on 15 June 2005
For designing and plotting it's great. It feels like it has been designed by a writer. I particularly like the ability to add icons to text that hot link - eg a note on a character name takes you to the character page.
But - occasionally it loses unsaved text as you move between tabs. Save often. And most annoyingly the time line function calendar isn't customisable, rendering it pretty much useless for fantasy and science fiction where calendars will have different structures.
Also there seems to be no way of giving feedback to the programmer or ask for support, just a link to the publishers who claim to have no contact with them. One can only assume they found it abandoned on their doorstep one day. Either that or they couldn't be arsed to help once they had my money.
If it combined its good features with the timeline/scene planning structure of Writer's Cafe and was more customisable it would be perfect.
Would-be writers should check out both but for £20-£30 you can't go wrong with either. I use both for different things.
12 people found this helpful
on 29 October 2013
I love this, from struggle to write my book, this really help getting all the mess in my head.
Now I can see clearly how the book I want to write will go.
on 30 November 2015
I tried to install on three different computers; failed three times. The product ended in the trash bin.
One person found this helpful
on 18 February 2017
excellant
on 17 November 2005
The only problem with this software is that it could be better. If GSP created some 'add-on' downloads for users it would be lovely. This is a fun bit of software to work with and more 'clean-cut' than a lot of writers' software out there. Let me put one thing straight to begin with - this software does not teach you to write; neither will it help you write your novel as far as the process of writing itself goes. What it does is help you organise.
I have three main issues with it. The Submission tracker is great but is linked to the story - it would have been brilliant if it also had the option just to work as a tracker independently so you didn't have to open the story to work with the tracker.
This software could seriously do with a Grammar checker. It has spelling and thesaurus and the readability check will give you a word count but usually the most basic word processor comes with some sort of grammar checker included now and considering the price you feel cheated that one isn't included. On a side note regarding the price, having used the professional version I cannot imagine what good the standard would be despite the cheaper £ tag.
You can write into it no problem and export into an rtf file that any other software can open. The trouble with this is that it uses plain punctuation eg: straight 'quotes'. This is all very well but most word processing software types with curly quotes and the option to use the better format of punctuation would be nice as most WP software doesn't give you the option to then change it unless you want to plough manually through the document. It also exports in what they call a submission layout. Though close, the layout isn't perfect and not exactly what every publisher wants. The really annoying thing about this though is if you've done a couple of returns to indicate a paragraph the software changes this into double line spacing as well so each paragraph is exported with GREAT gaps in between. For it to work correctly you have to get used to typing all the lines right under each other and relying on the software to convert it for you.
The 'help' is about as helpful as any software - in other words you learn how to use by fiddling about most of the time and by looking at the example. Still, it's pleasant to work with - but a heads up to the designers - some add-on's would be great!
44 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 16 February 2010
Good little piece of software. I used the starter kit, and got this one later on, and was impressed by the add-ons. It would be useful to have more add-ons to download, but as it stands, very good. I have been using this for a while and have discovered certain flaws in its structure, such as losing work when switching tabs. If you are going to switch tabs often, save often. Otherwise it works well for me.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 May 2010
Although this could be a useful tool it is certainly not user friendly. More importantly it WILL NOT WORK WITH VISTA. The publishers have produced a newer version that does work with Vista but when i contacted them to see if a patch was available I was told that I would have to buy the new version instead. I was offered a price reduction for the upgrade but to my mind this is totally unacceptable when I had already purchased the product (which is otherwise the same program with Vista compatibility added). No one should be expected to re-buy something in this way ESPECIALLY after having purchased what is marketed as the premium (and more expensive) version of the software. Even on XP I had frequent crashing and freezing. Regardless, Vidatech's Novel Writer is cheaper and better but with problems of its own (see my review)
3 people found this helpful
on 21 October 2010
NOT WHITESMOKE WHICH THINK PROS USE I RETURNED THIS AS I HAVE NOT GOT A PUBLISHING DEAL
on 7 November 2007
I had nothing but trouble and hassle with this program. It wouldn't save then saved additional programmes and left lots of icons on the desk top. It won't save the whole programme, standalone, so I was forced to save every few lines I wrote, then those lines disappeared plus many other issues to bothersome to note, i've had it with this piece of rubbish! even the huge, wide box hides a tiny, single CD that I guess is designed to make it look more expensive. SHOULD BE £5.99 - NOT £29.99 - RUBBISH!
6 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2005
This software is NOT for the writer who needs to be led by the nose through a formula for designing a piece of fiction; it won't provide you with a bunch of formulas or standard plots like so many of the other writer's software packages do. It's not intended to be a coach or trainer. This program is designed for the actual writing and for keeping all your notes, ideas, etc., in one place. This is a great convenience.
The outliner is very good both for checking sequence of events and chapters, as well as for navigation.
The links are very useful.
The interface is plain and pleasing without any flashiness. Programs like this don't need flash.
Programs like this also don't need all the bells and whistles of a "real" word processor, and this program doesn't have them. It's about writing, not playing with formatting toys and other fluff.
I've been using this software in various versions for about 2 years--it suits my way of working better than any other (and I've tried many). There are parts that I don't use, or don't use much, but that's standard with most software of any type--ignore the bits you don't need.
Over all, this is an excellent tool at a reasonable price.
28 people found this helpful