1,138
Size: Hybrid|Style Name: 1 Set|Change

on 7 June 2009
From .009 upwards, these fellas are light, easy to bend, work well with tremolos and sound great on any electric guitar.

For Stratocaster users, they've got the 'quack' sound that is so lusted after.

They're not the cheapest strings around, but they're hardly expensive, and decent (and new) strings do make such a difference to a guitar.

Ernie Ball have been making Slinky 9s since the Pleistocene era (well, for decades) and I wholeheartedly recommend them. And I haven't ever had them go astray in the post.
on 10 February 2009
The "Ernie Ball Power slinky 2220 electric guitar strings" are great for any guitarist. I tend to find that the power slinky strings excel in playing distorted rock or heavy metal (basically they are great for playing power chords).
on 27 April 2011
Ernie' Ball (born Sherwood Roland Ball) was a musician and guitar seller hailing from California. Although he passed away in 2004, Ball's musical accessories are still sold across the globe, and renowned not only for their quality, but also for their affordability. The Ernie Ball brand is perhaps most famous for its Super, Extra, and Regular Slinky Strings, and today i'm taking a look at the latter. Legend has it that Slinky strings were developed in the 60's when Mr Ball noticed that the budding rock n' roll musicians of the day were having difficulty playing the third string of their guitars. At the time, the third string was typically of a wound construction and therefore thicker than necessary. Basically, Ball revolutionised guitar strings by bringing a thinner gauge across the range, making them easier to bend and ultimately more compatible with the genre of music that the decade was most famous for.

Constructed from nickel-plated steel (which has become the norm for Rock music), the strings are of the following gauges - 010 (top E), .013 (A), .017 (D), .026 (G), .036 (B), and .046 (bottom E). The strings are thicker than both Extra and Super Slinky, but still remain easy to bend and a pleasure to play. I find that the strings are light to the touch and are better to strum with than Super Slinkys. Like the other Ernie Ball strings that I have used in the past, the strings return a bright and clear sound with a pleasant tone. In my personal experience i've found that Regular Slinky strings last a long time, with the top E string (notorious for snapping first), time and time again surprising me with its longevity. In terms of value for money, even though they are more expensive, Ernie Ball strings last a lot longer than the ultra cheap strings from third-party brands which you can pick up on eBay. I think the impressive lifespan of Regular Slinkys comes from the fact that they're made from high quality materials, or "the finest materials around", if you are to believe the blurb on the website.

Overall, I would highly recommend these excellent guitar strings as affordable and long lasting bits 'o metal. They're easy to play (whether you're a picker or a strummer), and will suit both novices and pros alike. You only need to look at the list of guitarists who have used these strings (Slash, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai to name but a few) to know that you're dealing with a quality product.
on 22 February 2010
I purchased these as a one off as getting back into playing guitar, and they perfict in every way. The sound is very clear crisp and when you need to bend hammer on and push out those riffs, they are the best I have used. Infact I dont know why I didnt use them before, they won't let you down.Beefy Slinky Electric Guitar Strings: Nickelwound 11's (.011 - .054)
on 5 March 2011
These Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings are the dogs b***ocks. I use Fender guitars, Strats to be exact.Heavier gauge strings can be like cables on a Strat, with the ensuing tendonitis problems.I used to use Regular Slinky strings which sound amazing.These Hybrid slinky strings combine the treble strings from the Super Slinky range and the round wound bass strings from the regular slinky range. This allows for the bottom end 'grunt' you will get from a heavier gauge string.Married to the Super slinky top strings which bend easier,and accentuate that characteristic 'slap'valued by many Strat fans. This creates a 'win,win' situation. Even the overall string tension is very even. I couldn't recommend them more.Ideal for blues or metal.
on 14 September 2009
These are my preference of strings that i tend to always go for, the are eleven guage meaning they are of medium weight,
so can be used for any style of playing, but i find them good for getting a nice thick tone when playing some heavy music,
been using them for 8 months of playing everyday basically ( i know i should change them) but they still sound good
and haven't broken so would definately recommend.
on 14 June 2014
I am a working musician and I use several electric guitars in different tunings. Owing to a busy work schedule my guitars take a lot of punishment. I get through a lot of strings.

When using guitars in regular EADGBE tuning, I found that strings would break frequently and sustain was limited when using lighter gauge sets. Consequently I have tried almost every recognised brand of strings to resolve these issues and Ernie Ball Hybrids have proved to be the best in terms of lifespan and sound quality.

The customized 9-46 gauges are perfect. The thicker strings have sustain and durability, whilst the lighter gauge strings allow for plenty of noodling and dexterity in lead playing - The unwound strings are light enough to ensure you don't get blisters. This happy combination means your guitar will be reliable whether you are playing violent punk or subtle jazz standards. The strings remain nice and bright for a good few weeks of average use.

When experimenting with other makes I was surprised to learn that higher priced strings often had shorter lifespans. Do not be fooled by celebrity endorsements or bold claims of scientific innovation. In standard tuning, these affordable Ernie Ball Hybrids function at a higher level to everything else I have tried.
on 23 July 2009
Fantastic strings, great value. The produce a well balanced and all around good clean sound on a consistent basis. No other strings come close for me, I would recommend these Ernie Balls every time - I have never had any problems with them.
on 21 February 2010
Having bought a Stratocaster a few months back, I'v been playing with Peavey 9's and was loving the sound and flexibility of the strings. However, once I broke a pair I thought I'd give Ernie Ball's a go. The result has been fantastic, almost as if im playing an entirely different strat. These strings give the perfect brightness and tone which works well with all effects and the flexibility is already improving my playing. A highly recommended product for any guitarist!Super Slinky Electric Guitar Strings: Nickelwound 9's (.009 - .042)
on 11 October 2009
Does what it says on the tin/packet really.

Gives some beef!

Great for people who detune alot like me and these still hold a great tone and resonance.

The G string is alot less "twangy" in comparison to thinner gauge strings aswell which makes a nice change.

Ernie ball can't really go wrong with strings and if your looking for beefy full tone, these are ideal!