Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 15 October 2009
I have had this recording for sometime and find that there has been several places where I find that, to my astonishment, to be no revieews. I came upon this in a second hand record(cd) shop and upon arriving back home, found that there were no write ups here of this recording yet. The sound quality is what we would come to expect from Archiv's top drawer. Really good sound, so clear and focused.

Mr McCreesh is up to his usual high standards here. This is why I am really surprised about no write-ups on amazon. Besides the Biber contributions, there are others by such compsoers as Lassus, Schmelzer Muffat, who opens the recording with a lovely ciacona. We then are treated to a marvellous performance of Biber's Mass in B, which has, from my perspective, has some rather good interpolations from other composers, such as Lassus, Scmelzer, Meggerie and the greatest of them all anon!! If you have not this recording of Biber or want to get to know this composer's music, then I can wholeheartedlky reccomend this recording. You won't be disappointed by these performances of Biber's mass in B or his Requiem in F minor. Great rewards are here to be heard!!
on 15 March 2012
I was searching for a good recording of some of Biber's more famous compositions and was not disappointed. The sound quality is extremely clear and the music itself very beautiful.

Biber was born around 40 years before J.S. Bach and died when Bach was 19. His music is thoroughly Baroque with the commensurate level of polyphony and contrapunctal vocal harmony. If you enjoy this kind of music, then you won't be disappointed by this recording.

An unexpected bonus in this CD is the inclusion of several of the works composed by Biber's contempories and countrymen. Most of these composers were unknown to me before now, but the music fits in neatly with the rest of the program.

I would recommend this disc if you are interested in looking into other Baroque composers outside of Messrs Bach, Handel and Vivaldi. If you want more of Biber's works, I would couple this recording with a good copy of the famous Mystery Sonatas.
on 11 February 2014
This is an excellent recording with rich vocal sounds and a superb orchestra under Paul McCreesh. Definitely recommend it to early music lovers.