Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 April 2017
Having read the reviews, I thought I'd found someone new to add to my jazz diva collection, but having bought this cd purely on the strength of the reviews , I was very disappointed indeed . I was looking for a modern jazz vocalist in the mold of Ella Fitzgerald or Kay Star, but unfortunately, Ms. Silvas sounds just like any number of today's pop singers, rather bland and with no real vocal range. Not my cup of tea at all.
on 7 June 2017
Excellent
on 11 August 2005
As a lover of guitar-based rock , I`m usually unmoved by the regular stream of over-hyped " talent" that passes for pop these days.Thank goodness, then , for Lucie Silvas . I was stunned by her performance of What You`re Made Of on BBCs Top of the Pops last year, and all it took was one hearing of the follow up single ( The optimistic Breathe In ) to confirm that we had a genuine new talent on our hands. A purchase was overdue ....
Now, many months on, the album, Breathe In , is still almost a permanent resident on my CD player ( and I normally tire quickly of music )It`s an album you can live with, full of songs which are at once personal yet easy to indentify with. Each song is a gem, every vocal performance is packed with drama and emotion , and yet there is enough subtlety to keep you coming back for more .The controlled power in the vocals is frequently spine-tingling.
And, to add to Lucie Silvas`s credibilty, not only can she cut it in the studio, but she is an awesome live performer too.
If you like what you`ve heard so far, you owe yourself a copy of this album .
on 11 October 2004
Finally an escape from the Hip Hop scene that seems to have taken control over the music charts all over the world. Lucie's breathtakingly beautiful piano melody's and her touching lyrics shine on her debut album. Standout tracks include the debut single "What You're Made Of", the more uptempo "Dont Look Back", title track "Breathe In", the haunting ballad "Nothing Else Matters" and of coutse the big standout track "The Game Is Won". From start to finish Lucie tell's tales of love and heartbreak. Definently worth buying!
on 2 November 2004
When I first heard lead single ' What You're Made Of' I must admit, I immediately thought 'boring'! How wrong I was. After another few listens I was hooked. The album 'Breathe In' is truly breathtaking, if you liked 'What You're Made Of', you'll love this. Standout tracks include: The truly haunting yet simple 'Forget Me Not', the sunny 'Breathe In', the chilling 'Nothing Else Matters' and of course beautiful first single 'What You're Made Of'. Buy this album if you appreciate lovingly produced music, spine chilling arrangements and truly classic pop songs.
on 10 April 2017
Excellent
on 22 March 2011
...this may sound the usual fan-cliché but...she's probably one of the most underrated singers in the world. And I don't say THE MOST ONE because I don't want to sound like an arrogant.

I found her around 2006 with "What You're Made Of". Loved her voice. "Forget Me Not"...I've listened and seen the video countless times. "No Defence"? Beautiful!
I was surprised I couldn't found any more fans of her music around me...but I thought that with time she would be known by many. It's 2011 and I'm one of the lucky fews who know her work. Good music is around...I'm tempted to criticize Justin Bieber and others of the same style...but I'm not like that...I think there's space for everyone nowadays and it's (literally) in your hands type some names and find amazing music. Music is not lost on the 60/70/80s like many claim. Music producers/marketeers priorities was the thing that suffer changes. If you lost some time and some cents (literally) buying this album you'll see music that moves you is still around!
on 21 April 2005
I really enjoyed this album, especially the fantastic 'Last Man Standing' and 'Seven Veils'. Her voice and style reminded me a little of Delta Goodrem's which is no bad thing, but I found that 'Nothing Else Matters' took a bit too long to get off the ground. However, this is a fantastic album, well worth buying and listening to over and over again! Lucie Sivas is very talented and she should have been 'discovered' well before now.
on 13 June 2005
Lucie Silvas first came to my attention on the Des & Mel show when she performed 'Breathe In' and I was impressed. I then heard 'What You're Made Of' on Radio 2 and I thought "I like this, shall I buy her album?". I bought it at the end of January and I can honestly say I made the right decision.
For me, there are no bad songs on the album, and Lucie's voice makes the album refreshing as well as relaxing to listen to. I say this because one minute she sings ballads which test her vocal abilities to full without going over the top (e.g. The Game Is Won) and the next, she's taking it easy & slowing down (e.g. No Defence). My favourites songs are 'The Game Is Won', 'Seven Veils', 'Last Man Standing' & 'Don't Look Back' and overall, I would say that this is the best album I have bought for a long time. I must also credit Lucie for the fact she writes and performs her own material. Anyone who can do that deserves credit from me (more so if it is my type of music).
After buying the album, I then went to see Lucie and her band in Manchester on 28th April & they were superb. Lucie seems a very nice young lady who is down-to-earth, as are her band members.
If she keeps on producing music of this quality, I will be a fan of Lucie Silvas for a long time and I hope she will be in the business for a while. She is a real talent in my opinion.
on 7 November 2004
I remember Lucie Silvas from 2001 when she released her first song, It's Too Late, and I loved the song. Expecting an album which didn't arrive, I was happy to hear of her return and awaited the album's release with anticipation. And I was not disappointed. The songs are tasteful and dynamic, with Twisting The Chains, Last Man Standing and Nothing Else Matters standing out and constantly on repeat. Lucie is honest and that shows in the songs, with words that are touching, believable and shockingly relatable. I feel that What You're Made Of was written about me. A stunning album. Go and buy. Now.