on 8 October 2007
I have 6 PCs one each running on 98 and 2000 and four on XP. In comparison, 98(rev B) is excellent and generally very stable but lacks some critical facilities e.g. the ability to view picture thumbnails. That said, the machine that it's on is in regular use as a word processor and does a grand job. 2000 is brilliant. Never falls over, has the ability to show thumbnails (albeit only one file at a time) and is not too hungry for resources. Let's pass over ME, that was pathetic and had more bugs than the natural history museum. The one machine that originally had ME was upgraded to XP (without any problems).

XP SP2 is, in my opinion, the Microsoft operating system most fit for purpose to date. This is written 6 months after the release of Vista! Why? Well, in my experience XP is stable and capable of running the vast majority of software without crashing. It's not perfect but it does 99% of everything most people will ever need.

Mac OS - great but you have to buy an expensive Mac to go with it, so limited range and a WHITE KEYBOARD would last about 30 seconds with me and it's £50 extra for a black one!. Linux - now getting worth a look but still doesn't support much of my legacy software and a touch geeky. Vista - don't get me started here, just read all the reviews with less than 3 stars.

The good points about XP: stable, runs almost everything, only one legacy program I have won't run with it but that's not a major issue. Decent networking, reasonable number of automated task wizards, lots of built in drivers, good support and now well sorted (post SP2). Clear and easy to use interface easily customised to suit most users. Can handle both business use and most media applications.

The bad points: You can argue security and I would agree, but a decent 3rd party firewall & virus checker should see you ok. Otherwise, not much to grump about. Downside is that it's limited to 2GB of RAM.

Oh, I've now also had to remove Vista from no less than 3 machines and install XP Pro at the owners' request. Does that tell you something?

My intention is to hang on to XP Pro as long as I can and hopefully skip the Vista bloatware until something better comes along.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2009
For me to rate a thief who stole my money you are having a laugh and for amazon probably not investigating this person is going to get away with my money so i am not given one star didnt get real support from Amazon over this issue. Anybody could set up an account as a dealer and steal anybody's money the way this person has done to me so im not being polite about what i have said and a revue is not being given
Mr J Forsyth
33 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2010
I ordered Windows XP service Pack 2 and received Windows XP Service pack 3 which is of no use as the software I need to install on it can only be installed on XP SP2.
on 20 May 2012
Very quick service, product received exactly as ordered along with full contact details (happily had no problems so did not have to follow up) Fully recommended as an excellent providerMicrosoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 OEM.
on 31 January 2013
Software arrived within 3 dfays of being ordered and worked perfectly well. Vendor is very good and would not hesitate to recommend him.
I must apologise for my delay in doing this review.
on 17 February 2012
Great product, does everything it is meant to do and does so reliably. I prefer this operating system to Windows 7.
on 26 May 2013
No Problems loading up and as worked well since I have had it. But now have moved on to other Windows softward
on 2 December 2014
Fine and in perfect condition
on 29 November 2014
it worked fine as it should
on 24 January 2016