Customer reviews

Dinnerladies - The Complete First Series [DVD] [1998]
Format: DVD|Change

on 30 September 2017
This collection has been my laugh machine since it arrived. It is perfect and I love it.
on 1 May 2017
very good dvd with the late victoria wood
on 5 June 2017
Haven't laughed so much for ages.
on 5 October 2009
Brilliant dialogue, superb acting throughout, hilarious situations - I would like to give it an extra star if there was space for one. The stories and individuals have stayed with me like best friends and when they fade from the memory I just watch it again... and again.
on 2 January 2005
This is one of my favourite shows ever and has been a long time coming to DVD.
Full of memorable one-liners that will have you grinning from ear to ear.
Julie Walters is fantastic as Petula coming up with such wonders as " He played my body like a pin ball machine, I lit up, Payed out and no tilting!"
Victoria Wood at her finest. Buy yours today.
VINE VOICEon 14 March 2008
this is a brilliant laughter filled series but i recommend you buy the box set of series one and two for the full experience!and you get both for the same price!

a comedy classic!

see my review of the complete collection!
on 30 September 2010
Really amusing series but too bad the subtitles are missing, and most of the jokes are impossible to understand for people who are not accustomed with the very fast talking of Virginia Wood.
on 15 October 2015
Victoria Wood always comes up with the goods. I was interested to hear her say, however, that she herself was disappointed in the way the BBC produced these series; apparently she had in mind something like ER, with sets crowded with extras and minor characters and something going on the whole time; the BBC came up with a creepily permanently empty works canteen, one wondered what all the dinnerladies were working for. Nevertheless the one-liners are memorable and we have some lovely characters from the Wood unofficial repertory company, especially the inappropriately-named Twinkle!

Old-fashioned? Yes. Ordinary, middle-of-the-road, very British comedy, no foul language, very little innuendo. A really pleasant watch.
on 29 January 2006
Funny, Poignant and a superb cast - written by Vicoria Wood - what else do you need to know??
One of the best comedies ever - IMHO.
on 1 March 2014
We have watched this DVD frequently and still enjoy seeing it as every time we re-play it. It is such fast comedy that you
are unable to appreciate every funny line so each time we see it we hear or see something else that we missed before!