Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

on 6 May 2010
I first heard Anna Nalick on greys anatomy with breathe 2am,I bought the album for that song and hoped the other tracks would love up to that.Most of them did although a couple took a few listens.Citadel is now my firm favourite but its a classy album and well worth listeing too.
on 20 December 2016
Gorgeous album.
on 4 September 2016
Love it
on 9 June 2014
Lovely album, quite varied tracks which keep it interesting. Heard a track on greys anatomy, just breathe... Amazing song. Rest of the album isn't really like that but still good.
on 23 July 2007
2AM (Breathe) is probably the song most people who have heard of Anna Nalick will have heard first (it has been used on TV series and films quite alot), and it definitely is representative of the quality of this album. After hearing just that song I decided to get the album, and the haunting yet charming melodies and Anna's unique voice make this one to give a listen. It sounds fairly back to basics, but the production hits the right balance between that and sounding bare- so what you get is soulful songs which haven't been polished in a studio to become unrecognisable. Most of the songs (especially 'Wreck of the day','2AM','Paper Bag') will have you wanting to hear them again and again and inevitably have them stuck in your head for the remainder of the day. It's a good album to listen to in any mood, and slightly different from the rest of my collection but still one of my faves.
VINE VOICEon 25 July 2005
The latest in a line of moody, deep female vocalists, California native Anna Nalick claims the influences of Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, The Cranberries, Blind Melon, John Mayer and Stevie Ray Vaughn. Pretty heady stuff for a 21 year old, who got her big break by knowing the right people at the right time, and having a demo tape handy.
In my opinion, she sounds like a mixture of Alanis Morissette and Sara McLaughlin, with the youthful buzz of Avril Lavigne in ballad mode.
Slower and more introspective than current pop offerings, her eleven song debut album sounds like something from a much more seasoned performer, not unlike fellow youngsters Joss Stone and LeAnn Rimes.
Nalick wrote all the songs on the album, blending haunting melodies a la Ms. McLaughlin with spiritually uplifting lyrics. The best songs on the album are "Breathe (2 AM)" where she sounds very similar to Alanis Morissette; "Citadel" a song that would fit in on any Sara McLaughlin album; "Paper Bag" which as you might guess sounds like an Avril Lavigne ballad; "Satellite" my personal pick; and the very Cranberries track "In My Head"; but they're all pretty good.
A young talent with a bright future.
Amanda Richards
on 10 September 2007
I first came across Anna Nalick after watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy and hearing Breathe (2am) and I felt I had to hear more, and I wasn't disappointed. I normally don't buy a lot of albums but I have to say this was worth every penny. Anna sings beautifully and it is her powerful voice that is most striking on this album especially on the track "in my head" and her emotion is captivating in her heartfelt lyrics.
For me the best tracks have to be Breathe (2am), Paper Bag, Satellite, In The Rouch, In My Head, Bleed and Consider This. I think the weakest track is probably the title track in my opinion. But time after time it is a very listenable album and you will find yourself playing it again and again, it is one of my favourites in my collection. If you are a fan of Fiona Apple, Tristan Prettyman or Michelle Branch then you will almost certainly like Anna.
on 28 March 2006
I first bought this CD in the U.S. after seeing the movie A Lot Like Love, which features the song "Breathe (2AM)". I could not stop listening to it and it stayed in my car for more than a month as I listened to it every day. Anna's voice is entrancing and her lyrics make the songs meaningful. She sings with true passion and you can feel it when you're listening. Although "Breathe (2AM)" was the first song that I heard, I actually like her up-tempo songs even more.
I'm sure that everyone has a different favorite because there is not one bad song on this CD! My favorite is "Consider This" because it has attitude. "I'll wait for the day when you find I'm too much for you, baby." " Don't bother wasting your time if you're trying to change me." It isn't just for girls, either! My fiance loves it too. You cannot argue with the fact that this girl has talent. Anna Nalick is here to stay. Can't wait for the next release!
on 27 January 2006
I saw this first as an Amazon recommendation. (Thanks, Amazon!)The cover was why I bought it. My partner and I were going through a bad patch, almost splitting up. The album arrived on my day off, and I had it on the CD player immediately. I was hooked. I had goosebumps. I called my partner. I brought the CD. We walked, and listened to the album on headphones. We cried. And were back together. The music saved us, because it made us realize what we meant to eachother at that moment. I leant to sing it within 24 hours, and I still play it today.
Anyway, enough about me. Down to the music....
Anna is a young Canadian, who (as always!) plays instruments and writes her own music and lyrics. The album has eleven tracks, and not one bad one. The stand-out songs are 1: 'Breathe (2am)' which she wrote at that time, when she couldn't sleep. An acoustic number, with reflective lyrics. Has you gripped from the first few bars. Track 3: 'Paper Bag', was the song that got me first. I listened to it on headphones for ages, absorbed by the lyrics and melodies. It's quite an upbeat song. 'Someday we'll all be older and I'll be so damn beautiful / So I hide my head here in this paper bag / Because if I can't see you then you can't see me' The other standout track is 7: 'In The Rough' Quite a dark track, and had me somewhat freaked out when I first heard it. 'I offer no sympathy for that / I hear it was you who died alone / I offer no sympathy for that / Better off I sparkle on my own' The chorus almost sounds like it has an orchestra playing in the background, but it's layered guitars. (Maybe a live version could do that, hint, hint!) This song ended up as a single in Canada, with a great video to boot. Another great track is 9: 'Bleed' Upbeat and almost vengeful. Good bass guitar line running throughout too. 'It takes all of my strength to be stable / so I force your insults under the table' , 'Cause I am not a force to be reckoned with / and you don't have a clue who you're messing with'
Overall, a wonderful, striking debut from a talented young girl. And pretty too. Buy it now. And love it forever.....
on 13 June 2011
I bought this CD after hearing Sara Ramirez sing 'Breathe' on 'Grey's Anatomy'and I wanted to track down the original. I love the melody and the lyrics of this song which is a really thoughtful reflection of life. I'd never heard of Anna Ramirez before and am really enjoying her style and the originality of her songs.