with a second disc of acoustic versions of his hits. It may have been pricey but I felt I got my money's worth. The acoustic disc is definitely worth shelling out the extra $$$. If I thought the original version of "Love Divine" was emotionally moving, the sparse acoustic version is even more breathtaking. I love both versions equally. "Love Divine" is my favorite song in the past few years that I have not gotten sick and tired of hearing. I also adore "Don't Cry", "Kiss From a Rose", "Crazy", and "Prayer For the Dying". I used to be sick and tired of those songs but since it is rare for me to hear Seal on the radio nowadays, those songs have once again became favorites of mine. I also loved Seal's version of Echo and the Bunnymen's "Lips Are Like Sugar". It may not be as good as the original but I thought he did a great job covering the song however I did not like "Fly Like an Eagle" but then again I didn't like the original song by The Steve Miller Band to begin with. For anyone who is contemplating getting Seal's best of compilation, get the gold version. You will definitely love hearing his songs acoustically.
on 21 February 2005
Great album. I have enjoyed SEAL's music since the early 90's but anybody looking for an introduction to his work has found the perfect compilation. As a fan of SEAL I was disappointed that this collection did not include 'Newborn Friend' from his SEAL II album but all the other main ones are here really....
Interestingly I play the bonus acoustic collection cd more than the main one. I love the acoustic versions of Bring it on, Kiss from a Rose and Killer especially but the whole arrangement is great and really demonstrates his amazing voice and keeps you captivated.
Fantastic CD, if you like SEAL the acoustic collection is a must-have.
on 4 February 2010
I bought this CD on a whim, I had never bought anything by Seal before. But I can tell you that I love it!
My favourite tracks are, Kiss from a Rose and Loves Divine these are closely followed by Killer. I love Seals voice it sounds so powerful and sexy. I even managed to convert my husband to Seal's music his favourite is Loves Divine. Altogether I love the music and will be buying more of Seal.
on 17 February 2005
If like me, you hate music that's around at the moment, but love a great melody, then buy this album. I can't fault it. Soulful, tuneful and passionate!
'Love's Divine' gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it, his voice makes me melt!! Just make sure you play it loud!!
on 1 August 2007
If ever a modern day artiste could fill the mighty shoes of Marvin Gaye then It's Seal. Emerging from obscurity as the dreadlocked dude who added attitude to Adamski's Killer and made the summer of 1990, he then emerged with his own eponymous album in 1991. "Crazy", "Future Love Paradise" and a reworked"Killer" made great listening. But it was the slow growing"Seal" of 1994 which really blew me away. a perfectly formed shaven Seal is framed against a pure white background and an iconic image is formed. The songs are outstanding "Bring it On" "Prayer for the Dying" "Dream in Metaphors" are soul searching and soul soothing especially at the time when I was raw from being dumped by a then girlfriend. "Kiss from A Rose" needs no intro propelled into the mainstream on it's second release with the Batman Returns Project. Seal possibly lay back on his laurels and we didn't get any new material till 1998's "Human Being" An underrated excellent album which is a slow grower and is woth a purchase for"Just like you said" and "When a man is wrong". A subsequent album was scrapped in it's entirety and "Seal IV" from 2003 was more dancey and upbeat "Keep it together" "Love's Divine" and "My Vision" all excellent. Seal's live in Paris showed us that his silky voice isn't studio trickery. this Greatest Hits pckage is a must have for all Seal fans and The accoustic versions are gems created painstakingly and can be enjoyed as separate songs in their own right. Here's to another Seal album ASAP.