on 14 April 2005
I couldn't get into this workout for a while, as the moves are pretty advanced and go pretty fast but after doing it a few times you really get into it. The moves are broken down slowly but not too slowly that you get sick of it when you've got the hang of it, and the fact it is a challenge has kept me interested longer than other workouts.
This is definately a good workout to tone your muscles, and it's fast paced so you get a good workout too.
The dance moves are fun and well choreographed. I'd definately reccommend this DVD, it's taken me a while to get to like it but now I think it's fab!
on 19 January 2005
This is a brilliant dance workout with seriously groovy routines that are very clearly demonstrated and then wrapped together at pace to combine into some rocking routines, with good tunes to boot. The great thing with this workout is that Andy explains the moves very clearly then uses them together immediately. You can review the demos at will so you needn't be afraid of getting lost and after you've done the workout a few times you can go back again and again to enjoy the numbers knowing you won't get held up going over stuff you've already got down pat. And boy, when you've got these moves down with the precision of the dancers on the dvd you're gonna be the envy of the tribe on the dance floor. For the first time in my life I wish I lived in Watford so I could go to idance studios to join Instone's classes there. The best of the dance workouts I've tried... challenging, fun and compelling.
on 15 January 2005
When I first saw how young the instructor looked I didn't hold out much hope for this DVD, but it turned out to be amazing. There's no messing, you're straight in with real dance moves right from the start and I think the instructor is pretty good. However, I think you'd get the most out of this if you have a degree of coordination because the moves are not what I would call basic (but they are definitely modern and funky).
Each step is broken down relatively slowly but is only demonstrated a couple of times before you go full speed. Although this might make the moves a little harder to pick up initially I actually prefer this approach because once I've learnt the moves I don't want to waste time doing things at half speed, I just want to get on with it.
Doing this DVD will make you feel like you're on MTV. Definitely one of the best dance workouts I've seen.
on 8 May 2010
I own about eight different hip hop dance inspired workouts DVDs, and I have to say, this is one of my favourites. The dance moves are well taught, with a half time breakdown (I had no probs seeing what what's going on). I find the moves themselves are really cool - like something out of a music video. What really makes it fun though is Andy Instone - he's just really charismatic. He gets the energy up, and has a good sense of humour.

As I think other reviewers mentioned, the moves are kind of complex, a lot harder (and, in my opinion, interesting) than some other dance workouts (e.g. Urban Workout). One thing I noticed, though, was that the first few times I did the video, I didn't really get the heart rate up as I was just fumbling while trying to get the moves. But, after a few gos, I was definitely working up a sweat and getting a decent workout.

In terms of weaker points, the music is just all right - kind of a percussion mix with this occasional zombie-trance synthesizer run thrown in. The first routine ("Phat Moves Level 1") is a fair bit longer than the second routine (while the second routine actually cooler/more fun in my opinion). Also the performance section for Phat Moves Level 1 seems to go on for a while and starts to drag a bit (I think this is either due to the music mixing or just the fact that you do the routine four times).

Overall, I'd say this DVD, and other hip hop style workouts, are the way to go if you want a challenging and interesting/fun to get a workout. I used to do a lot of step or other floor aerobics, but I just found them way too boring after one of two goes. Phat Moves definitely keeps me motivated to keep doing it. The moves are complex enough that you can really do the DVD like 5 times + and still be picking up new stuff and having fun.

I definitely recommend this one, as well as Andy Instone's other dance DVDs, the "CDUK Dance Workout" and "Urban Dance Explosion". The CDUK Dance Workout is really similar to this one, only the music is more high energy and the routine is more fun/impressive to watch and do. Definitely look into that one if you find you like Phat Movies. I'd also recommend Rock Your Body by Jamie King on Amazon.com US, which is also a really awesome dance DVD.
on 10 December 2004
This is the best Workout DVD that i have seen in a long time. The choreography in this work out is excellent, as each move is broken down step by step which is very easy to follow. You learn some excellent which you can bust in the clubs and you'll become the envy of all your friends.
Once again this is by far the best workout dvd on the market. Just waiting for Phat Moves 2.
on 11 January 2005
If you love learning dance routines then you'll love this DVD. It has a warm up and level 1 dance routine and a level 2 dance routine and then a cool down. The dance steps are fun to learn and you'll be surpised how quickly you pick them up. This is a brilliant and fun way to workout. I can't wait to show off my new hip-hop moves on the dance floor!!!
on 15 January 2008
If you're already proficient on the floor and know how to shake then maybe this dvd is for you. Some of the moves are fresh and funky enough to make it a worthwhile investment.
However if you're a newbie, forget it and go grab another dvd, the breakdown is way too fast to pick up easily.
If you're into choreography and part of the Pineapple dance school of thought get the dvd, but if you're a freestyler you'll hate this production and grind your teeth when you see just how squeaky clean and pretentious this crew is lol!
on 11 December 2010
This is a workout video - rather than a techniques video. Very disappointed :( I don't need to do workout videos - I teach dance fitness all week!! If a workout is what you're after then groovy. It's NOT an instructional video though.
on 31 January 2005
This is THE DVD to purchase to tone up and enjoy a fun workout. Andrew is KING of the 'phat moves' and certainly knows his stuff! Keep it up Andrew!
on 28 March 2015
I bought this because I liked the idea of learning to dance while getting fit. I had never had a dance lesson or been to a workout class in my life before so had to rewind it a few times until I'd got the moves. I've now done it loads of times and never tire of it. I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant and am still enjoying the DVD, albeit with a couple of moves modified to accommodate my growing bump. Before I was pregnant I'd do the warm-up followed by the lessons and performances at level 1 and 2 then the cool down; now I've scaled it down a bit so just do up to level 1 then cool down, and it still gives me a good workout, working up a sweat and getting the feel-good endorphins going!