on 17 April 2010
I have owned all of the albums by Zeppelin and Purple for may years and have only recently bought all of the Black Sabbath albums. I do love most of the first 6 albums with Ozzy, but not because of Ozzy's singing but rather because of Tony Iommi's innovative and original guitar playing and sound. Therefore coming to Sabbath quite fresh at 41, I have no hesitation in saying that Ozzy is by far the worst of the holy trinity of British Heavy Metal singers with Plant and Gillan, not to mention Coverdale (and Phil Mogg of UFO) leaving him for dead. My favourite Sabbath album is Heaven and Hell in no small part due to Ronnie James Dio's impassioned vocals which are light years above Ozzy. This may be sacrilege to 50-something Sabbath fans but it's a cold fact. Ozzy's a great front man by all accounts but not in RJD's league as a singer. I also think Mob Rules is a grossly overlooked album-shoot me!.
8 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2010
My very first concert was Black Sabbath on the 1980 Heaven and Hell tour. I was deaf for about two days after, but that concert is one I will never forget, just brilliant.

Well Black Sabbath after Ozzy, was it possible?

The answer to that is yes. Personally I think that this is Black Sabbath's best album. I know many will not agree with me, but if you take the album as a whole and not just individual tracks, then I think it can lay claim to that title. What was lost to the band with the leaving of Ozzy was more than made up for by the addition of Ronnie James Dio, who for me lies just behind Brad Delp as the greatest rock singer ever.

The album itself is as good now to listen to as it was 30 years ago and I think ranks as one of the best Heavy Metal albums of all time. Pick of the tracks is difficult but I will go with the title track because of the thumping fast paced ending with some great guitar work from Tony Iommi.
4 people found this helpful
on 27 July 2016
Listening to it now, really like digital downloads and their immediacy. In the old days it was a trip to the shops to get a disk, then it was by snail mail as a CD or a trip to the shops. now you just think "I need some Sabbath" 2 minutes later you've paid for it and listening to it!

This is a particularly good Sabbath album!
on 13 August 2013
This is the album that really splits Sabbath fans - the Ozzy fans mostly hate it, the Ronnie James Dio fans love it. The first ever concert I went to was the Ozzy line up Sabbath, so it was with a bit of trepidation that I gave this album a shot. Shouldn't have worried to be honest.... the standard of vocalist in Dio went up more than a notch or two as did the playing of the band. Tony Iommi's soloing is just blisteringly hot and with Bill Ward and Geezer Butler on drums and bass backing him up, they create a solid bedrock.

Great album.
One person found this helpful
on 2 August 2014
The first album that Black Sabbath did without Ozzy Osbourne. It could have gone wrong and confined the metal legends to past glories but the addition of Ronnie James Dio was a masterstroke.

He spent the 70's creating hits with Rainbow and had a unique voice that translates amazingly to Sabbath's work.

Not given 5 stars because I feel that a few of the songs on here are below par and the title track Heaven and Hell is the only one that I personally love. Still a great album though.
on 14 August 2014
i found Dio a bit late in the game.
my bad.
i then had to buy all of the Sabbath dio albums.
none disappoint.
i include the Heaven and Hell cd the devil you know.
in fact the last effort is a massive force of dark metal.

Heaven and Hell
The title track is class.
and the album continues with classic after classic.
One person found this helpful
on 19 January 2013
Never been a massive fan of Black Sabbath as Ozzys singing wasn't always up to much. Loved to listen to Ronnie James Dio with Rainbow so decided to give this album a go. Fantastic. Ronnie's singing is perfect alongside Tony's wonderful guitar playing. And have to say I'm very impressed with bass playing by Geezer Butler. Some great songs and this album was a steal for £5.00.

Highly recommended.
7 people found this helpful
on 22 October 2016
Brilliant album ..when Ronnie James dio was in the band they were at their best. When dio left they were s*** as usual..
on 22 December 2014
This is my favourite Black Sabbath CD. Dio's voice is awesome, and matched with the guitars and drums of Sabbath makes for an absolute classic. Each song is different, ranging from melodic to hard rock.
on 10 May 2015
I've told you once, this rocks. End of.
2 people found this helpful