on 29 December 2004
Always always very nervous of reunions, excuses to wallow in sentimentalily, a quick buck, bursts of egos etc!
What a relief, then to discover a record of four of Irelands greatest musicians playing with care, understanding, incredible vituosity and passion. This was recorded during a re-union tour in 2004 and brings together the original Planxty line-up for first time in decades. The band consists of Donal Lunny, Andy Irvine, Liam O'Flynn and Christy Moore - all legends of celtic music; playing songs/tunes from the bands and the individuals long catalogues and having a good blether!
The sound quality is uniformly excellent and despite the format of four musicians sitting to play isnt the most visual gripping the filming allows anybody with an interest in playing to appreciate the skill and interplay between the band. The DVD includes extra tracks, interviews and an excellent documentary
Recommended to any old folkie wanting to relive the past, anybody with a passion for real music, an excellent introduction to the 70s folk revival to anyone new to celtic music; infact highly recommended to everyone!!!
on 12 February 2005
Seeing as im only 21 i wasnt around when Planxty were in theyre prime all those years ago. I recently went to see the live in London with my dad and thought they were absolutely brilliant, and this DVD is brilliant too!
Its a whole live set from this hugely talented band that was recorded as one of theyre reunion shows in Dublin last year. It has all the Planxty classics that you'd want to hear plus a few nice added tracks that i'd not heard before.
The DVD extras are well worth a look too, with extended interviews with the four band members and a nice documentary about the band reforming.
Overall this is a grand disc to buy if your a fan of Planxty and im sure you wont be dissapointed. When you hear certain bands for the first time, certain bands touch your heart and take you back to your roots..and this band is one of them. Very special indeed. Check this out and re-live the live shows.
on 25 September 2007
Just got this from an amazon marketplace merchant and viewed it for the first time. I've listened to Planxty for years. I bought this rather than the CD as other reviews commented on how nice it is to see the band playing. I couldn't agree more. The music is, as ever, spine-tingling especially Liam O'Flynn on the pipes. For any Irish person, there's some almost primal connection to the music but I suspect any true music fan will adore this concert.
It adds enormously to one's enjoyment watching them in action - the magical interplay between Donal Lunny and Andy Irvine, Christy pouring sweat and doing his thing. And when O'Flynn takes over on the pipes, eyes shut, my hair just stands on end every time. If you passed one of these guys in the street you'd never think there was anything remotely special about them but my god you'd be wrong. Oh to be able to play any instrument as well as these guys!
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2005
Saw them live at the Barbican - they were brilliant - the audience were itching to join it - but soaked up every note in awed silence. The DVD captures it all. The energy, precision and pace were all incredible. Enjoy
on 4 January 2012
Prior to buying this DVD I'd only ever heard Planxty on CD and was looking for something to get my Dad for Christmas. With his Irish roots and love of music I was sure he'd like this, then I read the reviews and decided to get a second copy for ourselves. I'm so pleased I did. My bagpipe playing partner and I sat glued to it twice through on the trot. Anyone who thinks that Liam O'Flynn is lacking in personality is a sad person indeed - the intensity with which he is absorbed by the music he plays, in fact how this is true for all four of them, is something I've seen very few times. It's like they're all taken over by it - that the music is way bigger than them. Very stirring to hear songs being kept alive which are, in some cases, 300 years old. Maybe people are today so used to being smacked in the face with trash by the media and entertainment business they can't appreciate the artistry musicians like these guys display. Buy It!
on 25 January 2008
I already had the CD of the concert but with the DVD you get more of the atmosphere, including introductions to the songs and some of the banter between the band. You also get a few extra tracks, including the outstanding Christy Moore numbers The Cliffs of Dooneen and Only Our Rivers Run Free. On top of that you get interviews with all four band members. Well worth anyone's money.
on 25 May 2010
I first saw Planxty in Manchester in the early 70's and was completely blown away by their music. It was the original band at that time and I had never heard anything quite so good. Already a big fan of The Dubliners, The Clancys et al., I went to the concert expecting a treat and wasn't disappointed. It was with great dismay that I heard of the band's break up so you can imagine my joy on hearing about the reunion tour. I immediately bought the CD of the 'Live at Vicar St. 2004 gig. Sadly the cd contained only the main part of the concert but not the encore so imagine my delight on finding this DVD containing the whole performance. The only fly in the ointment so to speak is that since I now live in Poland (an EU member state), the only way I could buy this treasure was to have it sent to my son's address and then re-packed by him and sent to me here. I wonder how many other potential buyers have had the same problem. Perhaps I should move to Hong Kong or the Republic of Korea - deliveries are made to those countries. Stll, I may have had problems but in the end it was worth it to enjoy the sounds (and sight)of these pastmasters of their art. Long may they continue.
on 29 March 2009
recorded over 5 gigs in a week, i was lucky enough to be at the second one. all i can say is i'm on amazon buying this now because my own copy is broken from over use over a few years, a brillant dvd, 4 of the most amazing musicians in great form, spine tingling, hair stands up, connects with the soul on so many levels.
on 25 March 2013
For anyone that was moved by Planxty's music since their first album "Planxty" is a delight to see them performing together again. As for the DVD itself, sound is good, image could be a better and the songs selection could have been a bit better as well. I missed some of their great songs, and I'm sure they played it in that concert but were left out of this DVD. Pity.
on 20 January 2013
I took the chance of purchasing a DVD that might not play on my North American machine (Panasonic, if it matters). It plays just fine. Someone had loaned me their copy of this a few years back and there was no doubt I had to own this piece of emerald perfection, of masterclass musicianship and, to be sure, immense nostalgic moment and auspicion. (That latter might be a coinage.) After so many years apart, of Planxty being storied history, there reunion in this strongest lineup could not be merely the same as if they were still a working band ... no, this is not the Seventies and these fellows are no longer young guys newly reinventing, along with their equally brilliant fellow band, Bothy Band (and others), the traditional Eire repertoire. The fine musicians of Planxty are ageing. But the music is played with as much verve and faithfulness as ever it was by this band--perhaps more so, because you can watch the mutual respect on their contented and wondering faces as each takes his turn in the spotlight. Perhaps the real diamond of the show is the shockingly impressive piping tribute, to a friend who had died 2 days previously, by the amazing Liam O'Flynn: "The Dark Slender Boy." Clearly the other band members are wowed by their comrade's brilliance, and he in turn gives his fellows their own dues as each leads or embellishes definitively his own songs. Christy Moore is the ultimate storyteller (and joke-cracker) and crowd favourite; Donal Lunny, whom I once heard first-hand at the Winnipeg Folk Festival, is the band's backbone bouzouki and occasional bodhran player, but who knew he could harmonise so well ... as does Andy as well on Good Ship Kangaroo; and it's nothing short of amazing to watch Irvine's fingers constantly in motion on his own bouzouki/mandola/mandolin, even as he takes the high lead vocals (As He Roved Out) or else harmonises. Every note and expression and nuance is perfect. Did I mention Liam O'Flynn's tin-whistle playing is as pitch-perfect as his pipes?

Buy this...when I did, I had trouble locating a copy and thought I had waited too long. By from a local store, or buy from the big guys, but buy it! (Will they let this publish?)