Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£75.57+ £1.26 shipping

on 5 May 2015
When watching this video, there were times when I had tears in my eyes. It was wonderful to see the archive footage of some of the great names in baseball. Seeing and hearing Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson and others cannot help but stir the passion of anyone with even a passing interest in the game.
Some others who have reviewed this tape have criticized it for being centered on New York teams and for neglecting some of the teams who came from nowhere to win titles. This criticism is true, but unfounded. There were two things that dramatically changed the game and both took place in New York. The first was when Babe Ruth began hitting home runs at a pace previously unthinkable. I consider his numbers in the early years as a Yankee outfielder to be the most amazing statistics in all of sports. It is incredible that he hit more home runs than many others teams did in those seasons. Some talk negatively about the adulation given to sports stars these days, and yet none approaches the level of stardom achieved by Ruth.
The second was when Jackie Robinson joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. We celebrate Martin Luther King Day as a tribute to his struggle for civil rights. However, it can be strongly argued, and correctly in my opinion, that Jackie Robinson did more for the struggle than Dr. King did. The pressure on Robinson was enormous, at times having thousands of people screaming abuse at him. And yet he succeeded on the field, still considered by many to be the most exciting player of his generation. It is also hard to underestimate the effect this had on the American society. Many people who otherwise would have nothing to do with a black man cheered him on the field, and found at least some of their attitudes changed.
The lament of the Boston Red Sox is also a major part of the video. No one could possibly forget the Carlton Fisk home run or that slow ground ball moving through Bill Buckner's legs. I saw both live and each kept me up for hours after the event. One statement made several times in the tape that may seem frivolous is how the grass just seems greener in baseball stadiums. My personal experience backs that. The greenest, most beautiful grass I have ever seen was in Wrigley Field.
Baseball is a great game, the only major one where many of the players just don't look like athletes. Babe Ruth looked more like a bartender than an athlete as did some pitchers of the sixties and seventies. And yet they have some of the most incredible skills, as I can attest after trying to hit a ninety mile-per-hour fastball. I lived baseball in my youth, but lately the pressures of a career have led me astray. This tape brought me back to my younger days when I knew all the great players as well as their lifetime statistics. It made me something that I have rarely if ever been, nostalgic for my youth.
on 11 August 2015
The depth and breadth of this documentary are superb. If you are just after sport history you will be fullfilled. If you still retain that memory of playing as a kid and remembering the heroes who's skill (and mere name) excited you, some of this will drill directly to your core and fill you with nostalgia, and the wish to be 12 again and in the park playing. A wonderful celbration (without be rose-tinted) of baseball.
on 22 February 2013
An amazing documentry, starts with the usual ken burns style in the early discs but gets so much better when you get the actual film footage. I had a fondness for the game seeing it on ESPN and was lucky enough to goto Yankee stadium and Shea during visits to NYC but like any game the history helps you understand it better and now even as a Brit I get why this game is so loved by so many . This is THE baseball documentry don't even bother with anything else I loved it and will enjoy watching again and again
on 13 June 2013
This is a series I've wanted to see for ages. UK Baseball fans get little enough of the game here on TV - and the decision (??) to make this only Region 1 makes it harder for us. There are multi region players, but to get that and NTSC/PAL players is well nigh impossible. I bought it, I cannot watch it, and I'm gutted. Who's benefit can this serve? US opera tapes (also NTSC) are always muti-region - I had hoped for the same.
on 19 November 2014
I'd really love to buy this product as it looks great and sounds very interesting.
Does anyone know of a Region 0 version available.
I appreciate that region 1 is not compatible with UK and Europe DVD players.
Thank you.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2012
Watched the entire series numerous times. 20s-40s is my favorite. Endless interviews, rare footage and anecdotes. Inside baseball at its best.
on 17 March 2016
A must for any baseball fan. Loads of great photos and video from the past and a great deal of information about the growth of America's game.
on 29 March 2016