Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 January 2005
...if you're a John Martyn fan. This is how a remastered album should be done. The original album on one disc and a second disc of out takes and five live tracks from the period. As good as the outakes are, the best part of disc 2 is the live tracks from a Regents Park in 1978. It's a shame we couldn't hsve the whole concert the music and sound quality is just fabulous. I wish I'd been there!
Have I convinced you yet? The original album still sounds as good as it ever did. Martyn cowrote one of the songs with Lee Perry and the reggae influence permeates the whole album while further expermentation of electronic effects is put to good use especially on the final track 'Small Hours'.
Also here one of John's greatest love songs, Couldn't Love You More.
Best played after midnight before or after listening to Martyn's Solid Air, another magnificent remaster.
I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see remastered versions of Bless The Weather, Inside Out and Sunday's Child.
on 7 November 2004
After owning the vinyl edition since it was released, to hear the quality of this remaster made my jaw drop. John says in the liner notes ( twelve pages with pictures and lyrics) that they "were all firmly out of it" when Small Hours was recorded across the lake at 3a.m. You better beleive it. This compilation is awesome, on disc 2 you get five live solo tracks, plus nine out takes from the studio. Do we need four versions of Dealer...? YES, we do when they're all this good! All in all, a brilliant re-issue of a fantastic, groundbreaking album.
on 1 October 2008
All the recent Martyn remasters have come up a treat. It's amazing how much care was put into those albums - says so much about Island, and its quality control in the 70's.
If you only have 3 of his albums (you need more than one to get the idea of the man's talent), I'd suggest this one, Solid Air and Grace & Danger.
One minor gripe - I'm almost positive that the correct version of Dealer (as it appeared on the original vinyl) is version #2 on cd2 - the intro on the version that appears on cd1 is way too short.
on 2 October 2013
I've noticed another review of this deluxe version of John Martyn's One World stating the version of Dealer is not the original album version. I was listening to the album track One World on the new box set and the intro was longer and John also sings during the intro. This is clearly missing from the deluxe version. The intro on the deluxe version is 10 secs shorter than the box set version and there's no singing from John until the actual verse starts. I've also played the original vinyl and it's the same as the box set. This means at least two tracks are not as they were originally. Big Muff also looks like its 10 seconds shorter on the deluxe version compared to the original album running time. Not checked that out yet. Pretty poor that it's not explained.
The album is a 5 star classic even in this version but this is not the original version. Odd decision. It's packaged very well and extras are worth having.
on 28 June 2016
C.D 1 is Not only re-mastered it is remixed. How come all you J.M fans giving it 5 stars haven't mentioned this. Anyone with ears and the original vinyl version could tell you so! Having said that It's not bad, just different.
on 10 July 2010
Listening to this album makes me really sad at the state he got into, drunk and crippled. Because the original cuts on this CD are truly superb. Amazing talent.

Great atmos, brilliant compositions and a very fine mix of acoustic and electric instruments. Martyn was an underrated electric guitar player actually; this is the album where he shows how good he was.

Big Muff is pure class - you can tell he was hanging out with Lee Perry (good for creativity if not for longevity).

But .... A Certain Surprise - is this the best song written by a British singer songwriter, ever? It's a classic. People should be doing covers of this brilliant song hundreds of years from now.
Arguably,the best, of an already incredible body of work, from the wild man with a voice that could bring angels to tears. I saw the great man several times, and got to talk to him once in the early eighties, after a gig in my home town [Blackheath]. We all miss you, but your wild and beautiful ways remain with us always. R.I.P. John, and, wherever you are, Give`em Hell!!!
on 25 August 2009
A superbly presented double CD of one of John's finest moments. This deluxe edition is the one to have. Beautifully designed and informative. The original disc needs no introduction to the faithful, but for those new to his work then 'Small Hours', 'Couldn't love you more' 'Sweet Certain Surprise' and the title track should convince anyone of his genius. The bonus CD has some real gems included, particularly the 5 track section of John live in London 1978 - truly gorgeous. Any fan of great music should look to put this album in their collection.
on 24 February 2009
I remember when I first herd this album I just knew that this was what it was going to sound like. I had heard Inside Out and seen him on Whistle Test so I guess all the signs were there but this was pretty far out stuff from a man who had emerged from that rather uptight folk circuit.

I recently came across a website by some dreadful San Francisco DJ that said that this was where everything went wrong for John Martyn. I guess if he had been a jazz critic when Miles Davis release Bitches Brew he would have been right there with the "real jazz" brigade condemning the betrayal of the true music, how pathetic.

This is a brilliant album an here we finally get the expanded sound that was always lurking in there waiting for the techology to catch up.

I still hear people saying "..vinyl is better sounding isn't it..." well no of course it isn't. A medium that more accurately reproduces sound is better, but it needs the quality of input to get a better output. The problem with so many albums as they were churned out of CD was that there was no regard for the process of getting the music onto CD. For some albums it has taken 30 years to get to the point where they are remastered with sufficient care to draw out the depth of sound that has lurked in there.

Not that the original CD of One World didn't sound great, it did but here you get that bit more, better separation, less claustrophobic a sound.

From Dealer, to Small Hours, of the original album, you get a range of beautifully sustained moods that just sweep you up but you also get the alternate takes and works in progress that were previously release as Another World but again here sounding even better than they did before.

John Martyn was a flawed genius but his music shines on. People looking for the more truely Folk alligned music still have Solid Air, Bless the Weather etc, but this is simply a perfect album. It defies genre but who cares.

When BBC Scotland filmed one of the Transatlantic Sessions they got John playing with Danny Thompson, the mood was very much a search for common roots in traditional Celtic music that spanned the Atlantic but John and Danny played a blinding version of Big Muff! The man was a joy, although his physical decline was very sad to witness in his last years. My father always said that you have to separate the artist from his art, they influenc eachother but they are not the same so i guess that is so with John, his soul remains beautiful through his music.
on 26 July 2016
I'm a great admirer of Johnny,but in my opinion,this was the beginning of a decline in his output.OK,the preceding folk/jazz albums are far less rock influenced,and that influences my opinion.JM,as a rocker,less my own particular cup of tea.It's a mixture,here,for me,I stress.I wouldn't be without it,but onnce the rot set in,the Phil Collins/Clapton interference,the work became less consistent.BUT,credit to Johnny for not standing still.Some great things here,nevertheless,and depending on taste,you may think ALL great things.But anyone can rock,few can move me as JM does in his acoustic music,with or without the echoplex.Great voice,great guitarist,great artist,bad choice of friends to attempt to direct his career,make him a star in a style already overburdened.Not that JM is mediocre,but the rock style should be left in hands of lesser talents,lacking his individuality.So I think,anyway.