on 21 January 2005
This is probably the best kitchen appliance I have ever bought. It is very easy to use and clean once you have finished. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow, the timings for the vegetables are exactly right, if you prefer your vegetables more cooked you just set extra time than the time stated in the book. I cooked all my vegetables for our Christmas lunch (for 11 people) in it and there was enough room. The best thing about the steamer is no more soggy vegetables and no more keep checking to see if they are cooked, once you set the time that is it until the timer buzzes. I would recommend it.
on 13 April 2005
I bought this steamer a year ago, to make baby food for my twin girls because of its vitamin retaining properties, and I can honestly say that it is the best kitchen appliance I have ever bought. Not only does it cook veg perfectly, it means that you can make a roast dinner and loads of different veg with out the mess on the hob, and you don't run out of gas burners. I now use it nearly every day and it's still going strong. It cooks chicken and fish in minutes and everything tastes better as the flavour is not lost in a pan of water. Not only did I save money on thousands of jars of baby food, my children reaped the benefits of fresh steamed food.
on 19 September 2005
Probably the best piece of kitchen equipment we ever bought! With four teenage kids and a healthy-eating lifestyle, our steamer is in almost daily use. Once you get the hang of timing everything to be ready at the same time, it cooks to perfection and retains all the taste. Not just veggies, you can steam meat, fish, even rice & eggs if you want (we don't, we stick to veg, fish & some meats such as gammon & pork loin.) And it saves having a dishwasher full of pans!
on 31 January 2006
I got this for christmas and have not stopped using it. A few mushy vegetables to start but only beacuse i was so surprised at how quickly it gets steaming! I`m confident at cooking loads of vegetables all together now and theres loads of room, it`s easy to store and easy to use - just turn the timer and it starts to steam in under a minute! Much quicker and healthier than boiling on the hob. A fantastic gift.
VINE VOICEon 3 January 2006
I bought the steamer with great expectations of being able to use it both for making breakfast (boiling eggs) and the Sunday meal (steamed veggies to go with roast or chops). It has been great on both counts.
The most disappointing design flaw is that the water container is integrated into the lower body of the steamer. This means it cannot be removed easily and one must drain water into a bowl to clear the water and then wipe the container dry with a paper towel or cloth. You cannot use soap on it as the container is integrated into a unit that contains electrical parts.
Readers who feel this is minor may want to read on.
The more frequent use in my house is the daily boiling of eggs in the morning. I am a very meticulously clean person so I normally clean it every day. However one morning, when I was very busy, I left the water in the container after boiling eggs and next morning, when I came to refill it, there was fungus in it, presumably caused by leaving warm water overnight in the container. I spent 20 minutes cleaning and disinfecting the container and now clean it right after use!
Since the accompanying paperwork doesn't say that the steamer needs daily cleaning, nor is there a hint that fungal growth can happen so fast, I think this is a significant design flaw. If the container was easily removable and could be drained directly, none of us will leave water in it and we would never have to face the potential problem of fungal growth.
Yuck as this may be, you may want to take it into account.
on 19 February 2006
Would highly recommend this steamer, superb value. Three tiers with large capacity very useful, also facility of machine retaining vegetable juices in separate compartment great idea if you are into juicing! Cannot rate highly enough, definitely recommend to anyone considering buying.
on 10 January 2006
I thought I should warn people about this machine, I recently purchased this machine from Currys & apart from the overall size (its big) it all worked great.
I was using bottled water so that I could reduce limescale buildup on the large element as the whole machine looked pretty well made & so I thought it would last longer, I was steaming some fish & the water run out without me knowing, I was in the kitchen at the time & so I switched off the machine & as it happened the fish was done.
The next day I went to use the steamer, pressed the "Vitamin+" button but nothing was happening, the steamer wasnt getting hot, I then realised that it may have been because it ran dry, but it was only for a minute or so, I phoned Tefal & asked them if this model had a "Thermal Cutout" they replied that it does NOT have this, but they were thinking about adding this in the future sometime.
SO... all in all, I think this is a great idea, but the design is very bad, I mean even a kettle has a thermal cutout, infact I cant think of anything that doesnt!
I now own a "Cookworks" steamer which I got for £9.70 at Argos, & apart from taking about 3mins to get steaming, it works great, & guess what? it has a thermal cutout, even at that price!
Come on Tefal, this really is a major flaw! I will never buy anything Tefal again, I owned a Tefal toaster a while back, it lasted 4 days before it went wrong, & I have a Tefal Saucepan, what could possible be wrong with that you may ask? well the lid has a clever little steam release function, but again its build so badly that every now & then I go & pick it up & the knob falls off of the lid sending the lid falling on the floor.
on 21 January 2006
What a great piece of equipment! The capacity is huge but the storage space needed is small in comparison. You have not tasted food until you have it steamed & this model has done it consistently well for me in the last 18 months. The vitamin plus element means the water is boiled very quickly indeed, so cooking starts within seconds of setting the timer.
Follow instructions, put enough water in it, keep an eye on the progress & the steamer will not run dry (common sense really). Clean it after use & no 'fungus' will arise, just like you would with pots & pans (common sense really).
This is the best pice of kit I have in my kitchen, the only thing that equals it is my Matstone juicer.
Go on, start your new year by eating real food, really cooked well. Ditch the processed stuff that slowly kills you & costs the NHS a fortune. Stop being a Victim, be a 'Steamer'!!!
on 22 January 2006
Bought for me by my husband one of his better gifts i might add
this product has loads of room and would be able to cater for the largest of families, extremely quick if youre in a hurry excellent value for money
on 23 November 2006
I had a kenwood that gave up so bought this tefal. Unless you constantly push the vitamin button we have found that carrots etc take 40 mins to cook properly. With the vit button pressed (many times) that can be reduced to 20 - 25 mins. Also no keep warm feature (unlike the kenwood) which I really miss as sometimes you want to keep warm rather than cook...?

Also if just using one layer the lid doesn't fit properly on level 1 and if you use level 3 it covers up the holes in which to put the water.

Also non digital display...

Guess I miss my old steamer.