Customer reviews

Wintersun
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 July 2014
What can I say about this album? For a long time I left Wintersun alone, thinking I wouldn't like them from the description of them on various sites (Wikipedia being prominent in said sites), until I discovered possibly my favourite album of all time, 'Time I,' which I couldn't stop listening to for weeks. I continued to leave this album alone for some unknown reason, until one bored day I eventually played it on Spotify. Truly a masterpiece; not on the scale of 'Time I,' but a masterpiece none the less. Great variety of tracks, each with great power and truly meaningful lyrics, many concerning Jari Mäenpää's supposedly impending death (it is my understanding he has tuberculosis and it was believed terminal for a long time). From the under-3 minute shredder 'Beyond the Dark Sun,' the most insane solo I have ever heard on 'Winter Madness,' to the anger of 'Battle Against Time,' the calm and soothing nature of 'Death and the Healing' and the cheerful and powerful 'Starchild,' every track on this album is exceptional, showing the incredible talent of Mäenpää. If you are not a big fan of harsh vocals, you may prefer 'Time I' as an introduction to Wintersun, but I once thought the same and have had my view on harsh vocals completely changed. BUY THIS ALBUM! 5/5, best tracks 'Beyond the Dark Sun' and 'Battle Against Time.'
on 30 August 2007
Having read the other reviews of this CD, I have to agree 100%. The only difference being that I am in my late 30s and have listened to metal for 30 years. From Judas Priest in the 70s, via Metallica etc to today's modern spread, this album is simply the best. It even knocks Metallica's Ride The Lightening into the shade (an album which has similarities). Track 6, "Starchild", is a piece of music which should have changed the world. It combines power with beauty and subtle folk interludes with a hum along tune you cannot ignore.

It is the album that we should all give to people who dismiss metal music as noise. This is an expertly created symphony of modern music. Listen loud in a darkened room and try not to play air guitar/drums and synth. I dare you!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2013
I give it 5/5 because for me this album came as epiphany. It seems conceptual but it is not even or coherent as one might expect from the thematic approach Jari Maenpaa had in mind. It is no wonder that he calls his music "space" metal - it is epic and melodic or fast and straight-to-the-point, but can be also lyrical in another place. That is why I think it is a kind of a voyage. Recommend it to all metal fans. It hardly gets boring after many times of playing due to its variety. If still not sure if buy it, then I recommend listening first to such songs as: "Battle Against Time", "Beautiful Death" or one of the most beautiful riffs from "Death and the Healing", then I am sure you would love to have it on your shelf.
on 11 January 2014
Great album. Just a word of warning to buyers; half the CDs I buy of amazon have broken cases and sometimes this leads to scratching of the CD. The case was an absolute wreck and the CD holding mechanism was destroyed, plastic shards went all over the floor when I opened the case and the CD was scratched from the sharp bits inside the case. I am surprised the CD actually worked. I don't know if I'm just unlucky but don't buy a CD if you are not prepared to order a replacement if the first one is broken
on 6 December 2010
Well isn't this a TREAT! So there's only 8 songs, but it's quality which matters, not quantity. Quality is delieved in spades here. This contains everything there is to hold in metal music and some.
Conclusion: Opeth turned power metal with a sprinkling of early Bodom.
on 17 March 2014
What can I say, it arrived earlier than the Time it said and I haven't stopped listening to it since. Great for any type of listening, but you need a strong neck and a good excuse for the tears of joy running down your face
on 13 December 2009
this album has to be one of my favourite albums and i can say that theres not one track which i don't like there all amazing very melodic and catchy songs.
on 16 April 2015
Great CD worth purchasing if you're a fan of Folk Metal :3
on 10 July 2014
Insane, the might Wintersun never fails to impress
on 3 January 2016