on 12 April 2017
Superb drama, one of the best I have ever watched and in such an interesting format. All the characters are loosely connected, but each episode concentrates on just one character and their drama. Then the next episode it is about someone else but the person the drama was about in the first episode assumes a background role but it's good because you know all about them. Very clever idea and it has been employed a few times in dramas since.
on 22 July 2014
This series is brilliant.....There is a downside.....It is compelling viewing, then, it comes to a full stop. So far, series one is the only series put out on DVD. It is time we had the rest of these stories on DVD.........get them transferred, it is such a good series I'm sure you'll make a vast profit. I'm 'champing at the bit', waiting, waiting and still waiting for their arrival. Don't leave it too long, 'I'm pushing on a bit'..........do me a favour, please! Before it's too late, bring them out on DVD.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 July 2013
It's about people working in a clothing factory in Manchester, (no not underworld in Coronation st) each episode is about a different person working there but still involves people from the previous episodes and involves their lives in and outside work, their friendships, their rows, the good & bad side of people.
After watching many episodes we thought that we had seen them all but when it was on again we realised we had only watched from episode 1 series 3 so had missed series 1 & 2, this DVD is series 1 but we are unable to obtain series 2.
on 15 September 2014

Absolutely fantastic series with the most amazing acting all round. What a cast list!!

Watched an episode each night - and sometimes two as it was difficult to leave.

Have now bought the next two series and look forward to watching during those cold, dark, dreary winter evenings.

on 9 August 2017
watchable but I seem to prefer more character continuity in a series.
on 30 July 2013
I really loved this classic. Bought it as a present and only wish I could purchase series 2 and 3. Apparently because of disagreements with the music rights they cannot be released. How childish of the makers of clocking off as the dvds would sell very well.
on 30 July 2010
Highly recommend this brilliant BBC series - each episode is a little gem in it's own right. All the cast are great, but look out particularly for the lovely Philip Glenister (now known forever as Gene Hunt) as Mack, stressed-out factory owner, and angst-ridden husband ...
5 people found this helpful
on 10 November 2012
I watched this when it was on originally, but had forgotten how strong the characterisation was. The striking thing is how many of the actors/actresses have been in major shows since. Whoever did the casting must have been someone with a good eye. The episodes are each based on a character or pair of characters linked to Mackintosh Textiles, a fictional Northern workplace full of banter and conflicts. Having whizzed through series one, I logged on ready to buy series two, but alas it's not out yet. Pity.
on 1 March 2017