Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(4 star). See all 274 reviews
on 23 August 2014
Hilarious. My gf told me about this series, I was reluctant at the beginning but I ended up watching the whole series in two evenings!
on 7 July 2004
I'd not seen this on TV and a work colleague prompted me to see it next time it was on. However, I spotted this box set so I took the plunge.
The box set is actually just a box for the two original DVDs which arrive in their own separate DVD cases!
As for the actual series - I liked it immensely. The crazy and sometimes touching antics of this group of oddballs hit just the right chord with me.
I'm not a sitcom lover really, although some (Scrubs for instance) are better than most. The Spaced team, however, kept my interest up mainly through the Sci-Fi aspect (of which I'm a fan). I always like those little references. If you're keen on that side of things then the DVD has a special feature just for you! I only discovered the feature on the second disk! Doh.
Basically, as well as the normal subtitles, there is a second subtitle selection that points out the pop-culture references as they appear on screen. It's a big help when you sometimes hear a reference and it leave you thinking 'There's a joke there somewhere but I've no idea where'.
I watched each episode again with the commentaries - all were worth listening to, more for the comedy than for the factual side of things I suppose.
All in all - I enjoyed both disks (I did think there'd be more easter eggs though) and will be tuning in for the third series (if or when it appears). Tivo is set ready!
on 18 June 2016
I know the content is great because I watched it when it came out, but I want to complain about the DVD protection. There is no longer any justification for copy-protecting DVDs, since the law in the UK now allows copies to be made for personal use. All I do with my DVDs is copy them to a hard drive so that I can stream them to my TV: there's nothing illegal about that, and it's for convenience only. And yet, because of the past actions of criminals, I am now backed into a corner, scrabbling around for software that can rip the latest security encryption so that I can actually watch my moves as I want to. The BFI also have titles out that my software cannot copy, and I have made a similar complaint to them.

I hate streaming services, and I don't see why I should use them when I have a perfectly good collection of DVDs that I want to watch. Why am I not allowed to do this my way? I've paid money for every single film in my collection. It's unfair, and it's about time someone pointed it out. I know the law does not require content publishers to remove DRM measures, but in my opinion they should remove them as a courtesy to paying customers. The stupid irony about this (and this has applied ever since copying began) is that actual criminals have ways to copy the material anyway: these people are laughing all the way to the bank, while we poor honest consumers are penalised for their actions.

If I'm lucky, I'll find a way to copy the discs, but otherwise, I will literally have to get my DVD player out of the *cupboard* and plug it in whenever I want to watch this title. That's LUDICROUS.
on 25 November 2011
really funny, and a piece of pure 90s TV. Simon and Nick will one day be seen as the saviours of the British sci-fi sitcom!
on 20 November 2012
Why buy this? Spaced is the forerunner to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" the humour is along the same lines (less blood and less cornetto's though).
The series is funny and enjoyable - but all over too quickly. I would recommend to people who want a relaxed series that will raise a lot of smiles (and that dont mind the swearing).
on 14 November 2010
Brilliant series which I will watch and watch again, I'm sure, just to pick out the many film references as well as the lol comedy.
on 3 January 2012
Daisy Steiner (Jessica Stevenson) and Tim Bisley (Simon Pegg) pose as a "professional couple" in order to rent a flat in suburban London.

While the writing partnership of Pegg and Stevenson leaves an indelible mark on the series, Spaced also forms the genesis of the unholy alliance between Pegg, Nick Frost, Edgar Wright and Nira Park that subsequently gave us Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead and it is fascinating to see the origins of Wright's distinctive directorial style. On the surface, Spaced is a fairly conventional sit-com following the relationships between Tim and Daisy and their friends and acquaintances and follows the format of such offerings as Friendsor Frasier. Barely beneath the surface, however, is a strong surreal undercurrent which allows the series to explore and parody a host of pop-culture memes, to play fast and loose with the character traits of the protagonists and to stretch the bounds of reality.

Some of these pop-culture refs are explicitly presented and Ep 2.3 includes a glorious homage to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (and also has a take on Fight Club). Many, however, are either less overt and/or more "poppy" so unless you are watching carefully or if you know nothing of the Phantom Menace/Jar-Jar schism much will pass you by. While this gives the series some considerable rewatch potential, it also closes some of the comedy off from less culturally aware viewers and dates the series somewhat.

The performances are hugely enjoyable: the "will they won't they?" relationship between Pegg and Stevenson is obviously grounded in a close off-screen friendship and drives the plot. Nick Frost is a little over the top as a gun-mad army-barmy type (chucked out of the TA's after he stole a tank and tried to invade Paris), but considering that he took the role with no acting experience and solely on the basis of his friendship with Frost, I suppose he can be forgiven. Mark Heap is, as ever, truly excellent as a struggling avant garde artist and Deakin does the permantly wine-soaked landlady Marsha to perfection. The series is also supported by several not-quite-cameos from such comedy luminares as Peter Seraphinowicz, Bill Bailey, Reece Shearsmith, Kevin Eldon and the like.

This set consists of three wellpacked discs, the first two of which comprise the 14 episodes (two series) and includes an extensive set of out-takes, unused scenes, commentaries, character & cast bios and the like. The third disc is primarily taken up with a two hour documentary on the series so there's plenty to look at.

Overall, Spaced is an interesting and important episode in the history of the Britcom - typical Channel 4 stuff - eclectic, superior, quirky and (most importantly) funny. If it has any faults it is perhaps that it is just a little bit elitist - you really have to be in on the joke to fully appreciate the content - but this shouldn't put you off. Try it - you'll like it

Tim: So what happened last night then?
Daisy: Well we went to see an interesting piece of contemporary theatre, drank an enormous amount of free wine, ate our body-weight in Twiglets and you punched an artist in the face.
Tim: $h!t! I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets
Daisy: Why not?
Tim: They make me violent!
on 15 August 2013
The two series were great - and obviously the main reason why I bought the DVDs. But having paid a bit extra for this collectors edition, it would have been nice to get all of the extras promised on the blurb ... the homage-o-meter is missing from both discs, so only 4 stars instead of 5.
on 16 July 2015
Watched all 14 episodes and they were just great. Can't wait to watch the extra materials later on.

I give 4 stars instead of 5 purely because the English subtitles did not display probably in wide screen TV (but no problem if you watch the series in your computers).
on 21 January 2013
Very nice show, filled with pop culture references (check the hommage-o-meter subtitles!)
Maybe not to everyone's taste, very British...
:-)